• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I get google maps to work without GPS signal?

Hi,

When i used google maps with my N96 it used to load up first and show my approximate location, so it would guess where I was to the nearest 100metres or something like that, and then when the GPS loaded up it pinpointed my exact location. Is it possible to do that with google maps for the hero?

It would make using things like "places directory" and generally getting directions with google maps a lot easier if you could check out something indoors, then it would lock down your location when you went outside and found your gps

any ideas?

thanks

SImon

ah - it was in the settings...my location

i have now turned on wireless networks and gps on - it seems now that it searches by wireless locations first, then activates the gps afterwards - just what i wanted! Although I have to turn gps off manually after which is a bit of a pain not to worry though, all good

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones