• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I lock icons on desktop in Android?!

I'm getting tired of having apps disappear without my knowledge, because it's way too easy to wipe an app off the phone, or its icon. But I don't want another launcher, because they completely take over the place, disabling my beautiful MIUI themes, widgets, lockscreens, etc. Is there not a way, app, whatever, to simply LOCK icons & widgets on the desktop screens??

Really?! After this many years Android has been out?! I'm finding that hard to believe, that with 60 billion apps that can do everything but make you breakfast, no one has come out with a single one that just locks your apps to prevent accidental deletion! Even though its very much doable.

Upvote 0
I had to come in here. I just searched Google and this site came up. I think it is the perfect place. I have been for a long time looking for an application that will lock the apps and widgets in place. If my screen is on then I rub up against it the icons will move our the widgets will move to a different screen some times the icons will disappear. So I agree with the person who started this thread. There needs to be An application that will prevent the accidental movement of icons and widgets regardless of operating system.

Upvote 0
Quite confused by this thread. But interesting. I am wondering how the icons will disappear ? :eek:
I will consult my team members for this . Lock apps , we do have an app for android, simply Super AppLock, lock apps and more functions . Recently I get notification from Google that they don't allow " uninstall protection " function . Quite confused . Anyone has the same problem with me ?

Upvote 0
I had to come in here. I just searched Google and this site came up. I think it is the perfect place. I have been for a long time looking for an application that will lock the apps and widgets in place. If my screen is on then I rub up against it the icons will move our the widgets will move to a different screen some times the icons will disappear. So I agree with the person who started this thread. There needs to be An application that will prevent the accidental movement of icons and widgets regardless of operating system.
Welcome. Locking icons in place depends on one (and only one) application: your launcher.

If your launcher doesn't have the feature to lock icons against accidental movement (and it's a feature you need), then find a launcher that does have this feature...like nova.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My pocket has recently started moving and deleting app icons (and changing my background and text size, but that's another problem). I remember changing something to enable app drag 'n drop without having to manually select Edit some time ago, but I can't remember how I did it so I can't turn it back off again. Any ideas?

I have a Galaxy S5 running 5.0 with the out-of-the-box touchwiz launcher.

Upvote 0
Some of you (e.g. @chanchan05 ) mocking people that have this problem, are borderline trolling. You just love arguing over the internet, huh? How macho.

I do have this problem. I often accidentally move, create folders, and remove icons from my screen (Galaxy S7 Edge).

I realize why this is happening to me even more with this phone:
  1. The edge alloys my fingers to "roll over the screen" accidentally when holding my phone, and,
  2. When I press of power button, the screen doesn't immediately lock. That is, I 'lock' my screen with the power button and go about my way or put it in my pocket. But then, the Home button inadvertently ready for my wandering fingers or tights to do their damage.
My solution to minimize this from happening (because I don't want to install a 3rd party app:
  1. Change the lock setting to lock automatically (Settings-> Lock screen and security -> Secure lock settings -> Select "Lock instantly with power key". Also, set "Lock automatically" to "Immediately")
  2. If you don't want to have your screen lock immediately when it turns off, if available to you, select "Keep screen turned off" in dark places, like your pocket, under "Display and wallpaper" settings.
  3. Someone (@weazy ) already suggested this here: 'Touch and hold delay' setting from 0.5 seconds (short) to 1.5 seconds (long) under 'Settings-Accessibility-Dexterity and interaction'
I hope this helps you out. For those of you cynical haters that enjoy putting people down on the internet, do yourself a favor and go outside and breathe some fresh air.

Reactions: CheriePie
Upvote 0
Some of you (e.g. @chanchan05 ) mocking people that have this problem, are borderline trolling. You just love arguing over the internet, huh? How macho.

I do have this problem. I often accidentally move, create folders, and remove icons from my screen (Galaxy S7 Edge).

I realize why this is happening to me even more with this phone:
  1. The edge alloys my fingers to "roll over the screen" accidentally when holding my phone, and,
  2. When I press of power button, the screen doesn't immediately lock. That is, I 'lock' my screen with the power button and go about my way or put it in my pocket. But then, the Home button inadvertently ready for my wandering fingers or tights to do their damage.
My solution to minimize this from happening (because I don't want to install a 3rd party app:
  1. Change the lock setting to lock automatically (Settings-> Lock screen and security -> Secure lock settings -> Select "Lock instantly with power key". Also, set "Lock automatically" to "Immediately")
  2. If you don't want to have your screen lock immediately when it turns off, if available to you, select "Keep screen turned off" in dark places, like your pocket, under "Display and wallpaper" settings.
  3. Someone (@weazy ) already suggested this here: 'Touch and hold delay' setting from 0.5 seconds (short) to 1.5 seconds (long) under 'Settings-Accessibility-Dexterity and interaction'
I hope this helps you out. For those of you cynical haters that enjoy putting people down on the internet, do yourself a favor and go outside and breathe some fresh air.

You missed the entire point of a years old post. It's not as much as problems moving around the icons as much as problems of accidentally uninstalling them. The video already shows that on routine handling on a flat screened phone, apps do not just move around, which highlights that EVEN IF you randomly move around the apps, its very unlikely to accidentally uninstall them because not only do you have to accidentally move them to the specific uninstall icon, you also have to specifically approve the uninstall action.

If you fully read the post, you'd see that I blame it on the UI the original poster was using (Miui), which was a third party UI he installed on his phone, which decreased the long press time significantly, and removed the standard Android dialogue box of confirming an uninstall.

And things have changed a lot since then. The S7 Edge design does a lot to create accidental touches.

So I hit a nerve on you when you were told that you're likely handling it wrong. You felt mocked. But that's not what I intended, and everybody is free to express their thoughts.

Upvote 0
I'm getting tired of having apps disappear without my knowledge, because it's way too easy to wipe an app off the phone, or its icon. But I don't want another launcher, because they completely take over the place, disabling my beautiful MIUI themes, widgets, lockscreens, etc. Is there not a way, app, whatever, to simply LOCK icons & widgets on the desktop screens??

Really?! After this many years Android has been out?! I'm finding that hard to believe, that with 60 billion apps that can do everything but make you breakfast, no one has come out with a single one that just locks your apps to prevent accidental deletion! Even though its very much doable.

Oh, they have. :)
If you accidentally delete an app icon, no need to worry - it doesn't delete the app itself. Just go to your app menu (or widget menu if it's a widget you accidentally chucked) and find the app/widget you mistakenly swiped off your home screen and drag it back.

Upvote 0
I have a user request and the user is just a little bit particular!

The user wants to be able to lock the android home screens to both prevent adding and prevent moving/rearranging of the 'shortcut' icons the request makes sense as the tablet is in a public area and although many things are locked down, the icons are not and there have been many removed, rearranged and duplicated on the 'desktops/home screens'. The functionality remains but it becomes a cluttered mess instead of a clear and simple interface.
You can turn off adding new shortcuts to homescreen and locking the homescreen using Nova.

Reactions: badcatz
Upvote 0
I don't know why you guys are getting into a debate about how hard it is to delete apps on an Android phone. I told you it's a problem, and that I'm looking for a solution. I'm not looking to be told I'm imagining things or that it's not a problem for me or anyone else, when it is. I'm just looking for a solution; ie. an app that can lock down apps (but does not take over the system like a launcher).

It doesn't matter if it's not a problem for you in particular. That's great for you. But it's a problem for me, it's a problem for my GF, it's a problem for a number of people I've spoken to, on and off Android forums. It's especially a problem when I don't know what app has been accidentally deleted.

And btw, I don't have a Samsung "TouchWiz", I have an HTC Desire. And if all you have to do is drag an icon to the bottom or top of a screen, then walla, that is the problem. My experience is that it takes very little effort to do that unknowingly. It has bupkis to do with the ROM you are using or whether it's rooted, and more to do with what I said - routine handling of the phone due to the poor design of Android. It's obviously not that difficult to wipe an app or its icon off of my phone, because like I said, it happens on a regular basis. It happened when I was on stock 2.1 Android, it happened on stock Froyo, it happened on Lee Droid ROM, it happens on MIUI, etc ETC ETC!!

Once again: does anyone know of an app that locks desktop icons prevention their deletion, that is not a dock/launcher? It would help a number of us Android users experiencing this same problem.
I feel your pain. You want to see my face when I accidentally remove a folder full of icons? I have being looking for a solution for a long time. As far as I remember I used a launcher to lock the icons but have since stopped using it.

I don't want to lock my screens ; just the folders and icons on the screen

I suggest a solution ; if I can group the applications from the app list, then I don't need the lock. Simply put the group on to the screen

Upvote 0
I have a user request and the user is just a little bit particular!

The user wants to be able to lock the android home screens to both prevent adding and prevent moving/rearranging of the 'shortcut' icons the request makes sense as the tablet is in a public area and although many things are locked down, the icons are not and there have been many removed, rearranged and duplicated on the 'desktops/home screens'. The functionality remains but it becomes a cluttered mess instead of a clear and simple interface.
If you're using Google Play Store to download apps, simply turn off the "Create shortcuts for downloaded apps" option in Settings.

Upvote 0
Actually the problem this guy is describing it is as a result of handling. My son often plays with my phone I'll let him play with my phone to play his games, but sometimes he'll accidentally drag an app icon up to the top which deletes the app icon. Case in point I had a bunch of apps grouped into an icon folder I had many of my apps grouped this way and he'll drag them up to the top accidentally, really not knowing what he's doing and then of course I lose them and I can't remember what apps are grouped with what and so that kind of gets annoying. It would be nice if there was a setting somewhere in the Android OS that would allow me to turn it on so that if my son were to accidentally take an app icon and drag it to the top Android would just move it right back to where it was instead of deleting it.

Upvote 0
The desktop and its icons aren't part of the Android OS. They are provided by an app called a "launcher". Each manufacturer bundles its own launcher, but you can replace it with a different one from the Play Store.

This is important because if your stock launcher doesn't have the feature you want, you can look for another which has. In particular many replacement launchers do have the option to "lock" the desktop in their settings, which means that you cannot accidentally move or remove icons.

This is a good general rule with Android: there's no law that says you have to use the bundled apps, you can always look for an alternative that suits you better.

Upvote 0
Case in point I had a bunch of apps grouped into an icon folder I had many of my apps grouped this way and he'll drag them up to the top accidentally, really not knowing what he's doing and then of course I lose them and I can't remember what apps are grouped with what and so that kind of gets annoying.

This may be device dependent, but in my app drawer I have a 'Custom' arrangement option which allows me to create my app folders in the app drawer and when I accidentally swipe up a folder and lose it (yes, it does happen), it can be replaced as easily as a single app icon (HTC M9).

Screenshot_20170226-060538.png

If you have 'Accessibility' settings on your device it is also possible to reduce the chances of accidentally swiping up app icons or folders by setting 'Touch & hold delay' to `Long'. The slight downside is the affect it has on all other longpress functions eg. copy and paste.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

not sure hold old this thread is but I totally get what you're asking. I fidget with my phone and accidently moving and deleting icons. Seems like a simple fix other than using lock screen which I hate and get locked out of it

Upvote 0
I too am frustrated with shortcut disappearing from my screens. The apps don't uninstall but when I have a blank spot on a screen I know that a shortcut is missing. Then I have to figure out what shortcut is missing. I wish there was a way to freeze the icons.

If you don't want to try other Launchers as suggested in earlier posts a simple alternative would be to take and keep screenshots of your screens and folders.

Screenshot_20170606-070800.png Screenshot_20170606-070957.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones