• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I make Bluetooth 5 use WiFi like 3 did so I get the 24Mbps?

Sunny Rio

Android Enthusiast
  • Dec 4, 2020

Please don’t tell me you can’t get 24Mbps. The 24 in v3 came by using the Wifi. Here is a guy demonstrating it. How do I make 5 do this?

P.S. no idea why this ended up in the lounge, I was never asked which forum to put it in.

Please don’t tell me you can’t get 24Mbps. The 24 in v3 came by using the Wifi. Here is a guy demonstrating it. How do I make 5 do this?

P.S. no idea why this ended up in the lounge, I was never asked which forum to put it in.

It does, doesn't it?

That video was made 13 years ago, and the more recent BT 5.0 spec is capable of 50Mbps.
    https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/server/know-how/bluetooth/
    Bluetooth 5 December 2016 50Mbit/s

Upvote 0
    why are you using bluetooth to transfer files? there are faster and more secure ways to do this.

https://www.airdroid.com/file-transfer/bluetooth-file-transfer/

Because bluetooth is 50 times easier than anything else. and I don't care for security, I'm seding photos and videos from my phone to my PC, and downloaded APKs from my PC to my computer.

It does, doesn't it?

That video was made 13 years ago, and the more recent BT 5.0 spec is capable of 50Mbps.
    https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/server/know-how/bluetooth/
    Bluetooth 5 December 2016 50Mbit/s

So it claims, yet when you buy an adapter it says 3Mbps.

Upvote 0
    Video is from Atheros sales department.
    The HS (high speed) 3.0 mode was implemented (and worked) only in VERY FEW chipset.
    If I remember well, for HS mode to work, the same chip ha to manage BOTH bluetooth AND Wifi.

This standard never had success.
    Same thing for HS equivalent in BT4.x and 5.X.
    Fastest bluetooth transfer speed is still 3Mbits /sec (BT 2.0 EDR PHY (8 DPSK) mode)

Upvote 0
    I see. Typical, not enough standardisation. Just try buying a part for your car. I've just broken a hub flange because they sent a driveshaft for a car with a 1.4 litre engine instead of a 1.6 litre engine. Parts supplier said they were universal, mechanic didn't notice. Worked for 30 miles then destroyed both. Court case coming....

I'm using KDE connect, recommended in this thread somewhere I think. Install on phone and PC, it transfers over wireless. I can just highlight some photos on my phone and click the icon for my PC, and they appear instantly.

Next phone will be a windows phone then it will be as easy as transferring files over a network between two computers. To hell with this Android rubbish.

I think Apple users have some cloud thing which makes it automatic, but that sorta thing confuses me. I want to put things in a particular place manually so I know where they actually are, not just hope it knows what it's doing. I don't open my kitchen cupboard and throw in some biscuits and hope they appear on the right shelf.

Upvote 0
    Yup, that's apparently how Bluetooth is. You might get 3Mbits/sec, despite what the ads and blogs might say. And if you want faster. Good luck with your quest.

I've only really used Bluetooth with my fitness band for recording my heart-rate, and for playing music on various earbuds and headphones, and have had no problems with that.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    That's the trouble, the standard makers never think far enough ahead, so companies end up doing their own thing, in many different incompatible ways.

As for bluetooth, it's a very handy convenient way to transfer without setting anything complicated up. If I meet Mr Smith and want to give him a photo from my phone, Bluetooth is the easiest way. Oh, unless he has an Iphone. Apple don't give a flying intercourse about their customers, they just want them to pay vast sums of money to itunes, therefore deny them getting files from anyone else lest they circumvent the itunes payments.

That actually happened to me twice. I was at a zoo, and the automated boards for feeding times were busted. I had gone to reception and she had the times on her computer screen, so I photographed it with my Android phone. When I met a woman later on grumbling at the broken sign, I said I've got them here on my phone, then tried to bluetooth them to her. Didn't work, no error message, just didn't work, we didn't know why. But she did say it was "random if it worked or not". Then when I got home (I was staying with my aunt who also has an iphone), I tried to send hundreds of photos to her with bluetooth. Again, same problem. So I looked it up on google. And found out about the Apple utter scam. Why do people fall for that company's nonsense? Yes, let's pay more for a phone where the battery runs flatter quicker, the camera is lower resolution, you need different apps than everyone else, and you can't transfer files to them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones