How do I set how often Gmail checks my mail.Support

Last Updated:

1. pospower

pospower Active Member This Topic's Starter

How do I set how often Gmail checks my mail.

Advertisement
  2. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

GMail is push by default. I believe if you want to set a check interval, you'll need to set it up in the HTC Mail client versus using GMail.

3. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

....or turn it off and refresh it manually.

4. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

How do you do this? I am using HTC Mail as I find it a much nicer interface. I don't want Gmail still using Push and wasting battery.

5. Rubik76

Should be as simple as setting up GMail for IMAP (Enabling IMAP - Gmail Help) and adding it as an account in the HTC mail app. You may still need to go to Accounts and Sync and uncheck the sync for Google Mail (I'd leave Contacts synced though, unless you really don't want them to sync).

6. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I think I was asking a different question.

I have Gmail working in HTC Mail. I get notifications for new emails instantly. I just want to turn OFF any Gmail App functionality so it doesn't use battery as I no longer use the app.

7. Rubik76

Ah, sorry. I'd think Menu > Settings > Accounts and Sync > Google (tap) and uncheck what you don't want to sync.

lookinin likes this.
  8. frankbradley

frankbradley New Member

When I try to do as you say I get a message telling me that the account is required by some applications and can only be removed by resetting to factory defaults - which I guess means I'd lose all my customisations - not really what I want to do.

9. AJ McKay

AJ McKay Well-Known Member

Just turn off notifications in the Gmail App. I don't think you can keep it from pushing, and I don't think it wastes battery since the App isn't polling. You'll still see your up to date inbox if you open it, so it is doing some syncing, but I doubt it's any more than the rest of the google stuff that syncs in the background.

I switched from the Gmail App to the stock app after updating to Froyo because I couldn't get my second Gmail App to update properly. Seemed like stuff was getting pushed but I wasn't getting notified. Now, with the stock app, I have it syncing every 30 minutes which keeps me from getting bombarded with e-mail all the time. Plus, combined inbox, w00t!