How do I turn S-OFF to S-ON?

Last Updated:

1. Itlooksfast

Itlooksfast Well-Known Member

Ok I recently rooted my 2.1 with UnrEVOked3 then did UnrEVOked Forever. Then I flashed the stock Froyo Rom. Everything was fine. Then a few glitches...lagging, auto reboot, GPS not working property...

Anyways, since UnrEVOked is coming out with a root method for Froyo....I decided to unroot my phone. I successfully uprooted my phone. But ever since then I haven't receive the OTA Froyo update yet. I went into Hboot and realized the S-OFF didn't change. Does it matters if its S-On or S- Off to get the OTA update? Also, I still want get Froyo...is there a way to get it without rooting?

Advertisement
  2. kkl1993

kkl1993 Well-Known Member

no s-off or s-on does not do anything with the OTA. i am s-off and received the OTA. you can manually put the OTA in ur phone. it will pop up like a regular OTA
  3. Itlooksfast

Ok great!! Now how would manually put the OTA on my phone so that it will pop up for ne to install?
  4. Bing

Bing Well-Known Member

This is a newbie question (especially considering how technical I am), but what is S-OFF? I've seen it talked about many times, but never been able to find a description....
  5. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member

I could be wrong since I haven't really taken the time to understand everything about rooting, but I think s-on/s-off is a program that keeps your phone rooted forever, even if you receive licensed upgrades (i.e. OTA Froyo from VZW).
  6. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

You are correct Bundy.

normally S-OFF could be turned off by upgrading to an OTA like on the Eris.

but with unrevoked forever, they hooked it up so the ONLY way to turn it back is by there s-on file.
  7. Berry2Droid

Berry2Droid Well-Known Member

it stands for security-off/on. Security being the fact that you can remove and change system files.
  8. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

I am feeling lazy today so I am just going to copy/paste this info from a news site.

The unrevoked team has really outdone themselves this time. If it wasn
  9. kkl1993

kkl1993 Well-Known Member

10. Itlooksfast

I kept getting error msg and installation abort.
  11. EricS96521

EricS96521 Well-Known Member

What he said^^. And if that doesn't work, format your sd card to FAT32.
  12. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Seems like this thread should be in the "All Things Root" forum
  13. NMMI89

NMMI89 Well-Known Member

....so, with the new 3.2 version of UnrEVOked3 and UnrEVOked Forever you can turn S-Off and S-On manually?
    I have the Froyo 2.2 OTA update already. So, I can just root now with UnrEVOked3 correct?
  14. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Yes.
  15. aaratpatel

aaratpatel Member

guys please help me how to root my phone, i am Indian user of HTC INcredible S, S-off, Android 2.3.3,
    Product: HTC_vivo
    brand: HTC_Asia_india
    Bootloader: 1.13.0000
    Radio: unknown
    Hw- vivo
    kernel- Linux 2.6.35.9

thanks
  16. jmar

jmar Nexican VIP Member

Go to the incredible s forum for your answers friend.
    aaratpatel likes this.
  17. aaratpatel

aaratpatel Member

Droid incredible is also known as incredible S
  18. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

No, you want to be here:
    HTC Incredible S - Android Forums

The Incredible S uses the Alpharev exploit whereas we use Unrevoked. I'm not sure if they have an S-on file yet but your answer can be found there I'm sure.
    jmar likes this.
  19. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

in addition this is a REALLY old necro that needs locked
  20. jmar

jmar Nexican VIP Member

Incredible S is the fraternal twin of the Droid Incredible 2.