• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do you guys confirm if SetCPU is working right?

I should have clarified that you could not (at that time) uc/oc the 2.6.32.17 stock kernel. As of setPCU 2.04 (released this week) you can. By default, you cannot disable perflock on a stock kernel.

Do you mean when not rooted? Yep true enough. But setCPU 2.0.2 was controlling my completely stock but rooted phone just fine, it took 2.0.3 to get perflock unlocked on boot (great tool by the way, donation worthy)

edit - ok, saw that you were referring to newer stock vs older stock above so yeah that required 2.0.4 but prior what you couldn't do was unlock perlock on boot of the original 2.2 kernel

Upvote 0
Do you mean when not rooted? Yep true enough. But setCPU 2.0.2 was controlling my completely stock but rooted phone just fine, it took 2.0.3 to get perflock unlocked on boot (great tool by the way, donation worthy)

No, it has nothing to do with root (obviously you have to be rooted to use setCPU). The app has to be updated to support each kernel. If you look in the changelogs, you'll see when he adds support for each of the kernels. It used to be that you had to run a custom kernel completely.

Upvote 0
No, it has nothing to do with root (obviously you have to be rooted to use setCPU). The app has to be updated to support each kernel. If you look in the changelogs, you'll see when he adds support for each of the kernels. It used to be that you had to run a custom kernel completely.

could be but i've been rooted/using setcpu on 2.2 since forever so.. must have been dumb luck if you say it didn't work cause it sure did, and it claimed perflock unlock was experimental and might crash but it worked just fine.

Upvote 0
Please someone help me understand this

On main screen in SetCPU:
245/806 onDemand, set on boot

Profiles:
charging/AC/Full 245/460 onDemand, 94 priority
Screen Off 245/384 onDemand, 90 priority

So if i understand this correctly, I should never go over 806mhz. Also when i plug the phone into the wall, it should not go higher than 460mhz

But right now i opened up the SetCPU app, and i keep seeing it jump to 998

And it is plugged in right now, why is it ignoring my charging profile? Why is it ignoring my main cap of 806mhz?

Upvote 0

Profiles:

So if i understand this correctly, I should never go over 806mhz. Also when i plug the phone into the wall, it should not go higher than 460mhz

And it is plugged in right now, why is it ignoring my charging profile? Why is it ignoring my main cap of 806mhz?

bump for this ^

its driving me crazy thinking about how i might have done something wrong

Upvote 0

Profiles:

Menu/Perflock Disabler. Then make sure it is set to Set on Boot

Upvote 0
To the OP:

Here is how I checked to see if SetCPU was running (I'm running stock Sense ROM)

1. In the Main tab, set Max to full CPU (998)
2. In Info tab, press Long Bench. Note the time it took (mine took 455ms)
3. in the Main tab, set Max to lowest CPU (245).
4. In Info tab, press Long Bench. Note the time it took (mine took 1748ms)

Your time in Step 4 should be longer than in Step 1, because the CPU is underclocked and it takes longer to run the benchmark test. The actual numbers shouldn't matter, as long as one is significantly larger than the other.

EDIT: Make sure to turn your max back up to full CPU after doing this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones