• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How does one flash a kernel?

So I take it, you can flash a root kernel if you already have installed a modified CF-root kernel?

It's just that here is written:
You can also root your device by simply flashing a root kernel. If you want to do this then stop reading this guide and follow the root guide for the kernel you wish to use.

And I can't find a guide for my kernel (XWKDD-CL16...), SGS2.

Upvote 0
hey guys.. am having some questions.. Can you guys please clarify..

1. what is the meaning of CF-root kernels.
2. can I change the kernels without rooting it. As i having SG2 and in its rooting procedure they told to flash insecure kernels before roooting...
3.What are the things first I have to do after rooting

a. take the back up of ROM.
b. search for good ROMs.
c. ????????????????????

Upvote 0
hey guys.. am having some questions.. Can you guys please clarify..

1. what is the meaning of CF-root kernels.
2. can I change the kernels without rooting it. As i having SG2 and in its rooting procedure they told to flash insecure kernels before roooting...
3.What are the things first I have to do after rooting

a. take the back up of ROM.
b. search for good ROMs.
c. ????????????????????
hello and welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!
what carrier are you on?

Upvote 0
Okay seems like you know what your talking about. I'm not new to rooting but all I have done is flashed roms so far and I've always wondered how flash a kernel. I'm on a galaxy s2 skyrocket running cm9. So do I just download the kernel(.zip) and flash it via cwm? Is it that simple? And I've read you have to whipe cache and dalvik before. Let me know please and thank you.

Upvote 0
Okay seems like you know what your talking about. I'm not new to rooting but all I have done is flashed roms so far and I've always wondered how flash a kernel. I'm on a galaxy s2 skyrocket running cm9. So do I just download the kernel(.zip) and flash it via cwm? Is it that simple? And I've read you have to whipe cache and dalvik before. Let me know please and thank you.
You want to be in this forum----
Galaxy S2 Skyrocket - All Things Root - Android Forums

If its anything similar to the Evo 4g (the forum you are in now), then yes, download kernel, wipe caceh and dalvik cache, then flash. But post that question over there just to be sure.
Make sure kernel is made for cm9 (aosp kernel for aosp rom....sense kernel for sense rom)
Happy flashing!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones