• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How happy are you now with your g pad?

Being from Canada we do not have the luxury of having this pad available to us. We were down in the U.S. this weekend and I was tempted to buy one but could not find a Black one at any Best Buy! Seeing that they are on clearance now, is this the end for it? Is a refresh coming? I like the current price for the features and will be down in the U.S. again end of November.

I would use this as a sales tool, odd games, etc, business alternative to a bulky laptop which I have at home. My wife has the Note 8.0 and bought the Zagg keyboard and loves it, so I would bite the bullet and spend the money as well if I pick one up.

Now that you guys have had it for a while, overall impressions? Are there issues with the screen? I would prefer an 8" screen, and options are limited right now, and would like a change of pace from Samsung..

I've had mine since December. I also have a Galaxy Note and Note 3 so I understand Samsung's way of doing things. I am quite happy with my G Pad 8.3. The size is spot on and the performance is adequate for playing games such as Real Racing 3. The screen may appear tinted in direct comparison with other brands, but in normal daily use I have no issues with the screen colour/contrast/brightness etc..

If I HAD to replace it today I would probably go for a Galaxy Tab S 8.4, but since my G Pad is in perfect working order I am happy to stay as I am for a long while yet.

Upvote 0
Had mine in UK 6 mths. If the screen size and chassis size is the key factor, then nothing beats it for anywhere near the price. If 7in isnt too small then the latest nexus 7 is its closest contender penny for penny. Mind you theres no expansion other than via cloud storage. If money isnt the issue, then samsungs lastst 8.4 pads are likely to offer a slight edge in performance.
Why did I choose the g-pad? Screen size & resolution, SD expansion, build quality, all at a very reasonable

Upvote 0
I received my G Pad yesterday and after a bit of re-acquainting myself with LG's default UI, I managed to get it up and running and installed my favorite Launcher.

This tablet is fabulous. I use my tablets to read, write and sketch. With an Adonit Jot-Pro I was sketching away with far more accuracy than I ever did with an Apple iPad.

Reading is great as well. I was never happy trying to read a novel on the glossy screen of the iPad so I had been reading on my G3 instead. The G Pad is not as crisp as a paperwhite kindle but its better than an iPad.

The keyboard is very conducive for writing. Far less typos than when I type on a smaller screen such as my G3 or iPhone 5s.

At only $49 from Verizon, I'm glad I jumped on this deal.

Upvote 0
LG knew what they were doing when they designed the 8.3. I honestly don't know how or why 7" became the standard size for smaller tablets. With the 8.3 you've got the biggest screen possible on a tablet that can still be comfortably held with one hand, and for a long time without fatigue. Maybe older tablets with their bigass bezels and 7" screens this was the case, and so the 7" size became the standard.

I got mine for $230 from Newegg in April. You can get them for less on eBay now. It's a superior device to the Nexus 7 (unless you're a flashaholic) and at a better price (especially if you consider the microSD slot). Even though it's older, and the hardware is slightly long in the tooth for the more graphically intense games, it's still an excellent tablet for the price.

If I broke mine, I'd very probably just get another rather than going with something different. Although the nVidia Shield is pretty badass.

Upvote 0
I've had mine since December. I also have a Galaxy Note and Note 3 so I understand Samsung's way of doing things. I am quite happy with my G Pad 8.3. The size is spot on and the performance is adequate for playing games such as Real Racing 3. The screen may appear tinted in direct comparison with other brands, but in normal daily use I have no issues with the screen colour/contrast/brightness etc..

If I HAD to replace it today I would probably go for a Galaxy Tab S 8.4, but since my G Pad is in perfect working order I am happy to stay as I am for a long while yet.
Just an update as mine approaches one year old. It actually stopped working last week. It was non responsive and when rebooted went into a bit loop. Repeated efforts to reboot result in further boot loops. Two attempts at a factory reset failed to fix it, so I contacted LG UK for warranty repair.

They sent a prepaid special delivery envelope, with additional Jiffy bag for protection, which I sent off last Friday. On Monday I received notice of courier delivery for Tuesday, with an option to pick it up myself or reschedule if more convenient. I rescheduled for today and expect to receive it late this afternoon. Hopefully it will arrive in perfect order, in which case I will have to commend LG on superb support service. If I don't post again you can assume all is well. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones