• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How long before Verizon follows suit?

I don't think (or wasn't aware) that Verizon has a "no tethering" policy. I think tethering is fine, as long as it is not wi-fi. The AT&T policy seems to restrict all tethering. I would think it would be tougher for VZW to determine whether you are tethering via USB vs wi-fi. Hopefully that means they won't bother taking the same measures as AT&T.

Upvote 0
Verizon doesn't have the bandwidth problem that AT&T does, so I don't think this is going to be an immediate concern for them.
^ive heard this as well from a verizon representative (via a phone conversation). of course the same guy told me they werent getting rid of unlimitted for smart phones and now i hear they are.
--------------------
anymore i dont worry about any of it; if they expect me to pay any more money or get rid of my unlimited; ill get rid of them.
i want a smart phone, i dont need one....big difference.

Upvote 0
I don't think (or wasn't aware) that Verizon has a "no tethering" policy. I think tethering is fine, as long as it is not wi-fi. The AT&T policy seems to restrict all tethering. I would think it would be tougher for VZW to determine whether you are tethering via USB vs wi-fi. Hopefully that means they won't bother taking the same measures as AT&T.

If a device other than your phone is accessing data over Verizon's network, Verizon definitely expects you to pay an additional monthly fee, regardless of how the device is connected. Last I did it officially, the price varied depending on the data plan you were on - $30/month in addition to a $30 data plan, or $15/month in addition to a $45 data plan (Blackberry BES).

Upvote 0
"of course android is next, the carriers are greedy and love $$$"

Companies and businesses exist to make profits. That's how capitalism works. I choose to use Verizon for my wireless carrier because they provide the best product for my needs. There are other carriers to choose from.

And now there is one less since T-Mobile just got bought by AT&T.
That makes AT&T the largest US carrier.

I guess Verizon will have to buy Sprint :eek:

Upvote 0
And now there is one less since T-Mobile just got bought by AT&T.
That makes AT&T the largest US carrier.

I guess Verizon will have to buy Sprint :eek:

VZW and Sprint will not merge unless Sprint goes to LTE and screws all the current 4G users. I can see people on T-mobile moving away from AT&T if they use smart phones. T-mobile allows tethering at no additional cost and has no data caps, AT&T charges for tethering and has pay per use data.

Upvote 0
This might be obviously impossible, but im not a programer.

Everyone says there is definitely a way for verizon/at&t to see what you are doing because "all routers send information back to the ISP about the hardware accessign the internet, and when you tether your phone is acting like a router"

BUT

Last a knew no one was trying to hack into their linksys router at home....since by rooting/rom'ing/mod'ing our phones (see router) already shouldnt it be possible to further crack the signal our phone (see router) send back to verizon to make it mask this information/mis-label as standard use?

It seems to be that for the skilled programers this would be easier than unraveling all the security necesarry to root in flash in the first place.

Thought?

Developers' input?

Thanks

Upvote 0
This might be obviously impossible, but im not a programer.

Everyone says there is definitely a way for verizon/at&t to see what you are doing because "all routers send information back to the ISP about the hardware accessign the internet, and when you tether your phone is acting like a router"

BUT

Last a knew no one was trying to hack into their linksys router at home....since by rooting/rom'ing/mod'ing our phones (see router) already shouldnt it be possible to further crack the signal our phone (see router) send back to verizon to make it mask this information/mis-label as standard use?

It seems to be that for the skilled programers this would be easier than unraveling all the security necesarry to root in flash in the first place.

Thought?

Developers' input?

Thanks

The problem is... there HAS to be something in the data going out and coming back that tells your phone to send that bit of data over wifi to your other device.

As long as that is there, there will always be a way to determine that you are tethering. And with what I know of networking packet routing, it must always be there.

Upvote 0
VZW and Sprint will not merge unless Sprint goes to LTE and screws all the current 4G users.

Sprint does not have to go LTE, and I will bet anything that VZW will use wimax. Nothing is ever like a football game, where it is us against them.

Wimax can back haul LTE for a fraction that land cables can, about 1 million per mile for cable or 10,000 dollars per 3 miles with wimax.

And before you get started yes sprint will use LTE too, both technologies are really needed to fully develop a solid network.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones