• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How long does your battery last?

so basically if i get a droid and lower the back light and turn off the gps i can get thru a 8 hour day with heavy use??

It depends on a few things, but yeah, you should be able to do that. If; 1) you have a good cell signal and 2) you turn down your screen brightness.

I've used my phone a ton today and after taking it off charge at 6:30 am, I'm down to 40% at 5:15pm. BTW, I leave Bluetooth and GPS on all day. However, I don't use stuff that uses GPS too much. I doesn't use much/any energy by simply being activated. I has to be turned on by an app to really use power (but then it sucks it up).

Upvote 0
Having my Droid for almost 2 months now, I still couldn't tell you how long my battery lasts. What I can tell you though is that it has never died on me, which is all that is important to me. I am constantly plugging it in at my pc, in my car, at work, so have no reason to let it run down to 0 just to see how long it goes.

With these little top offs, the phone easily lasts me a 14 hour day barely getting to 50% before it goes on the charger while I sleep. I keep my screen brightness at about halfway too.

Upvote 0
got my x10a for almost a week and...
i had 58% battery at night and woke up with 53%, it was standing by with wifi/data/GPS and blue tooth turned off. so just standing by alone for 8 hours consumed 5%
i downloaded the battery monitor widget, its telling me that the phone is only drawing 2 to 5 mA from the battery while standing by. and 100-500 mA during active use at full screen brightness (500 - 700mA to play a 720p video at 5000Kbps)

how much % battery do you guys lose just for standing by?

Upvote 0
The last couple of days, after a night of charging to 100%, my phone is sucking up its battery. Yesterday, I used it very little during the day and it was at 5% by 5:00pm (unplugged at around 7:00am). Today, after a full charge overnight, I didn't use it at all and it was to 40% by about 2:00 and is now at 20% at 5:00. Again -- no phone calls or texting. I didn't even wake it up until the times noted above. I am afraid that some "update" has put some things on it that are sucking up the battery life.

Battery life today has been display (31%), phone idle (31%), cell standby (24%), all else less than 10%.

I already uninstalled the app killer after reading they may use more battery than they save. I also turned off a few apps running in the background.

Any ideas? This is a sudden problem. Before this, I could go at least a day if not two on a charge, even when I use it. Phone is Motorola Droid from Verizon.

Upvote 0
The last couple of days, after a night of charging to 100%, my phone is sucking up its battery. Yesterday, I used it very little during the day and it was at 5% by 5:00pm (unplugged at around 7:00am). Today, after a full charge overnight, I didn't use it at all and it was to 40% by about 2:00 and is now at 20% at 5:00. Again -- no phone calls or texting. I didn't even wake it up until the times noted above. I am afraid that some "update" has put some things on it that are sucking up the battery life.

Battery life today has been display (31%), phone idle (31%), cell standby (24%), all else less than 10%.

I already uninstalled the app killer after reading they may use more battery than they save. I also turned off a few apps running in the background.

Any ideas? This is a sudden problem. Before this, I could go at least a day if not two on a charge, even when I use it. Phone is Motorola Droid from Verizon.

Might suck more battery life if you are not getting a good cell signal.
Try updating your cell towers by calling *22899
This most likely will not fix your problem, but it is something you can do within a minute and you can eliminate that as the problem. MotoDroids are inherently bad on battery life imo.

EDIT: Also, by the way you described it if it just started happening a few days ago and before that it was always much better, it's most likely a rogue app you installed a few days ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones