How Long Should Number Porting Take?Support

Last Updated:

1. katamari

katamari Active Member This Topic's Starter

I got my phone today and activated it at about 3:30pm (PST) today. It's just past 8:00pm and my number still hasn't been ported. How long did it take you to port your number? Am I supposed to contact my old network or something?

Advertisement
  2. OctoPI

OctoPI Member

If I remember correctly it took me about 12-18hours. I did it all via the google page but T-Mobile called me about 4 hours after I got my phone and I had to give them my AT&T account number. Then they started the porting.
    Timeline was:
    Got the phone around noon. At 4pm, I got a call from T-Mo and gave them the info for my old AT&T account. Around 8pm my phone number was ported but still didn't get text messages. The next morning at 6 am, everything was working as it should (I believe it was fully done during the night but not sure of the exact time.
    So in my case it was a maximum of 18 hours.

3. raremage

raremage Well-Known Member

<48 hours is the stock answer, but it usually happens much more quickly. If it takes more than four you probably will need to provide an account number (and possibly PIN/password) at some point.

4. phenixdragon

phenixdragon Well-Known Member

The few times I have done it it was ported over within minutes.

5. Foo (AZ)

Foo (AZ) Well-Known Member

Yeah, minutes for me too, but I called into TM to do it. However, my data service took a little longer while the request filtered down through their various systems.

6. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

For me it took longer because my AT&T account was under my wife's SSN and I opened the new T-Mobile account using mine. The discrepancy bollixed the automatic process and I had to call T-Mobile customer service to get it done. As I recall, once I talked with customer service it only took an hour or so before I got the "Welcome to T-Mobile" text message and I could dial out on the phone, but for a few hours after that I had to carry both phones because incoming calls still rang my AT&T phone. Everything was all set by the time I got up the next morning, though.