• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root how much space do I need on my SD card before rooting?

I have read and read and read. I want to take the leap soon. I hear it goes fast but I want to set aside am entire evening or afternoon.

How much space so I need to have on my SD card? Mine is almost full. Which means I'll probably get a bigger one soon. I want more music :)

If you are close to full now I'd just invest in the larger card now... I had about 1gb left and rooted..all was well until I started putting roms and kernels and backups on the sd card. I purchased a 16gb and try and keep a good 6gb free at all times (for now)_

Reactions: slugbug
Upvote 0
I'd say you'd be safe around 1GB, maybe a little more.

you'll need space for all the ROMs you want to have easy access to (meaning keeping them on your SD) and for backups

t0ast3d is doing great things!
I would say 1GB is very conservative, I save most of my ROM's on my pc and then add them to my SD to save some space. I think I have OCD!

Reactions: slugbug
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones