• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How reliable is Pushbullet compared to iMessage? - Pushbullet

James328

News Moderator
Administrator
Apr 9, 2014
I'm new to android, coming from an iPhone 6 and using osx day to day, and I was curious how reliable pushbullet is compared to something such as imessage? The ability to send sms from my desktop and keep everything in sync with my mobile was awesome in the Apple ecosphere, and I'm looking for a similar alternative for android. Any thoughts?

I would never use a message app that is tied to the manufacturer of the phone, so that rules out iMessage real fast.

I will use WhatsApp which is better anyway. everything is hidden with encryption by default.
or use Textra or Chomp, both by the same devs and both are stone cold solid in performance.

I prefer Textra

* Textra SMS - Android Apps on Google Play

I have the paid version because believe in helping the devs and getting rid of adverts.

Reactions: James328
Upvote 0
I've used Pushbullet with an iMac. I had to turn it off because the notifications were conistent and therefore annoying.

Pushbullet now has fees/limits for the free service, I think. I don't use it anymore.

There is a new text messaging app called (temporarily) "Messaging" by the Klinker brothers. The app is in beta and is now going to public beta which means it is open to everyone. You do have to join the beta group but that is easy. The fee will eventually be $5.99/year if you use the "Message from anywhere" feature. It has a chrome extension. The app is free. I don't think I'll be using the message from anywhere feature but I've tried it and it still has some bugs but they are quickly working those out. (It's a beta)

https://plus.google.com/communities/112847528442261130949

Upvote 0
Pushbullet now has fees/limits for the free service, I think. I don't use it anymore.
That's why I went to MightyText. I don't mind paying for stuff but recall thinking they were charging too much at the time. PB has some nice features, I did like copy/paste but not for $40 a year. 100 texts a month just isn't enough so the free version is sort of useless. MT is the same price for Pro but the free version is 250 texts a month. For a while I was using both so could use 350 texts. lol. I just don't bother now though. They are both good but, for my needs/wants, not worth the price.

Upvote 0
I will use WhatsApp which is better anyway. everything is hidden with encryption by default.
Not quite 'everything'. Only WhatsApp to WhatsApp messages are encrypted. Whenever a WhatsApp user is texting with a non-WhatsApp user there is no encryption. Those encryption keys can only be exchanged from one WhatsApp to another, it just can't work when one is secure and the other is not. Note that WhatsApp is now using the same encryption protocol as what has been the underlying encryption in Signal Private Messenger (which also requires the same Signal to Signal exchange of its encryption keys). Signal Private Messenger's open encryption protocol has also been recently adopted by Facebook Messenger and will be used in Google's Allo. The list of texting apps and services keep growing and growing, but compatibility between them is limited at best. We always just fall back to the archaic but tried and true SMS/MMS for exchanging text messages.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones