• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to avoid an Active application being axed

Legolover

Lurker
Dec 10, 2012
Hello.

I just wanted to ask if there is a way to maintain a minimized task in the Active application list longer than the default few hours?

I use the Wimp streaming service app, listening to music over BT in my car driving to work in the morning. During the day, the Wimp application disappears from the Active applications list in the Task manager, and I have to restart the application before driving home from work. I don't think this is application dependent, because I have also tested by starting Wimp, Messaging and Wordfeud in the evening. They all show up in the Active application list, but are all gone in the morning.

I believe that Android is killing the tasks off in order to preserve battery life.
(which is excellent by the way. After 18hrs, I still have 50% left)

Would have been nice to have some sort of 'white list' for certain applications so they stayed in the Active application list at least until being inactive for more than, say, 24 hours.

I think this app axing behavior started with the 4.0.4 update.

GT-I9100 4.0.4 I9100XXLQ6

Cheers :)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones