• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to Back-Up my Archos 70 ... ???

Is there a simple way to back-up everything on my Archos 70 Internet Tablet 250GB?

I have a feeling that I will need to reformat this tablet again, possibly numerous times ...

I've already had to reformat three times (in only two days!). I lost everything. Wasted many hours downloaded lots of apps, rebooting, calling Tech Support ...

I don't have time to keep doing this, so I need to have everything backed up, so next time I reformat, I can then just transfer everything back to the Archos.

Any suggestions .... ????

Yeah, I've got all my apps backed up using "Titanium Backup". Now to do this, you need to have root access. So far, we only have temporary root but temp root is enough.

Start here: http://androidforums.com/archos-all-things-root/258664-rooting-your-archos-sw-version-2-0-71-a.html

Once you have SDE installed (which voids your warranty) you can boot into "Developer Mode" and you will have root access until you reboot normally. You can download Titanium Backup and make a batch backup of all your apps and settings. This saved data will be stored on your SD Card so it will not be deleted by reformatting your device.

Reactions: vja4Him
Upvote 0
Yeah, I've got all my apps backed up using "Titanium Backup". Now to do this, you need to have root access. So far, we only have temporary root but temp root is enough.

Start here: http://androidforums.com/archos-all-things-root/258664-rooting-your-archos-sw-version-2-0-71-a.html

Once you have SDE installed (which voids your warranty) you can boot into "Developer Mode" and you will have root access until you reboot normally. You can download Titanium Backup and make a batch backup of all your apps and settings. This saved data will be stored on your SD Card so it will not be deleted by reformatting your device.

Thanks! I really do not want to void my warranty! I bought an additional 3-year extended warranty.

Can I download the Android apps to my MacPro, and then just transfer those apps over to the Archos?

I'm not too much worried about my personal files (articles, journals, music, videos, pictures). I keep the originals on my MacPro, and backed up to another computer and two external HDs, and also CDs and DVDs, and SDHC memory cards.

I just thought it would so much easier to back up the Archos, so when I need to reformat the Archos again, I won't have to spend so much time (many hours!) reinstalling everything all over again.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I really do not want to void my warranty! I bought an additional 3-year extended warranty.

Can I download the Android apps to my MacPro, and then just transfer those apps over to the Archos?

I'm not too much worried about my personal files (articles, journals, music, videos, pictures). I keep the originals on my MacPro, and backed up to another computer and two external HDs, and also CDs and DVDs, and SDHC memory cards.

I just thought it would so much easier to back up the Archos, so when I need to reformat the Archos again, I won't have to spend so much time (many hours!) reinstalling everything all over again.

Well, almost anything that pertains to "rooting" voids your manufacturer warranty. But having root (even if only temporary), means that you have access to change things and run apps that you wouldn't normally be able to run.

Titanium Backup is one of those apps. It backs up the application itself as well as the data for the application (save game data, user preferences, call log, MMS SMS messages, etc.). You can't run that app without root access.

Upvote 0

If you don't want to root your device, Astro file manager has an app backup tool you could use. It isn't as comprehensive a backup as Titanium Backup, but it will work without rooting.

Installed Astro. Still trying to figure out how to use it to back up my files ....

Upvote 0
I've never used astro to backup apps but open it, press menu > tools > application manager/backup ...that will get you there.

Already tried that. Got a message that says backup finished, but where did the files back up to? On my Archos ...

That doesn't do any good ... !!! I wasn't connected to anything else, so the files had to be backed up on the Archos.

I need the files backed up to something else, like a hard drive, another computer, or SDHC memory cards.

So, back to square one .... Still looking for an app that will back up my Archos ...

Upvote 0
Already tried that. Got a message that says backup finished, but where did the files back up to? On my Archos ...

That doesn't do any good ... !!! I wasn't connected to anything else, so the files had to be backed up on the Archos.

I need the files backed up to something else, like a hard drive, another computer, or SDHC memory cards.

So, back to square one .... Still looking for an app that will back up my Archos ...

Why does that not work for you? It backs up all your user apps to /storage/backups/apps

Just hook your Archos up to your computer via usb cable and copy the "backups" folder over to your computer. If you lose everything on your tablet, reformat your sd cards (the internal one and the one in the expandable slot) all you have to do is install Astro, place the "backups" folder in the proper location and then restore using astro.

Upvote 0
Why does that not work for you? It backs up all your user apps to /storage/backups/apps

Just hook your Archos up to your computer via usb cable and copy the "backups" folder over to your computer. If you lose everything on your tablet, reformat your sd cards (the internal one and the one in the expandable slot) all you have to do is install Astro, place the "backups" folder in the proper location and then restore using astro.

My Archos does not have a micro-drive.

I'll connect my Archos in a few minutes and see if I can find those backed up files ....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones