• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to back up/restore with Mac when nothing else works.

katsock

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
Hey guys, brand new to the forums here. I've been searching and searching and I haven't been able to find a solution to my specific problem. I have a rooted HTC One, and I am trying to back it up to my computer. When it was being rooted and such it was backed up to my friends fathers computer, and that particular computer did not have a part for my external hard Drive. I thought nothing of it, restored it, and left. Now I can't find a way to back it up to my computer, and the program he used (WonderShares MobileGo) refuses to work on my computer. I downloaded the correct one, and it will not work on any phone my family has. Is there an FREE alternative? Nothing seems to be working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi katsock, and welcome to AF :)

What is it you want to back up? If it's apps and data then you can use Helium or (since you are rooted) Titanium Backup, then copy the backup folder to your computer for safety. Since the One doesn't support USB Mass Storage, the easy way to copy to a Mac is using Google's Android File Transfer app. Follow that link, install it on your Mac, connect via usb (with the screen on and unlocked) and you can browse and copy anything on the phone's "internal sdcard" to the Mac. Then if you need to restore, and don't still have the files on the phone, you can just copy them back.

If you have problems, there are android apps that let you copy files over a shared WiFi network (Airdroid, WiFi File Explorer), but the Android File Transfer is a lot faster.

If it's a full system backup you want (i.e. a "nandroid" backup, the backup made by a custom recovery) you can also make that backup to the phone's storage then copy it via the methods above. Or if you have a USB OTG cable you can make the backup directly to another USB storage device - I backed my phone up to a USB flash drive a few days ago, using the TWRP custom recovery, in part just to check that it worked. Then you can copy that backup to another storage device (external HD, computer's disk) for extra insurance.

You should also visit our HTC One forum, which has subforums specifically for root-related issues. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I'm gonna try all the suggestions. For some reason, I can't get certain files to move over with the transfer tool, but I'll just try it again. Thanks a lot, I definitely need to pick up the USB OTG too, My job is taking me cross country at the moment and I have little "me" time besides just sitting in a car.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones