• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to back up stock recovery image?

I realize there's a stock recovery image that can be downloaded but I was wondering, what would it take to back up the (stock) image that's currently on my phone?

I've been googling this like crazy but it seems like the fates are against me on this (or more likely, there's a term I'm not aware of)

Anyone wanna help me out/point me in the right direction?

Hm... I did some more looking. I guess this is what you meant by odin?
[STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY - xda-developers
or this one?
ODIN - Open Disk Imager for Windows

I thought in my last post you were talking about the second but since I found the first, it doesn't seem to work like that... but then the first only works with the captivate and not intercept (edit: ok, that's just that particular method and not Odin itself...)

anyway, Odin (the XDA developers one) seems to be designed to flash a custom recovery onto the phone, what I want to do is the reverse: back up a copy of what's already on my phone (which is the stock one) so if I need to in the future, I can flash the original for stuff like if someone at VM decides this sort of phone should get Ice Cream Sandwich at some point down the line.

edit 2: never mind, I just figured out I already put another recovery on there and forgot about it... man I feel silly now. ah well, thanks anyway
btw I can't seem to figure out how to get the [solved] thing in the title...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones