• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to check overall status of phone?

Hi guys,

I bought a Sensation XE about 2 months ago and I'm having strange issues, mostly with baterry charge and speaker problems. I want to know if there's anything to look for before I start to tinker around with it. I mean, I don't know if its rooted or not, I think its running Android 4.0.3 or something like that... anything else to look for?

A girl at work had similar charging issues as you've mentioned here, she had to get her handset replaced (her network told her it was a common occurrence) so I'm not sure if it's an inherent hardware issue?

What sort of tinkering are you talking about?

Well, firstly I'm gonna change the battery for some third party batteries I bought (as soon as they arrive from hong kong) Next, I was thinking of doing a factory reset, and if that still doesn't work then maybe I was thinking of looking around the Rooting posts around here.

I also have an issue with the speaker, the sound is awful when I turn the volume up, there's a lot of distortion-like noise. For that, I'm thinking of replacing the speaker.

Upvote 0
Have you tried any battery usage apps to find out what's draining it? I have GSam battery monitor which is quite good at breaking it down app by app. If that doesn't reveal anything, try doing a factory reset and then don't install *any* third party apps for a few days, especially ones like launchers, lock screens, live wallpapers, and anything that might run in the background. Use the phone for browsing and music only for a few days and see how it goes.

Given that the phone is only 2 months old you're still under warranty, so why not send it in for repair? Get them to sort out the battery life and the speaker all in one, once you've done some basic troubleshooting you shouldn't have to do all the hard work tinkering around and replacing parts yourself.

Upvote 0
Have you tried any battery usage apps to find out what's draining it? I have GSam battery monitor which is quite good at breaking it down app by app. If that doesn't reveal anything, try doing a factory reset and then don't install *any* third party apps for a few days, especially ones like launchers, lock screens, live wallpapers, and anything that might run in the background. Use the phone for browsing and music only for a few days and see how it goes.

Given that the phone is only 2 months old you're still under warranty, so why not send it in for repair? Get them to sort out the battery life and the speaker all in one, once you've done some basic troubleshooting you shouldn't have to do all the hard work tinkering around and replacing parts yourself.

Warranty was my first option, but since I bought it from an ebay seller, his warranty expired about a week ago. :(

I have installed JuiceDefender, that's a battery monitor right? It says that the screen usage takes 70% of battery usage.... normal I guess...

Upvote 0
Yeah if you're using the handset then the screen is often the biggest battery hog, followed by games, data connection, youtube and anything that uses the screen and internet heavily. JuiceDefender is good, you can configure it to turn off certain services when you're not using them, to extend the battery life, I hope that works out for you!

Regarding the speaker issues, I'd recommend a youtube tutorial video, or ask El Presidente!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones