• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pondering for a new cell phone..

From what I've heard: Foldable phones tend to get their screens broken from the folding. The Surface Duo may be an exception, as it has two screens rather than one foldable screen. But take what I've said with a grain of salt! I've never used a foldable phone myself and I've never seriously looked into them. For all I know, the reports I've heard of broken screens are overblown.

Upvote 0
From what I've heard: Foldable phones tend to get their screens broken from the folding. The Surface Duo may be an exception, as it has two screens rather than one foldable screen. But take what I've said with a grain of salt! I've never used a foldable phone myself and I've never seriously looked into them. For all I know, the reports I've heard of broken screens are overblown.
Yeah had a razar in mid 2000s and the screen always got cracked and several water issues, the works..

That is why I am still sticking with a Pixel seven.

Upvote 0
I had to give up my Galaxy S5 due to the third battery turning into a spicy pillow and the internal storage was starting to fail (you could delete all the apps and data, essentially factory reset it and the 16GB would only let you use 1GB of it)

But I often tried modern phones and was always unhappy or frustrated. I wanted to keep my Samsung UI so I went with a Galaxy A03s (everyone says it's junk but I often love what everyone else hates--heck I loved the HTC Thunderbolt) and despite one instance yesterday with downloading music from Amazon, it's been a great phone so far. 5000mAH battery makes two days easy. USB-C port isn't faulty. Dynamic lock screen is nice. Unlike the S20 FE 5G, it doens't make sound for every notification, and the Google Assistant actually works. So far I'm loving it. I was trying to find the modern equivilent to my S5, and specs wise this one fit the bill (despite not having an IR blaster, removable battery, or heart rate sensor). One UI 5.x is a nicer upgrade compared with 2.x.

Hope you find something that satisfies you, too!

Upvote 0
I had to give up my Galaxy S5 due to the third battery turning into a spicy pillow and the internal storage was starting to fail (you could delete all the apps and data, essentially factory reset it and the 16GB would only let you use 1GB of it)

But I often tried modern phones and was always unhappy or frustrated. I wanted to keep my Samsung UI so I went with a Galaxy A03s (everyone says it's junk but I often love what everyone else hates--heck I loved the HTC Thunderbolt) and despite one instance yesterday with downloading music from Amazon, it's been a great phone so far. 5000mAH battery makes two days easy. USB-C port isn't faulty. Dynamic lock screen is nice. Unlike the S20 FE 5G, it doens't make sound for every notification, and the Google Assistant actually works. So far I'm loving it. I was trying to find the modern equivilent to my S5, and specs wise this one fit the bill (despite not having an IR blaster, removable battery, or heart rate sensor). One UI 5.x is a nicer upgrade compared with 2.x.

Hope you find something that satisfies you, too!
Ya know the more, I just look at different reviews, and talk with most of you, and understand of the hearing aid compatablities et all.
I am rethinking of getting a pixle though, there is something really strange when connecting with phonax app.....

Upvote 0
I don't want a Pixel myself as they remind me too much of an iPhone. That and they rely heavily on Google apps and since Google is intent on killing everything I like (Play Music was the last straw) I don't trust the apps I'd use on one to last long, and I'm not one who likes change all that much. Took me two generations later to get used to One UI (I still prefer TouchWiz)

I just want my phone to work the way I'm use to it working, no moving the cheese around, no changing things. If it works, leave it be. Don't force updates on me. Sometimes I just wish carriers, devs would leave me alone and let me do things my way. I'm not hurting anyone!

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
I don't want a Pixel myself as they remind me too much of an iPhone. That and they rely heavily on Google apps and since Google is intent on killing everything I like (Play Music was the last straw) I don't trust the apps I'd use on one to last long, and I'm not one who likes change all that much. Took me two generations later to get used to One UI (I still prefer TouchWiz)

I just want my phone to work the way I'm use to it working, no moving the cheese around, no changing things. If it works, leave it be. Don't force updates on me.
I am considering a new gen of moto edge, since I had this one forever, and I can easily re download everything, do my ted talks et all..

Upvote 0
I've tried three Moto phones. Didn't like them either. The real dealbreaker was the unstable Bluetooth. Try using True Wireless buds on one, and it cuts out every other step. This wasn't a cheap Moto either, it was the G Stylus. At least it had a headphone jack.

I got a 5G capable phone now, and I hope that means I'll get more than 10 years out of it before they cut off 5G (I hoped AMPS and TDMA was it, but they prove time and again they WILL cut later networks off too, what with 3G being done, so that means 4G and 5G eventually too I guess).

Is it so hard to get a phone to last a lifetime? Nothing was wrong with my Thunderbolt. I take care of my stuff!

Upvote 0
I've tried three Moto phones. Didn't like them either. The real dealbreaker was the unstable Bluetooth. Try using True Wireless buds on one, and it cuts out every other step. This wasn't a cheap Moto either, it was the G Stylus. At least it had a headphone jack.

I got a 5G capable phone now, and I hope that means I'll get more than 10 years out of it before they cut off 5G (I hoped AMPS and TDMA was it, but they prove time and again they WILL cut later networks off too, what with 3G being done, so that means 4G and 5G eventually too I guess).

Is it so hard to get a phone to last a lifetime? Nothing was wrong with my Thunderbolt. I take care of my stuff!
I have played with at least three of them, really been heavy faithful to the moto. And I really do not care about the headphone jack sometimes..

Upvote 0
Well, if you prefer Bluetooth don't use a Moto. Totally unstable. Thing cut out every other step I took when simply walking on the trails. Felt like it was buffering but it was just it cutting out. They haven't been the same for years (since Lenovo ruined them).

I'm stuck on Samsung since they have decent apps and more features than others lately. I wish I could find a way to completely (and not halfway) get the Android 2.3 UI. But even with the theme store it's not enough. Some apps draw their own UI and replacing some with Gingerbread versions just results in a clash of modern and 2010 design, which looks worse. There's no icon pack that 'Gingerbread-ifys' the icons for, say YouTube Music, Walmart, or Dollar General apps, because they didn't exist then.

Someone please come out with an Android 2.3 phone that's modern! That was the literally last time Android felt like Android!

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
Well, if you prefer Bluetooth don't use a Moto. Totally unstable. Thing cut out every other step I took when simply walking on the trails. Felt like it was buffering but it was just it cutting out. They haven't been the same for years (since Lenovo ruined them).

I'm stuck on Samsung since they have decent apps and more features than others lately. I wish I could find a way to completely (and not halfway) get the Android 2.3 UI. But even with the theme store it's not enough. Some apps draw their own UI and replacing some with Gingerbread versions just results in a clash of modern and 2010 design, which looks worse. There's no icon pack that 'Gingerbread-ifys' the icons for, say YouTube Music, Walmart, or Dollar General apps, because they didn't exist then.

Someone please come out with an Android 2.3 phone that's modern! That was the literally last time Android felt like Android!
OH! My moto edge is compatible with my Phonax, they do not buffer one bit.

Upvote 0
Oh it's 'compatible' with my 'ONN Wireless' buds as well as with Apple AirPods Pro. Both cut out like crazy. I was convinced my Stylus had a broken Bluetooth or just a crappy chip. It was awful. Even the stable-on-every-phone-i-used-LG Tone Pro didn't like it. It was a lot like listening to audio from a weak Digital TV channel that's barely coming in.

Compatibility is just regular Bluetooth standard, but stability was something faulty in the hardware of the Stylus, as well as the G Power, and Moto E. It's like they really cheaped out on the hardware.

Upvote 0
Oh it's 'compatible' with my 'ONN Wireless' buds as well as with Apple AirPods Pro. Both cut out like crazy. I was convinced my Stylus had a broken Bluetooth or just a crappy chip. It was awful. Even the stable-on-every-phone-i-used-LG Tone Pro didn't like it. It was a lot like listening to audio from a weak Digital TV channel that's barely coming in.

Compatibility is just regular Bluetooth standard, but stability was something faulty in the hardware of the Stylus, as well as the G Power, and Moto E. It's like they really cheaped out on the hardware.
hearing aid compatibility in the US

Lit. I was looking at this a spell ago tonight.

Upvote 0
Oh, I wasn't thinking about hearing aid compatibility. Haven't even heard that mentioned since the Western Electric touch tone business phone days, and back then 'hearing aid compatibility' just meant it wouldn't press against them in your ears when placing the receiver to your ear.
"Western Electric touch tone...." Wow nick, you are really out of touch on it, well I did brush it up since of starting with my Marvel Phonax back then.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones