1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

How to delete photos permanently?

1. adeejay

adeejay New Member

I'm selling my One V but before that I would like to permanently delete all my photos in the phone. I know if you simpli go to photo and then set delete photo isn't really deleted. You can get it back with some software. So how can I really completely delete photos?

Advertisement
    :
  2. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

I would (a) put the SD card in the PC and format it so it’s clean -- or maybe just replace it with a new one -- and (b) on the droid, do Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset. There might be something else to do, but it’s a start.
  3. adeejay

adeejay New Member

Does Factory data reset permanently delete all data from internal storage? I know that some tools can recover your data but I don't know if they can do that after Factory data reset.
  4. Tifa

Tifa New Member

Yes it factory reset clears out everything. Why are you so concerned, you have embarrassing or dirty photos you dont want people to see? LOL
  5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

A factory data reset does not wipe the sd partition. If you have stored files you wish to permanently delete, format the SD card partition, copy some files to the partition that fills it as full as possible and then format again. By overwriting the old sectors with new data there is almost no chance to recover anything.
    javasirc likes this.
  6. javasirc

javasirc Well-Known Member

Exactly what lunatic59 said. When you "erase" data, only the pointers (or whatever theyre called) are erased. The data stays, but is no longer read as files, unless applications that are designed to read data from storage are used.

A factory reset, then filling up the storage, then another factory reset should clean it out.
  7. adeejay

adeejay New Member

I don't mind about data on microSD because this data I will not use. Yes I did som dirty photos thats why I would like to completely delete them :). Ok so I'll do this: Factory reset, then i'll do some photos until the hard disk will be full and then again factory reset. I hope then is totaly safe to sell phone.
  8. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

You'll want to check exactly where those pictures are saved. Most camera apps save the images to the SD card or the SD partition (same place to Android, though to you one is internal and one is external). You really do want to format and overwrite the SD partition, not only for the pictures, but for any personal data as well. Other than that, the double reset should do it.
  9. adeejay

adeejay New Member

Why I need to reset SD card also? I will not sell this card.
  10. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

If you remove the card then that is not a problem.