• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to disable ads

Not really by default.
You can install an ad-blocker that will do what you are looking to do, but that's about it.
Personally, I use Adguard, which is not in the play store. Have used it for years and blocks ads in websites and apps.

Upvote 0
If it's the browser you can try a browser that has ad-blocking options or add-ons.

Without root, system-wide ad-blockers work by using a VPN to filter connections. In my experience they don't work as well as IP tables based ad-blockers on rooted devices, but can be pretty effective. In some circumstances though the VPN may cause problems, e.g. when using some WiFi networks (not your domestic one or public hotspots, but I've known some institutional ones refuse them) or when a site checks the nationality of your IP address (which will see the VPN server's IP address rather than yours, which may sometimes cause problems - like the way people use VPNs to access sites that aren't allowed in their country, but with the opposite effect). Just saying this so that you know that if you do use one and find something doesn't work it's worth turning it off to see whether that's the problem.

Reactions: Dannydet and CliffJ
Upvote 0
Where are these ads popping up? On your browser? Or in an app?
If I'm not mistaken, it's called the Notification Center. I simply swipe down from the top of the screen, and there I can see the latest messages from instant messengers, emails, recent downloads, and so on. Additionally, I often see numerous notifications with ads from websites I'm not familiar with

Upvote 0
Not really by default.
You can install an ad-blocker that will do what you are looking to do, but that's about it.
Personally, I use Adguard, which is not in the play store. Have used it for years and blocks ads in websites and apps.
Thanks! I'll give Adguard a try. Do you use it on Android?

Upvote 0
If I'm not mistaken, it's called the Notification Center. I simply swipe down from the top of the screen, and there I can see the latest messages from instant messengers, emails, recent downloads, and so on. Additionally, I often see numerous notifications with ads from websites I'm not familiar with
What phone is this? Because I've literally never seen an ad in the notifications on any phone, from Android 2.1 to Android 13.

(Admittedly I also do not allow any of my browsers to post notifications, because why would I?)

Upvote 0
What phone is this? Because I've literally never seen an ad in the notifications on any phone, from Android 2.1 to Android 13.

(Admittedly I also do not allow any of my browsers to post notifications, because why would I?)
I've got a Samsung Galaxy M32 running Android 13.
I frequently look up information on the internet so there's a chance I've allowed notifications somewhere. o_O

Upvote 0
Unless you want websites to send notifications maybe check Settings > Apps, find your browsers and remove their notification privileges.

There were stories a few years ago about pre-installed Samsung apps producing ads, but I've never seen that on my s21 (and while I have the adGuard add-on for Firefox I don't use a system-wide ad blocker).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones