• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to empty the trash folder??

Folks

The deleted messages are not stocked into the Android phone. They are on the mailserver of Google. So no local messages.

These are tested only on Samsung Phones.
I don't know about other phones....

Otherwise 2 possibilities
- delete the messages in your Gmail account from a PC, MAC, whatever
- if you think that your mailbox or phone has became slow, remove your gmail account & set it up again

Upvote 0
This is a mind bending miss by Google on what is otherwise a great platform. The sad fact is that smartphones will be forever hobbled by their pretty tiny volume of memory, and each one of those stealth emails steals 1KB of memory each. I find that most probs I experience with my LG670 are related to low memory challenges, and Google should really come up with much, much more effective memory management tools. We need to be able to clean house easily, routinely, and predictably.

@DrewMove, you're right as far as I can tell. My LG 670VM has none of the options mentioned above, other than the aforementioned brain-damage experience of 1-by-1 deletion. I have found that I can go to my Gmail account on a Mac or PC and successfully delete things from there and it is reflected on my Android. Yes, this is an annoying extra step and a side trip, but on the other hand, it is much faster, easier, and more pleasant than doing that type of activity on a tiny smartphone screen. This really tweaks me because on my phone I go through 3 steps to actually delete 1 email: 1) I delete from Inbox, 2) I have to delete from "Deleted" messages folder, and 3) I have to delete from "Trash" as described above or 1-by-1 on the phone!

Upvote 0
go to "manage apps" click on email client , click "force close" and empty cache.... or get another email client app for your droid from your ISP and use thier app...they DO have an empty trash bin
good luck i
james ..new android user

I have a Galaxy Note, finally got rid of all emails in trash (4121 total)
in trash folder: select by week, keep scrolling down looking for no check marks, do this for the 4 weeks that show, then keep scrolling and also select by month, then keep scrolling and there is one labeled Older, select that and hit trash can, takes forever. and had to repeat this 5 times, possibly because I was checking progress and that stopped the slow deletion process.

Upvote 0
I wonder if the Galaxy Note 2 will be faster???

It takes way too long to delete emails.
takes more than one second for each email to be moved to the trash, then with no select ALL option it makes it all this hassle to empty trash.

I didn't know about the trash, happened to find it today. With over 4,000 emails all the way back to when I bought the phone.
Needs to be fixed!!!

Upvote 0
This is a mind bending miss by Google on what is otherwise a great platform. The sad fact is that smartphones will be forever hobbled by their pretty tiny volume of memory, and each one of those stealth emails steals 1KB of memory each. I find that most probs I experience with my LG670 are related to low memory challenges, and Google should really come up with much, much more effective memory management tools. We need to be able to clean house easily, routinely, and predictably.

@DrewMove, you're right as far as I can tell. My LG 670VM has none of the options mentioned above, other than the aforementioned brain-damage experience of 1-by-1 deletion. I have found that I can go to my Gmail account on a Mac or PC and successfully delete things from there and it is reflected on my Android. Yes, this is an annoying extra step and a side trip, but on the other hand, it is much faster, easier, and more pleasant than doing that type of activity on a tiny smartphone screen. This really tweaks me because on my phone I go through 3 steps to actually delete 1 email: 1) I delete from Inbox, 2) I have to delete from "Deleted" messages folder, and 3) I have to delete from "Trash" as described above or 1-by-1 on the phone!

Unfortunately you cannot do that on an exchange account. the emails are simply not there . . .

Upvote 0
YES YOU CAN EMPTY THE TRASH ON A LG G4 PHONE! Click on the photos icon/app. Then click on the menu at the left side of the page at the top (three horizontal lines.) There you will see the trash bin/tab/button. Click on Trash and then select the photos to permanently delete. This is also how you retrieve photos that you accidently delete.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones