• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HOW TO: Enable 850Mhz 3G Network Frequency on your Samsung i9000 Galaxy S

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the Help so Far.

I have this problem. Every time I make a change in the Service Mode it does not apply on the phone because I return and everything is way back in the Original State.... Happend also when I chance de Band from GSM/WCDMA to WCDMA Only.... It does not even try to find the WCDMA.

I did what CrazySte suggest and the 850 Band is there the problem is when I try to enable it show the error: MENU NOT EXIST PRESS BACK KEY Current Command is 187226. However if I did the DocTee Work around and it works but as soon as press END nothing happend and when I return to the Service mode to Check the Changes they are all Undone..

Can You please Explain to me why no Change is apply in the Service Mode??

And the most Important How can I apply the Changes??

Cel phone Data:
Galaxy S GT-I9000
Firmware: 2.1-update1
Baseband: I9000XXJG1
Kernel: 2.6.29 root@SE-S603#2
Compilation: ECLAIR.XWJG5

THANKS VERY MUCH TO ALL

Reactions: xtramyle
Upvote 0
Urgent help please!

Bought a telstra samsung galaxy s and rooted it. It crashed after a couple of days so I re did the firmware. I then set it all up to work (network apns, etc) and it was running fine, in Perth and surrounding suburbs.

I drove to Busselton today and it's dropped out.

I went to a telstra shop and they spent half an hour on it but no luck. They said they'll have to send it back to be repaired. They even changed the sim, no luck.

I'm running this:

Model number: GT-I9000
Android version: 2.2
Baseband version: I9000XXJP2
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9 root@sep-52 #1
Build number: GT-I9000-eng 2.2 MASTER 332 test-keys.332

Does anyone know if I need to change the baseband or anything like that?

I have all network freq set (all have a * next to them), but only have 1 bar of service. My iphone (also on telstra) has full 3G service. But even with my 1 bar I can't make or receive calls for some reason, it says the network is not available.

Upvote 0
Hi all,
I just upgraded two I9000T to firmware 2.3.3 XXJVK Kernel 2.6.35.7 [[ColdMOD Improvement v2.1]] using COMCEL (Colombian cell company)
One was previously network unlocked, the other wasn't.
But now Cell#1(the one that is unlock) doesn't log to HSPA or 3G only EDGE. Cell #2 works perfect.
When doing *#*#0011#*#* and apears

GSM: HOME(CS+PS)
BAND: GSM1900

In Cell#2 appears
UMTS: HOME(CS+PS)
BAND: CDMA850

I've checked the parameters in the service mode and seem to be the same at least in = BAND SELECTION =
Where else could I look to enable the 850mhz 3G?

Upvote 0
I've discovered also, by trial and error, flashing with Darky's ROM's, then getting no network. I keep a copy of JL2 modem on my sdcard and it's always the last thing I CWM ;)

i have a canadian BELL sgs Vibrant I9000M and uses UGJL2 modem

so everytime i flash a new rom (froyo OR gingerbread) i have to flash the UGJL2 modem with odin over the one in the custom rom;)

Upvote 0
i have a tmobile vibrant from the states that im using on telus here in ontario. Im having difficultly once i leave 3g areas. I lose telus signal but can still see rogers etc. so the phone cant see 2g telus for some reason so is it possible to flash a telus samsung galaxy s modem onto my phone to solve this issue? If not at the very least can i lock my phone onto telus i keep getting bounced to att tmobile etc.
Ive tried the above fix to no avail.
Thanks

Upvote 0
i have a tmobile vibrant from the states that im using on telus here in ontario. Im having difficultly once i leave 3g areas. I lose telus signal but can still see rogers etc. so the phone cant see 2g telus for some reason so is it possible to flash a telus samsung galaxy s modem onto my phone to solve this issue? If not at the very least can i lock my phone onto telus i keep getting bounced to att tmobile etc.
Ive tried the above fix to no avail.
Thanks

Flash tljl3 modem and u will be set. T-Mobile only has 1700/2100 3g/wcdma bands. Telus can't operate on GSM/2g network.

Upvote 0
I'm not that knowledgeable about phones, and I'm having some troubles understanding the contradictions and complexities here.

I have a GT-I9000M bought with Bell in Canada which I'm trying to use with Virgin Australia (through Optus' network, I believe). Do I have the capability to use the 850 band? I'm not getting any data connection at all. I tried the above procedure, except to select "[4] WCDMA 900 (FDD VIII)[]" which give the message

"Select WCDMA_W900 Only
[*]"

and then the other 3 bands are deselected. Pressing back, only the "WCDMA BAND" option is starred, and the automatic, GSM and COMBI bands are not starred.

Pressing "WCDMA ALL" in the WCDMA BAND option selects the 2100, 1900, and 850 bands, but not the 900.

Either way, I can't get a data signal, and even my phone signal is very weak. I can't get any bars indoors and only 2-3 outside. Not being able to use the phone inside is a deal breaker for me. I was getting 3G and good phone signal with T-Mobile (Telekom) in Germany without making any changes which would have been the 900 band I believe.

To complicate things a little further, I had the data connection turned off beforehand using the

*#*#4636#*#*

command, followed by the menu button, then "more" and the "disable data connection". I have tried to turn it back on using both the "Enable data connection" and "Enable data on boot" button in this menu. They now read "Enable data connection" and "Disable data on boot". I have rebooted several times, so I believe the network is the problem, not this, though I am not positive.

If Virgin/Optus will not work for me, any phone companies in Australia that will?

Upvote 0
I have a Claro (Brazil) Galaxy S i9000B with 2.3.4. Claro works with 850 Mhz. The only way I found to make it work with 850 Mhz was by first installing the modem UGJL2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10422332/modem_I9000ugjl2.zip. This UGJL2 works with 2.3.3 and 2.3.4.
After installed Modem UGJL2, it worked with 850 Mhz. And, after this Modem, all the others that I have installed after that to make tests, worked with 850 Mhz.
If I try another ROM with other Modem, like JVQ, it didn

Upvote 0
I was able to enable the 850 frequency on a Captivate running 2.2.1, but every time the phone is re-booted, I have to repeat the procedure for enabling 850 all over again.
Is there a way to preserve the band settings permanently ?

In addition after 850 is selected, if I do *#0011#, it only shows 2100 as being used. wasn't able to see 850 ever.
Could it be a wrong modem version installed in my ROM ?

Upvote 0
I could not get the 850 Mhz Band to activate at first on my t-Mobile USA Vibrant, however after activating 850MHZ in the combo bands selection 850MHZ suddenly became available on the WCDMA menu. So activate it in combo bands first then WCDMA

Still no GSM on telcel Mexico but not even sure I could get it indoors here, that is even if it is 850 MHZ!

I walked into the net room with phone in hand and it says 3G for the first time EVER on Telcel Mexico. I was unable to open a web page however could be for weak 3g though. When it has said edge I can still open a page

Upvote 0
I have a Claro (Brazil) Galaxy S i9000B with 2.3.4. Claro works with 850 Mhz. The only way I found to make it work with 850 Mhz was by first installing the modem UGJL2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10422332/modem_I9000ugjl2.zip. This UGJL2 works with 2.3.3 and 2.3.4.
After installed Modem UGJL2, it worked with 850 Mhz. And, after this Modem, all the others that I have installed after that to make tests, worked with 850 Mhz.
If I try another ROM with other Modem, like JVQ, it didn

Upvote 0
I had made the changes here to my T Mobile Vibrant and had seen it display G and 3G but was never able to transfer any data on it. A few days later I took a trip to the next town and wanted to see if it would display 3G. After a few hours there it no longer registers on Telcel anywhere I have been since.

I have undone the changes and performed a factory reset. My chip works in other phones. I can use Movistar chip in my Vibrant, just not the Telcel. It shows signal but when I try to make a call it says "not registered on network" when I try to manually select Telcel GSM network it says the SIM does not permit it.

Go figure

Upvote 0
i have ATT .i just bought a rogers Samsung i896 on Ebay ,unlocked it, thinking i can use the stock WiFi hotspot (like i was able to do with my unlocked T-mobile vibrant ,but it had bad signal because it only had 1900band ) because i have a HP touch pad ,wii and other phones that can't pick up the "a hoc" or whatever its called.

is there a rom that i can get that will unlock that feature?(something stock looking )

i can resell the phone to get another phone that can do it .

any ideas HELP HELP HELP

p.s i think the H.S.U.P.A disable too

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones