• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to Flash / Debrand your Desire

Hey, what I would like to know before debranding my Orange Desire is, if I debrand and remove the goldcard, will I then be able to update the phone as normal, ie OTA without the goldcard in the phone? Or does it still require a goldcard and possibly reflashing an updated rom?

Also how likely is it to brick the phone? I can't really afford to buy a new one if it screws up.

I have Hboot 0.83 and software number 1.22.61.1. Don't know if these are important?

You need the gold card for OTA updates, tbh ive crapped myself twice the first time i tried to use an RUU. But neither time wrecked my phone.

Updated OTA today without goldcard, lost wifi etc, used most recent RUU and i was back in business

Upvote 0
Hey, what I would like to know before debranding my Orange Desire is, if I debrand and remove the goldcard, will I then be able to update the phone as normal, ie OTA without the goldcard in the phone? Or does it still require a goldcard and possibly reflashing an updated rom?

Also how likely is it to brick the phone? I can't really afford to buy a new one if it screws up.

I have Hboot 0.83 and software number 1.22.61.1. Don't know if these are important?

Yes they are important, it means you can't use the files in this thread as they are older than the software in your phone.

Read this thread and use the RUU in it instead http://androidforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1553360

Upvote 0
You need the gold card for OTA updates, tbh ive crapped myself twice the first time i tried to use an RUU. But neither time wrecked my phone.

Why is this?

I mucked up not having gold card for latest OTA, so RUU for me now I guess. :rolleyes:

I've asked on other threads but no one answers... If you have de-branded, you need Gold card for OTA, if you de-branded and unlocked sim lock do you still need the gold card?

Upvote 0
I debranded my Orange Desire as advised in this forum and had a bit of trouble with the first OTA update (lost my wifi connection!). All resolved now with downloading a new ROM, but the phones now telling me theres a new OTA update available (guess to froyo) and I'm a little hesitant of installing it incase it screws it all up again!

Current software number is 1.21.405.2
And the system upgtade is 2.09.405.8

Has anyone received this update and can comment if it works fine? Or eid anyone have any trouble with it?

Cheers, Bailey.

Upvote 0
Was there a soution to "Error[171]"?

I am trying to load stock ROM onto HTC Telstra branded Desire.
I have created a Gold card. Not sure how to know if it is a Gold card other than I can still access it after the Hex edit.
The ROM's I have tried are:
RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.15.405.4_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_122704.exe
RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.exe
Also tried this one, even though my understanding was I had to run the above RUU first. This is the ROM I want to evetually load:
RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.10.405.2_R_Radio_32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2_release_142828_signed.exe

My current software details are:
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: 32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11
Build number: 1.16.841.1 CL171554 release-keys
Software number: 1.16.841.1

BRAVO UNKNOWN SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.75.0000
MICROP-031d
TOUCH PANLE-SYNT0101
RADIO-4.05.00.11

Always getting ERROR[171]: USB CONNECTION ERROR.

Phone just gets stuck on HTC logo.

Any suggesetions apprecaited.

Upvote 0
Was there a soution to "Error[171]"?

I am trying to load stock ROM onto HTC Telstra branded Desire.
I have created a Gold card. Not sure how to know if it is a Gold card other than I can still access it after the Hex edit.
The ROM's I have tried are:
RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.exe
Also tried this one, even though my understanding was I had to run the above RUU first. This is the ROM I want to evetually load:
RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.10.405.2_R_Radio_32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2_release_142828_signed.exe

My current software details are:
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: 32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11
Build number: 1.16.841.1 CL171554 release-keys
Software number: 1.16.841.1

BRAVO UNKNOWN SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.75.0000
MICROP-031d
TOUCH PANLE-SYNT0101
RADIO-4.05.00.11

Always getting ERROR[171]: USB CONNECTION ERROR.

Phone just gets stuck on HTC logo.

Any suggesetions apprecaited.

I had the same error when I debranded mine this weekend and the solution was simple. I downloaded and installed the new version of HTC Sync and that was that - job done. As soon as I'd done that the installation worked perfectly.

Additionally you may want to try another USB port on your machine if you have one, but try reinstalling HTC Sync first - it worked for me.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I desperatly need someones help!

I downoaded this file -
RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.10.405.2_R_Radio_32.44.0 0.32U
_5.09.05.30_2_release_142828_signed.exe

I have created the Goldcard, but when i download the RUU rom and try to open it, it has said it is invalid!

THEN i downloaded it again and when i tried to install it, it then said - This file is not a valid WIN32 file...

I AM A NOOB! I seriously have no idea what to do from here, i already have the goldcard.

I am running an Orange branded htc desire, on software 1.15 and 2.1 update 1.

Also i am on windows vista Home premium with service pack 2
Can someone please help

Thank you

Upvote 0
Hi,

I desperatly need someones help!

I downoaded this file -
RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.10.405.2_R_Radio_32.44.0 0.32U
_5.09.05.30_2_release_142828_signed.exe

I have created the Goldcard, but when i download the RUU rom and try to open it, it has said it is invalid!

THEN i downloaded it again and when i tried to install it, it then said - This file is not a valid WIN32 file...

I AM A NOOB! I seriously have no idea what to do from here, i already have the goldcard.

I am running an Orange branded htc desire, on software 1.15 and 2.1 update 1.

Also i am on windows vista Home premium with service pack 2
Can someone please help

Thank you

I had a similar problem so I downloaded it again. Initially I used Firefox but the download erroneously completed, so then I tried it with IE and it was fine. Make sure the downloaded file is big (mine came out at about 166MB) as the download can time out without reporting an error. Basically try again and eventually it'll get there.

Upvote 0
hey, i have a black htc desire on orange, running software 1.15.61.10 because of all the orange problems, i want to debrand but im on a contract with unlimited internet. Does anyone know, if i remove the pre installed orange internet app will i still have my unlimited internet?

any help would be hugely appreciated

Martin

Upvote 0
Fixed Error [171].
I am now on Froyo.
I removed HTC Sync and the 2 HTC USB Drivers.
I re-booted and reinstalled the latest HTC Sync.
I also deactivated Anti-Virus/Firewall software.
I read on a couple of forums that I should run 2.1 unbranded first, then upgrade to Froyo.
So I first ran:
Then ran:
All Telstra stuff is now gone and running Froyo.

Upvote 0
hey, i have a black htc desire on orange, running software 1.15.61.10 because of all the orange problems, i want to debrand but im on a contract with unlimited internet. Does anyone know, if i remove the pre installed orange internet app will i still have my unlimited internet?

any help would be hugely appreciated

Martin

Hi Martin,
Can you tell me how you got unlimited data on Orange? They threw everything at me to stay and i got a good deal, but they said they can not offer unlimited data..
In the mean time i got shafted with a

Upvote 0
Still browsing around for the best deal before I get my Desire; my preferred option is to stay with O2, but their advertised deals on their website are woefully uncompetitive compared to what Orange or T-Mobile are offering. They might cut me a deal to re-sign but if not I'll be jumping ship.
Even Carphone Warehouse are offering better deals on O2 than O2 themselves - how does that work?!

Anyway, I'm a bit wary of Orange because of the branding issue - even though they are offering good deals - I notice though that they try and flog you Orange maps for 5 quid a month; Does this mean you can't use Google Maps on an Orange Desire out of the box? Why would you pay a fiver a month for O maps when you could use G maps for free?

If I don't feel confident enough to flash the phone, should I avoid Orange?

Upvote 0
Still browsing around for the best deal before I get my Desire; my preferred option is to stay with O2, but their advertised deals on their website are woefully uncompetitive compared to what Orange or T-Mobile are offering. They might cut me a deal to re-sign but if not I'll be jumping ship.
Even Carphone Warehouse are offering better deals on O2 than O2 themselves - how does that work?!

Anyway, I'm a bit wary of Orange because of the branding issue - even though they are offering good deals - I notice though that they try and flog you Orange maps for 5 quid a month; Does this mean you can't use Google Maps on an Orange Desire out of the box? Why would you pay a fiver a month for O maps when you could use G maps for free?

If I don't feel confident enough to flash the phone, should I avoid Orange?

I've just moved from O2 to Orange, I so wanted to stay with O2 but they just wouldn't match Oranges deal. I really liked O2, never had a problem, ever. Orange aren't bad the odd txt fails to send bit more than it should and signal isn't as good around me but I got a good tariff deal.

The Orange Desire isn't that bad, but the one Major; and I mean so big it verges on criminal incompetence, is the ridiculously 1980's sized internal memory, for the life of me I cannot imagine who decided on the woefully inadequate size, the fact most apps need the internal memory for security and copy protections should have made HTC make the internal memory much bigger.

My reason for rooting is because of this total design FAIL!!! Once my contracts up I'll not be buying another one unless it has at least 1GB of internal memory or (cover your eyes fanboys) going to iphone.

Upvote 0
do i still need a goldcard even if my phone is unbranded? i just want to flash it with a WWE htc desire version... because the rom i have is arabic.. and doesn't have a English(UK) or English(US) as locale only English(qatar)..

Told you. Respect my authoritah!

0.jpg

;)

Upvote 0
how do i upgrade a generic android 2.1 to 2.2 or higher
If you have a Desire (I assume you do, because you are posting in Desire section), then try to be on Wifi, then press Menu-Settings-About Phone-Software Update. Here you should be able to check if there is an update available for your phone, download the update and install.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones