• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to force a warranty repair...

wvufan

Jun 7, 2010
My phone's USB port just broke, and after some research, it seems like a common problem (breaking off circuit board and only charging when holding cable just right). I've also read that Sprint is trying to force an insurance claim for what is obviously a design flaw (too many reports of this, and I didn't put any unusual stress on it).

I normally would not consider this, but if I pull up the screen at the edge like the light leakage problem, can I force this issue of warranty repair? I'd like to try convincing the manager at the store that this problem is not my fault first, but once I do that, I can't imagine they're going to buy that the screen lifted on its own. Any tips on how to get this repaired without $100 and a long wait without a phone for a replacement (other than stay calm, be polite, etc.)?

Call CS (*2), and ask to talk to Account Services. They are "higher up" people, and will normally do what you ask them to. Tell them you've only had the phone for a short amount of time, and the power port broke. Technically the phone has a 1 year warranty, so they HAVE to honor it, and not tell you to use your insurance.

If for some reason they wont give you a replacement, tell them you will cancel your service and get a better phone somewhere else. They will usually bend over backwards if you tell them this.

Upvote 0
I am still amazed that someone would call in for a hardware problem. Go to the local repair center, tell them that it is broken. Let them take a look at it, it may not be as bad as you think, and if it really is, then they should replace it. Broken ports do happen but they can not see the phone to tell if it is damage caused by the user or just a bad part. Insist they repair it. If they do not talk to the manager, if he does not call htc from the store, if they do not, go home file a complaint with the BBB. But be warned, if it looks like you took a screw driver to the port or screen they are not going to replace it. If it looks like a bad welding job, they just might. Just be nice but insistent.

Upvote 0
Take it to one of sprints repair centers instead of their corporate store. Tell them that your phone isn't charging and they should order you a new one under warranty.

My port broke a week ago and the repair center gave me no hassle. Ordered me a new phone after taking a look at it. Told me come back in three days.

Although I haven't got my phone yet, I'm sure glad I don't have to pay anything

Try taking it in before you do something crazy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones