• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to get KitKat + Overclock + working vibration + camfix for ov5693 cam/12b [UPDATE NOV. 14 2015]

JayzTwoDimes

Mar 15, 2015
This entire guide is making the assumption that you're on the stock jellybean rom for this phone, and that you're willing to sacrifice the LED on the camera and the notification LED on the front. I don't know how long this guide will be valid, but for now I think this might help a few people out.

1. Go to settings -> security -> check 'unknown sources'

2. Download and install towelroot: https://towelroot.com/

3. root through towelroot by pressing the 'make it ra1n' button
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These steps are optional: Installing busybox seems to give me better results in the process. Installing twrp recovery without busybox installed seems to break google maps. I might be wrong, but after restoring to stock rom and doing this, google maps navigation worked for me again.
-
go to the playstore, download and install SuperSU.
- download 'root checker' and check to make sure you have root.
- download and install 'busybox'
Note: Sometimes after a clean install of the stock ROM, the play store doesn't want to update. I get an 'error cannot reach google servers'. The usual fix is right when the phone is restored to the stock MetroPCS rom and booting, force-shut-down the phone by holding the power button, pressing volume-down + power button to turn it back on, and factory resetting. It has something to do with the dalvik cache. If this doesn't work, download this updated playstore.apk and update it manually.
</end optional steps>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. download and install hroark's twrp recovery apk: http://androidforums.com/threads/metropcs-recovery-twrp-lokied-new-apk-version-08-27-14.861281/ (this older version is more stable and functional than the newer one)

5. download this older version of carbon rom with supported vibration (thanks to masterchief for the file): https://mega.nz/#!65IjEJKA!FDd4km5NKx8BheKE-qaco3x0HS7qxq-gHGk6qZhSQVE ( also doesn't have the App2SD integration issue like the newer one)

6. download hroark's camfix kernel, be sure to download the cm11 version: http://androidforums.com/threads/metropcs-kernerl-cm11-kk-with-ov5693-camera-support.879804/

7. Download DM's supercharged overclock kernel with ov5693 camera support: http://androidforums.com/threads/me...or-lg-optimus-f6-lots-of-fixes.880135/page-42 (it's post #1044)

8. If you want to use the google apps package, I recommend using http://opengapps.org/ and selecting the package you want.

9. Put carbon rom, hroark's camfix kernel, DM's overclock kernel, and the google apps package on your sd card.

10. go to the twrp app that you installed, and press install. Reboot to recovery when it promps you to.

11. Once in recovery, go to data -> wipe -> advanced -> select everything but the sd card and sd-ext -> wipe

12. go to install -> sdcard, and install the files in this order:
1) carbon ROM 2) google apps 3) hroark's camfix kernel 4) Dm's overclock kernel

14. Once booted in to rom, go to settings -> carbon fibers -> crt animation, and select 'none'.

15. go to the playstore and install 'trickster mod'

16. for your camera app, install cameraMX. Don't freak out when the front camera is blue. To fix it, go to the 'fx' button on the top left, and scroll down until you see the effect 'I'm blue' press it, and press the close arrow in the bottom. The front camera will be normal again. The stock google camera crashes when you record videos and doesn't have the fix for the front camera.

17. I'm not going to go in to detail on how use trickstermod. It's pretty easy to find your way around if you play around with the buttons for a bit.
Trickstermod settings:
I/O scheduler = SIO, SD readahead = 512, mpdecision = off, intelliplug = on, set max gpu freq. to 450, set max cpu freq. to 180000, cpu governor=supercharger. Set 'apply on boot' in settings, and 'lock cpu frequenices' above the settings for the minimum and maximum cpu freq.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This will enable simple I/O scheduler, sd card readahead to 512 (Faster SD card read/write speeds, depending on your sd card. Helpful when using the sdcard as internal storage), intelliplug (faster charging times. My F6 fully charges in around 30 minutes now), gpu overclock to 450Mhz, cpu overclock to 1.8Ghz.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

18. To enable button backlight notifications install xposed, and find 'gravitybox' module for KitKat. go to 'display tweaks' and check 'button backlight notifications' towards the bottom. Restart and you should have button backlight notifications to compensate for the absence of the notification LED.

19. To disable the software navbar, go back in to gravitybox -> navigation bar tweaks, tick the 'master switch', check 'enable navigation bar', scroll to the bottom and move all 3 sliders to 0%.

20. A good custom launcher is called 'nova launcher'. You can get if off the play store. Gives you fully-featured lollipop app animations, and app drawer including icons. Extremely customizable.

21. To use the sdcard hack with this specific TWRP recovery, refer to the sdcard hack part of this guide:
http://androidforums.com/threads/me...-and-sd-card-hack-with-working-camera.901824/

SD Card hack official thread:
http://androidforums.com/threads/sd-hack-for-storage-expansion.908126/

For the sdcard hack with this rom, I would download the initd.zip, uninstall.zip, sensor-kksdfix.zip, fsck-ondemand.zip, and wipe-dalvik.zip. Then flash initd.zip -> sensor-kksdfix.zip.

--------------------Fix call echo------------------
download 'build prop editor' off the playstore. Open it and search 'mic'. There should only be one result that comes up. Press it and change it from 'digital' to 'analog'. This fixes the call echo. The echo still remains with speakerphone though.
------------------------------------------------------
Possible music stutter fix (happened occasionally to me, mostly while driving.)
At first what I did (suspecting it was the lighting changes since I was in the car) was turn off the auto screen turn-on when it detects a light change. I thought this might be the core problem since the phone would struggle to play music while detecting tons of light changes. You can try this to see if it helps. What also seemed to help was raising the minimum cpu freq. up one more notch from 450Mhz. You can try this, but it might cause more idle battery drain.

UPDATE:

If you want superior audio quality and control, try using this app. It will install a custom audio driver. On my Oneplus One it works flawlessly. My music sounds amazing using this mod. I have yet to test how much of a difference it makes on the LG phone, but it fully supports KitKat and Jellybean. On KitKat you have to make sure SeLinux is set to Permissive. Otherwise it won't work.
If you're tired of google constantly getting in bed with you and accompanying you everywhere you go, you should definitely try this. It's a project to completely eliminate the need for any google apps on android, including the play store. The developer provides an alternative play store based on open-source code and licenses. When you install play store, I recommend using ES File Explorer. Place the blankstore.apk in /system/priv-app/ and set the permissions to [rw- r-- r--] It'll look like this. You need access to a PC to generate your android ID using Java and either Terminal on Linux or cmd on Windows. Since there's no instructions on this, download the 'android-checkin-1.0.jar' and open a cmd window in the same folder. Type (without quotes and brackets) 'Java -jar android-checkin-1.0.jar [your email] [your email password]' and press enter. It should return an android ID to enter in to blank store. It's recommended you create a fake google account for this too, as google might not take to kindly to you getting access to the play store and app updates without actually using the play store. The developer also provides an open-source, NSA-backdoor-free version of Play services, for those apps that cry when you don't have play services installed. refer to here to download GmsCore.apk and the GfsProxy.apk addon for location services support. Also be sure to grab the xposed module to allow fake signatures in case your ROM doesn't allow them. The project is still in beta, but I've gotten everything to work perfectly. You're going to need to flash either a Cyanogenmod or AOSP ROM to do this.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another open-source alternative to play store I use is called F-Droid. What I do when I'm searching for an app, is to try to find either the exact app or open-source equivalent on here. If not, I use the blank store. Just another alternative to keep me from resorting to google services.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wonderful tool. Not sure if it's practical for the LG F6, but with just root access this installs a custom OpenGL driver. You can fake every app you install in to thinking you have any kind of phone processor you want. If you use this right, this gives you full control over the graphical quality and memory usage of games and apps you use. I have this installed on my OnePlus One, faking everything into thinking I'm using an Adreno 320 and apps set their settings accordingly. This allows me to underclock my Snapdragon 801 without anything lagging. Saving even more battery.

And there you go! This kitkat rom with the overclock is ridiculously fast for this phone.

If you -REALLY- need more details, PM me. I'll try to explain things in greater detail if I have the time.

Last edited:
Thanks! Got everything running fine. 1st time CM11 had Xperion before

One problem regarding tethering though: When connecting to a PC and using portable hotspot (the default one under the status bar) my internet is extremely slow in both IE and Chrome. Is it better to use an app through the play store or a certain setting / trick I'm unaware of? I'm with Metro PCS btw if that matters.

Cheers for the great guide:)

Upvote 0
Thanks! Got everything running fine. 1st time CM11 had Xperion before

One problem regarding tethering though: When connecting to a PC and using portable hotspot (the default one under the status bar) my internet is extremely slow in both IE and Chrome. Is it better to use an app through the play store or a certain setting / trick I'm unaware of? I'm with Metro PCS btw if that matters.

Cheers for the great guide:)
Thanks! My best guess is that MetroPCS is throttling you. I would use a VPN when tethering to prevent that. I personally use PrivateInternetAccess (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/) Also depends on your data plan, and even 4g isn't that fast for a desktop pc tbh.

Last edited:
Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0
Does this get rid of the random reboots? And b.s.o.d I hate the blank screen.
Yeah you shouldn't be getting any random reboots or blank screens. These are fixed by the tweaks I put in the guide. Sometimes when I would restart the phone, the act of the vibration and bringing up the power menu would make the phone vibrate infinitely. I'd just quickly restart and it would work fine.

Honestly after running my phone using this guide for 4 months, I would recommend sticking with xperion and freedom rom. It's MUCH more stable and has flash. The sd card hack is also a lot more stable on Jellybean. But if you really want kitkat, this is currently the best and most stable way that I know of to get it. I know chronus clock widget is dropping support for Jellybean, which is why I went to kitkat. I don't own this phone anymore unfortunately. Gave it to my dad after I got a oneplus one.. he took it in to metropcs to ask how to browse the internet and they tried to factory reset the phone when they saw it didn't have their stock rom on it lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks! My best guess is that MetroPCS is throttling you. I would use a VPN when tethering to prevent that. I personally use PrivateInternetAccess (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/) Also depends on your data plan, and even 4g isn't that fast for a desktop pc tbh.

Oh I have PIA vpn also, absolutely the best. Got a deal from pcmagazine for PIA at $32/year. Only been using it on my desktop, will setup on my phone soon.

Yeah upgraded phone too. F6 is now a dedicated xbmc/kodi remote with Yatse app, perfect for that since it's small and easy to handle with one hand.

See ya around, cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones