• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to install a flash_image; flash a recovery, ROM, or theme. Updated 10/24/2013

AndyOpie150

<strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
May 13, 2011
Florida
You need to have a rooted phone.

If you did not backup your apps before you rooted go to the market and download Titanium Backup and AppTyrant and backup your apks, apps and app data (not enough room to explain their functions here, but PM me if you need help)
Download Root Browser Lite to unzip the flash_image and the recovery if they are zipped.
If the recovery isn't zipped it will have .img on the end. If the flash_image isn't zipped it will have either .bin or nothing on the end.

1.Update: 01/21/2013 to give instructions for the ZenGarden recovery

They ZenGarden recovery is a new and pretty good "new user friendly" recovery. It has all the features of the Xionia and Touch Screen + more, so you only need just it on the SD card.
Please go thru and familiarize your self with it's menu options as they are improved and thus have a slightly different layout than the older recovery's.
The nandroid (nandroid backup) option is the backup option.
It has the option to make a partition on the SD card
It has an option to convert an ext.3 formatted partition on a SD card to ext.4
It has the "fix recovery loop" option as well.

For a list of recovery's for our V go to the All Things Root Guide sticky found here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...all-things-root-guide-updated-03-11-13-a.html

(Tip): I renamed Xionia recovery to xrecovery.img, the Bob Zohme recovery to brecovery.img, the ZenGarden recovery to zrecovery.img and the Touch Screen recovery to trecovery.img. This way all I have to do if I want to switch from one to the other is type in either one's shortened name where it calls for recovery.img in the code. Example: Instead of typing in recovery.img in line #5 of the code, I would type in brecovery.img if I wanted to install the BobZohme recovery.

You can only have one recovery installed at any given time, but you can have all of them on the sd card (make sure they have different names).

VM670NH and the "Touch Screen" recovery are great for Harmonia, HarmoniousBumblebee, Resurrected Bumblebee, Gingerbread ROM's, Ice Cream Sandwich ROM's, and Jellybean ROM's
Xionia works best for the rest of the Froyo based ROM's including the Bumblebee ROM ( will work on the Harmonia,Harmonious BumbleBee, and Resurrected Bumblebee as well).

The ZenGarden works with all ROMs and seems to have no problem with restoring a backup made from another recovery, but it sometimes has problems flashing kernels and patches/fixes.

The VM670NH and the Xionia recovery's are the only ones that can be used to flash the ZV9 update. Anything else might brick your phone.

If not using the Xionia or ZenGarden recovery's then you will need to have the zipped version of either one on the root of the SD card in case you ever get yourself into a recovery loop (just ask).

2. The flash_image can be found here flash_image.zip

3: For a list of ROMs for the V go to the All Things Root Guide sticky.
Some Froyo ROM's will need a kernel installed to work properly with the Hitachi screen found on most new 2.2.2 versions. For more info on this topic go here [FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

To determine which screen you have go here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/430626-different-gen-phones.html, you must be rooted and have Busybox installed first.
If you have a 2.2.1 ZV4 Optimus V: you have a Novatek screen and can flash anything made for the V, anything.

Note: You can use any recovery developed for the Optimus V with the Harmonia, HarmoniousBumblebee, and Resurected Bumblebee ROM. These ROM's I know will work fine with the Hitachi screen and do not require a kernel install. All the Gingerbread ROM's in the github work with the Hitachi screen as well as the new ICS and Jellybean ROMs.

4. Make sure you unzip the recovery and the flash image, if not unzipped already. Put them on the Root of the sd card (somewhere near the bottom of the list of file folders on the sd card, but not in any folder). The ROM and Gapps need to stay zipped and can be put on the root of sd card or in a folder (just as long as you can find them when it comes time to install).

5. Using a root file manager like Root Browser Lite, rename the ZenGarden recovery image (or whatever recovery you choose) to recovery.img or something easy for you to remember (must have .img on the end) This just makes it easy to type in the name of the recovery in the code. You can name it whatever you want as long as you type in the name of the recovery exactly as it is spelled on the sd card when it comes to that part of the code.

There are two versions of the flash_image. One when downloaded and unzipped just says: flash_image.
If you managed to download the other from somewhere else and it reads: flash_image.bin, then this one will need either to be renamed to just flash_image or you will need to type in the full name: flash_image.bin in the code.

The code is very specific. You are telling it what to look for. If you tell it to find the Xionia_recovery.img but the full name on the SD card is: Xionia_cwma_1.2518.4_recovery.img then you will get an error because it can't find exactly what you typed in.
That's why you should rename the recovery to something easy to remember and type in.

6a. Download a terminal emulator from the market (It must stay in the internal storage, Do not move to SD card, if not you will bork your recovery partition and only fastboot commands will save you). Open it up and type in:

(line #1) su(return) [If using a command Prompt on a PC type in: adb shell (return) instead]
(line #2) mount_-o_remount,rw_-t_yaffs2_/system_/system(return)
(line #3) cat_/sdcard/flash_image_>_/system/bin/flash_image(return)
(line #4) chmod_755_/system/bin/flash_image(return)
(line #5) flash_image_recovery_/sdcard/recovery.img [or however it's named exactly, on the sd card] (return) If you get a # after typing all that in, continue with the sixth line of code. If you did not, or got an error anywhere, start over.
(line #6) reboot_recovery(return)

The red underscores are where the spaces should be, do not type them.
(return)=do not type this. Just hit the enter key(the one on the bottom right if in the terminal emulator)
(line #) don't type this in.

If you just need to flash a recovery then skip the third and forth line of the code.

Note: If after typing in su and hiting enter key you loose the keyboard, just hit the menu key and select to toggle soft keyboard.
If having a problem renaming the flash_image.bin then add the .bin to the flash_image in the 3rd line of the code so that you are typing in flash_image.bin instead of just flash_image. Once you have installed the flash_image.bin hit the home button to exit the terminal emulator (this will leave it running if you didn't change the settings), go to the /system/bin on the phone with a good Root file manager. Change the system from R/O to R/W and rename the flash_image.bin to just flash_ image. When done change the system back to R/O then go to terminal emulator and finish line 4-6.

6b. Alternative method: Use the flash_image GUI provided here Flash Image GUI
This is the easiest way to flash the recovery. It will also install the flash image into the proper directory and folder.

7. You should now be in your recovery. To scroll use the up/down volume keys.
To select:
1:Use the camera key if you flashed theVM670NH recovery (any ClockworkMod recovery).
2: Use either the menu key or the home key if you flashed the Xionia recovery (if you choose one and it makes the screen go blank just hit it again and then use the other).
3: If you installed a recovery with touch screen functions, like the ZenGarden recovery, then use the back arrow to go back, up/down arrows to scroll, and the rectangle to the far right to make selections. You can also use the same physical buttons as the VM670NH_recovery.

This first thing (and most important) you need to do is go to the backup and restore section and select Nandroid (backup in the older recovery's). This will make a backup of your current system in case you make a mistake with the ROM install.
If you want to restore a backup you will first have to wipe and format everything that's needed to install a ROM as mentioned below. Then select the restore option and pick the date stamp of the nandroid backup you want to install.

8. ROM installation instructions:

For a list of ROMs and (Gapps if needed), go to the All Things Root Guide sticky.

(Update for the ZenGarden recovery- just go to wipe option and select every option once to thoroughly satisfy the pre-ROM wipe requirements of A, B, C, and D below).

You need to do steps A. thru D. from the recovery if not using the ZenGarden recovery.

A. wipe data/factory reset

B. wipe cache partition.

C. wipe dalvik cache (advanced section).

Now that your rooted, YOU MUST NEVER USE THE FACTORY RESET IN THE PRIVACY MENU ON THE PHONE . This will mess up your phone and require a PC and much gnashing of your teeth, and possible loss of some system functionality. You can only use the "wipe data/factory reset" option in the recovery (does the same thing as the one in the privacy menu, only it doesn't brick your phone).

D. Go to mounts and storage. Select to format the boot,system,data,and cache.

Once everything is wiped, and formatted, go to E.
All info in () is for every recovery older than the ZenGarden recovery (Xionia, ClockworkMod, VM670NH, etc.)

E. Go to install package option (install zip from sd card in recovery's developed prior to the ZenGarden recovery)

F. Select the option that best describes what you need to do (go to select zip from sd card if older recovery), select the ROM.zip that you put on the root of the sd card (When done go back and select the Gapps.zip if flashing a Gingerbread or newer ROM). When done hit the back button once.

G.,When all this is done select the reboot option, then the android option ("reboot system now" if older recovery).
If you selected an auto boot after install option in the ZenGarden, then the phone will auto boot into the New ROM.

Note: In order for any auto boot option to work in the ZenGarden the ROM and or Gapps must be on the root of the SD card, not in any folder.

For Froyo ROM's just install the ROM, thats all. You don't need the Gapps.
Same for the Harmonia2 and Mandylion gingerbread ROMs.

9. It will take 5-10min.for the initial reboot. If you installed a Gingerbread ROM you will be asked to sign in,skip all this. Then set up WiFi network connection if you have one.

Now you can go to the market app and click on it and sign in to your google account (you must have your e-mail address and log in code). Reboot the phone twice then go back to the market and download the app you used to backup your apps. Restore your apps. Set up your apps. Once you get everything set up just the way you like it and all your apps are just where you want them,go back into your recovery and make a backup of that ROM. You can now delete the first backup if you need to (you might keep it if you ever need to revert back to stock to sell the phone).

WARNING: Do not restore system data from a backup. Do not restore apps from your backups that are already included in the new ROM (you can restore app data). This will cause force closure issues and can corrupt the ROM.

10. If you want to install a theme all you have to do is go into the recovery and wipe cache partition and dalvik cache, then go to the same option you did to install the ROM (theme must remain zipped)
When you need to install an update to an installed ROM,all you have to do is wipe cache,and dalvik.
If you want to install a kernel or patch, wipe cache partition and dalvik cache. Then go to the same option you had to, to install the ROM.

11. To change the boot animation if you are rooted (must remain zipped) go to /system/media (make sure that you have changed permission of the system from r/o to r/w) and delete the boot animation found there (you can move and save it to a folder on the sd card as well). Then copy the boot animation you have on the sd card and paste it where the old animation used to be (on next reboot it will be there).

EDIT:
12. Just as important as the nandroid backup is writing down your AAA, ESN, and MIN code. Keep these in a safe place for possible use in case you should brick your phone (happens to the best of use). The Video Tutorials for getting these from your phone can be found here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...-proof-d-well-easy-way-get-msl-optimus-v.html and here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/602299-how-get-aaa-password-off-optimus-v.html

13. To get out of a recovery loop while using a ClockworkMod recovery just put the zipped version of the ZenGarden or Xionia recovery's on the root of the SD card. Then install like you would a ROM (no need to wipe anything) from the ClockworkMod recovery. When done go to the "reboot recovery" option and select it. Your phone should now boot into the new recovery. Find the "fix recovery loop" option and select it.
That's all there is to it.

This is absolutely the best guide for installing flash _image, flashing a recovery and rom that i ever used, very "noob friendly "!!!

If anyone follows this guide, and follows the directions, it's almost impossible to screw up!

Once again great job Andy and thanks for all of your hard work, i for one certainly appreciate
it.

Last night i accidentally deleted a system app and got the blue fastboot screen, last time that happened it cost me $40.00 for a local computer shop to unbrick it cause i have no computer and couldn't get into my recovery no matter what i tried.

With zengarden, even though i was stuck on the blue fastboot screen, i pulled the battery and zengarden let me in, i did a full wipe followed this guide and flashed the new MiRaGe rom with gapps, wow i was so relieved, point is my old recovery i would have a brick without a PC

THANKS AGAIN

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
The Gapps are needed for all Gingerbread ROMs but the Mandylion and Harmonia2.

The 20110828 is for the Gingerbread ROMs. The version with the "New Talk" is glitchy. Use the older version.

Explain in as much detail what you did, and with what.
Also: Which recovery did you install?
The more detailed the info the quicker I can get you rocking a killer ROM.

Upvote 0
ok, i installed the mirage 7.2 and the zengarden recovery. the link for the gapps just went to a mediashare page and showed just a white screen with nothing to dl. what gapps file would u recommend? all seems to be working fine, I just don't have the gapps installed. Also, I upgraded my plan a while back and now have a HTC evo V 4G as main user. OV still works as wifi user just cant make phone calls or send texts. don't know if that will effect gapps installation or what

Upvote 0
Jeff, might be a server problem on your end. Download AFV (Android File Verifier) from the PlayStore.
Whenever you download a zip file copy the given md5 sum. Then use AVF to check that the md5 of the download matches.
Do this religiously with any zip to prevent installing something corrupted in the download transfer from the sever in your area.

Reactions: jeff blackwell
Upvote 0
Now that you have broken the flashing barrier, go to the All Things Root Guide sticky and read and flash, and read and flash some more. This way you can become a member of the Flash-a-Holics society.

There are quite a few older Froyo Roms that are pretty cool. Like the Rhodimus ROM, and the Bumblebee ROM. You will need a Froyo ROM.zip on the SD card in case you didn't backup your stock ROM. Never know when you might need the Activate app which is not in any Gingerbread, ICS, or Jellybean ROM's. Can only be found in the stock and the Froyo ROM's.

The Froyo Roms don't need the Gapps. make sure you have the Zengarden recovery or the Xionia recovery installed before flashing them.

Upvote 0
I've installed the zengarden custom recovery and getting ready to install a custom rom. I am a bit timid about this next step and want to make sure first.

(Update for the ZenGarden recovery- just go to wipe option and select every option once to thoroughly satisfy the pre-ROM wipe requirements of A, B, C, and D below).

This is in zengarden recovery: Under the wipe and format option the second option on the list is "Data/Factory Reset" I understand that doing a factory reset after rooted will brick the device. I just want to make sure before I proceed. Thanks in advance!!

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have done everything as stated yet every time I reboot it just goes to ZenGarden. I can't seem to exit ZenGarden and nothing else loads. What should I do? Thanks

First i hope you made a backup, then you should have put the rom.zip on the root of your SD card and gapps if needed. Go to the wipe options, do all four options ,make sure you install rom.zip and gapps, if you didn't select to reboot automatically, hit the back arrow, select reboot system, you should now boot into your new rom.

Post back and tell us exactly what you did, and what rom you decided on. Right now the MiRaGe rom is the most stable for our phone, it requires the 20110828 gapps.

If you need more help, don't be afraid to ask. :)

Upvote 0
Hi badblue1,
I finally got it straightened out this morning.
I don't know what I did wrong at first or if a file was corrupt.
I did end up using MiRaGe rom with the 20110828 gapps.
Seems to be working. Now time to install everything else I need.
Thank you for the reply. :)

Your welcome, it is always a good idea to reboot a few times to help tighten up the rom.

Also if you want to overclock ,go to settings > cyanogenmod settings > performance, we have found that setting cpu at 480 min. and 768 max with the interactive governor are the best settings, but don't check the box, set on boot, until you make sure you have no force closing or reboots, if after none of that happens, go ahead and check the box

Once you have the rom setup like you want, apps backed up, don't forget to make a nandroid backup in recovery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones