• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to install custom Rom?

tman152

Lurker
Jun 8, 2010
I have an evo 4G and I did step 1 of the android rooting instructions

I want to install Fresh 0.2 but I am not sure how to do that.

all the instructions I can find say "download and install"

I tried downloading Rom Manager from the marketplace, after installing that I installed Flash ClockworkMod recovery inside of Rom manager.

freom there I tried both installing the Rom from the SD card option and downloading the Rom inside the program. a window opens a windo giving me an option to backup my current rom and wipe data and cache and then tell me to press ok to reboot into clockmod recovery and continue installation.

that is as far as I get. after I press ok absolutely nothing happens, no reboot, no progress bar telling me its going to reboot, absolutely nothing.

what am I doing wrong?

ok I figured it out. I did it trough the recovery mode that I got to from the rooting instructions.

I would still like to know why ROM manager wasnt working though?

It may have been working, did you look at the top left corner of your phone, in the status bar up there where 3G and all other status indicators are? There should have been an icon of the file downloading, once you click ok on the screens you mention it begins to download but you dont get a screen showing you it, it actually is up in the status bar, and can take a few minutes, then the phone reboots and viola your rom installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones