• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How-To] Install SPRecovery on unrooted 2.1 OTA

from what i heard the version of adamz smoked glass thats on rom manager is a bad file. i would guess that's why you lost superuser permissions.

Yeah I'm trying to download one right now that appears to come directly from him, but after placing it on the root of my phone and running ClockworldMod, I don't see it as an option to install. I used to have SirPsychoS' SPRecovery v0.99.2b or v0.99.3b and I'm wondering if I actually need that after all.

Upvote 0
ok, i'm getting stuck at flashing the SBF... i get the following error immediately after clicking Start: "Failed Flashing process. Failed Flashing process. (0x7100); phone connected" i've flashed various SBFs multiple times all without a single issue until this particular one. i did check the md5sum and it is correct. i did find that i couldn't leave the SBF in my \users\gary\Downloads directory for some reason (Start would never become available). i moved the SBF to \ and Start is available but, like i stated above, it fails immediately. i can reboot the phone and all is well so nothing gets f'd up. any advice?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the instructions below to get su and superuser on there. FYI - if you just add /system/bin/ before the chmod commands in the OP it will work and wont give you the "not found" issue.

hey guys new to this... need help. I did the first part..."sprecovery on unrooted 2.1"... everything went fine but i am trying to do the rooting part without having to install a custon rom and i am lost!!! after the step 2 of poknow dont know what else to do. i have the two files su and superuser. how do i put the files in the phone? am i supposed to run another program or something??? sorry for the noob question..

Upvote 0
hey guys new to this... need help. I did the first part..."sprecovery on unrooted 2.1"... everything went fine but i am trying to do the rooting part without having to install a custon rom and i am lost!!! after the step 2 of poknow dont know what else to do. i have the two files su and superuser. how do i put the files in the phone? am i supposed to run another program or something??? sorry for the noob question..

Yes, you'll need to download the Android SDK. One of the tools is 'adb', which you will use to run the commands in the instructions. Get started here:

Android SDK | Android Developers

There are plenty of tutorials available on how to get it up and working. Look around this forum or Google.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I ended up doing it from the part 2 of the video that is posted on the thread on youtube. (if i am allowed i can post the link dont know the rules of the forum that well) my plan was to root without having to erase everything. but the way the video did it i ended up wiping and reinstalling official 2.1 rooted. for that i would of installed a custom rom... either way i am happy...

Upvote 0
Got it working for those who need to know

1. Install Android SDK
2. Follow instructions up to mount /system
3. adb usb

• adb devices (to verify)
  • adb shell (to verify you get #)
  • if you don't get # don't bother going forward
4. adb push su /system/bin/su
5. adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
6. adb shell

• /system/bin/chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
  • /system/bin/chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk"
7. Reboot and you'll have root
8. Install tethering? Forget it... no netfilter...

ok a get no number returned for shell. Why is that?

Upvote 0
I followed these instructions and everything worked great! I had the same problem as described above but all I had to do was "adb remount" and everything started working.

One curious problem is the built in weather widget, the one that does the weather and news does not update it's location on it's own anymore. It just displays "No weather information". It's not a huge deal since I use Weatherbug anyways.....

Upvote 0
step zero: download attached zip and extract
step one: boot into sprecovery
step two: mount /system from sprecovery
step three:

Code:
adb push su /system/bin/su
adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
adb shell "chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk"
step four: reboot
step five: stay alive

enjoy rooted stock ESE81, with no need to screw up your shit or install a hacked together copy of ota...

WHY is this not working for me...?
I followed every step. When I open up the command line and type:

I get nothing. Just sits there.

The SU file and Superuser.apk are in the tools folder with the ADB file.

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by samedroidsex
step three:

Code:

enjoy rooted stock ESE81, with no need to [wipe your data] install a hacked together copy of ota...

I get to this and i put the first line of code in cmd with the directory set to adb tools but i get an error saying device no detected yet my computer sees my phone and i can access it? any ideas?

Upvote 0
Alright guys I'm having a little bit of trouble with the adb commands on this one.

I can adb device and it will spot my phone in recovery mode, however, when I adb push su /system/bin/su I get "Cannot stat 'su': No such file or directory exists". If it matters I can also adb shell and get #

I have the ESE81_su.zip extracted and the /system/bin/ folders from the .zip copied to the /adb/tools/ folders in mySDK path.

I think it may have something to do with how I'm saving the /system/ folder to the /tools/ but I'm not positive.

Any suggestions would help, i'm a little stalled out atm.

Upvote 0
Alright guys I'm having a little bit of trouble with the adb commands on this one.

I can adb device and it will spot my phone in recovery mode, however, when I adb push su /system/bin/su I get "Cannot stat 'su': No such file or directory exists". If it matters I can also adb shell and get #

I have the ESE81_su.zip extracted and the /system/bin/ folders from the .zip copied to the /adb/tools/ folders in mySDK path.

I think it may have something to do with how I'm saving the /system/ folder to the /tools/ but I'm not positive.

Any suggestions would help, i'm a little stalled out atm.
same problem here
EDIT i got it to work but now it says chmod not found

Edit: I have superuser in my applications but when use root apps it wont detect root

Upvote 0
same problem here
EDIT i got it to work but now it says chmod not found

Edit: I have superuser in my applications but when use root apps it wont detect root

You may have to include the full path, i.e. :

/system/bin/chmod

then whatever permissions you're trying to change.

so if I have a mac what all do I need?

You'll need Windows :p

...at least for the RSD Lite step.

Upvote 0
so at what part do i type chmod
could u rewrite how to do the adb commands in the write order so it works plz

I have no idea what step you are at. I've made the necessary changes to the OP. I think you can figure it out from this:

These are the instructions, thanks to samedroidsex.

step three:

Code:

enjoy rooted stock ESE81, with no need to [wipe your data] install a hacked together copy of ota...

**If you're having issues with the chmod commands, try using /system/bin/chmod instead, i.e. "/system/bin/chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"**

Upvote 0
Will I have to reinstall all apps and such, after installing this sbf?

No, this only replaces the stock recovery with a hacked one, which will allow you to either:

a) root your current ROM (which will not change any of your apps or settings)
b) install a ROM w/ root already (which may cause you to lose your apps and settings)

Reactions: gadzooks
Upvote 0
sort of confused so here it is...

i have stock 2.1, i have never rooted. however i did install 2.1 with the OTA 2.1 zip file that some one posted on the board without waiting to get the OTA myself.

if i follow this thread in its entirety, i will be able to have a rooted version of ESE81? i think i understand that it will still be a ROM but it will basically still be 2.1

main reason i want to root is to install/use metamorph

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones