• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to: Manually apply Froyo 2.2 (3.26.651.3) update

Here's the working instructions... Lots of bad instructions and mis-information out there..

Want to upgrade manually yourself?

1. Download the Android 2.2 firmware for the Evo to your PC.
  2. Place the file in the top level directory of your SD Card. (Do not unzip this file)
  3. Rename the downloaded file.
    (If your Windows is configured to show extensions, then rename it "update.zip" if you do not have extensions visible then rename it "update" (NOTE: If downloading the file from the above link, it's already been renamed for you)
  4. If you don't have it already, download ASTRO File Manager from the Android Market.
  5. Connect your EVO to your PC and set the connection type to "Disk Drive"
  6. Copy over the downloaded file to the root of your EVO directory structure.
  7. Power down your Evo
  8. Reboot into Recovery Mode by Holding down the

As has been mentioned, this may not be the final ROM, so proceed to install at your own risk.

From Engadget:

Update: HTC just shot us a message to clarify that this is not the final ROM version and that the company is strongly recommending not to install this. Additionally, a request has been put in to remove the file from the server, so if you still want to try at your own risk, better download now while it's still available.

Update 2: ... and now it's gone. We're sure crafty internet users can still find the file lingering elsewhere, but you won't be getting it from HTC's servers this weekend. You know the old saying, ye who snoozes, something something, tough luck.

Scare tactic from a HTC screw up? Maybe. It's also possible it was going to be a semi-quiet roll out that escalated into a very loud roar.

Those that don't mind taking a slight chance will have already downloaded or even installed already, but those of you on the fence may want to wait until the 3rd.

This post is not meant to argue either side. It's meant as a warning to those that are wary before the 3rd.

Upvote 0
I will also add...

The Update was scheduled to be released to a certain few merchants and users this afternoon. They were notified by email to the link. Engadget (or whoever the hell else) got hold of the link and posted it up. This update for all intent and purposes is the final. Now it may be true that those who were destined to receive this link/file are beta testers to test it out and possibly get any fixes before Tuesdays official send off, but thats for another topic. So for all intent and purposes, this is the final, IMO.

Now this isn't an okay to go ahead and download it and install it. If anyone still has reservations, then like pwnst*r said don't download it. Be patient and wait till Tuesday for the file.

With that said, AndroidForums is not condoning or restricting anyone wanting to test this file themselves. Its your choice. All I ask is to read and re-read the instruction slowly and carefully and be patience while the install does what it does.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also Members,

The above post has been copied over from the "EVO 4G's Android 2.2 update starts trickling out July 30 (official OTA August 3rd)" thread. This allows you all to see the instructions without having to go in search of them in that 750+ post thread.

If you encounter any issue doing this install please post your issue in any of the following threads...

Discussions about the OTA update, the dates of release go to..
EVO 4G's Android 2.2 update starts trickling out July 30 (official OTA August 3rd)

For discussions on installation issues or error while installing, please post here...
Official Froyo 2.2 Installation/Error Thread

For any issue after installation, please post in the Troubleshooting sub-section.

Thanks
TS

Upvote 0
To bad the OTA that HTC release isn't the final one, the final build release is (3.26.651.3) and the one HTC released was (3.26.651.1)

You've made an understandable error that's being fed all over the web.

The only thing that happened was that the file name was mangled - by both Macs and PCs - when providing the final DL version.

All that really happened was that it seems to contain some reference to the earlier 1.47.yadda update - either as part of the signature - or an internal install option for those running pre-1.47 -- without x-ray vision we can't be sure.

Here's the name of the file on download - prior to truncation/mangling.

OTA_update_name.jpg (click to expand)

Yet another update crisis scare averted.

Anyone that wants to verify - just look inside your Software information under Settings-> About phone.

PS - This is not a beta test file - this is a Release Candidate.

What comes out next week could be identical - or completely different.

Reactions: eric3316
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This may be a 'release candidate', but it's not the 'final' copy. All that you type up was a waste. Like I said, the final copy is (3.26.651.3), that's not what was on HTC servers. If that is the final copy why did HTC take it off AFTER people started having problems with there phone?
They probably took it down because they didn't want it out there for everyone to download yet. Especially the way we are doing it.

It is suppose to be an over the air update and we are not installing it that way, so if people ruin their phone trying to install the way we are doing that could be a problem.

Upvote 0
This may be a 'release candidate', but it's not the 'final' copy. All that you type up was a waste. Like I said, the final copy is (3.26.651.3), that's not what was on HTC servers. If that is the final copy why did HTC take it off AFTER people started having problems with there phone?

OK, now you're either terribly confused or your simply making things up.

HTC's intent was to limit the distribution of this RC. When it started getting widespread and rapidly adopted with a crack team of root users handing out instructions and proctoring people on what to do - they locked it down.

And please - stop being stubborn. Read the file handler I provided. This is 3.26.651.3 - period. You don't get to put your vote in on what you want a fact to be. You're simply quite mistaken about that file revision number.

And you may be right - it's entirely possible that everything I type is a waste, per the following model:

Horse. Water. Drink.

Reactions: sagedil
Upvote 0
Alot of people are making down right false claims that this is the final release even when htc has come out and said more then once it is not. I would trust HTC on this and not people in the forums.

Nobody knows outside of HTC what it will be.

I have yet to notice people making that claim.

In fact, several of us have been arguing against that for hours and have been quite clear that this is an at-risk release candidate.

From the start.

So, these people insisting that this is final - what are their names?

Upvote 0

Because HTC wanted guinea pigs, oops, I meant "self-volunteered" beta testers. I have the original file on my phone right now and another version from XDA on my computer. I just waited to see what the issues will be before I make my final decision on what to do.

Upvote 0

When you go to about phone after the leaked update, the version is 3.26.651.3!

Upvote 0
If HTC doesn't change the version number but includes changes, are we screwed? the phone shouldn't recognize new software if we already have the right version number. this build does have some bugs.

I also think HTC knew exactly what they were doing. we are the last minute beta testers and then they can see forum feedback and make last minute changes.

Upvote 0
To bad the OTA that HTC release isn't the final one, the final build release is (3.26.651.3) and the one HTC released was (3.26.651.1)

mine says 3.26.651.3. lucky me, i got the final build release yesterday! hooray, froyo (and, hooray beer)!

Upvote 0
If HTC doesn't change the version number but includes changes, are we screwed? the phone shouldn't recognize new software if we already have the right version number. this build does have some bugs.

I also think HTC knew exactly what they were doing. we are the last minute beta testers and then they can see forum feedback and make last minute changes.

I haven't noticed any bugs...yet. But if something does pop up and HTC releases the same version number but different code we can try the same manual update process. If that doesn't work then I'll be calling HTC/Sprint tech support..."Hello, yes, I just did the OTA update, my software version is 3.26.651.3 and it's not working right...now lets go through the steps to fix it".

But unless there are some new features added (in the next 2 days with coders working the weekend and not testing it) I am sticking with the version I have. Plus if Sprint sent out an OTA version yesterday to a select few for testing, I doubt Sprint would not provide those users with a method to update to a new version if something changes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones