• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How-To] Nexus-ify your Evo V/3D! (Updated as of 6/4/13!)

What's this? Another HTC Nexus? Close, but no cigar! Here's a little guide on how to Nexus-ify your Evo V/3D!

*DISCLAIMER* You, and you alone, are responsible for any damages that occur as a result of this guide! You do this at your OWN risk!

Step 1- Flash an AOSP based ROM. This includes Cyanogenmod, AOKP, ParanoidAndroid, etc.

Step 2- Figure out how to enable navigation buttons. For AOKP and ParanoidAndroid, this is rather simple. All you need to do for them is find the appropriate setting in the ROM. Cyanogenmod is a little bit trickier. For Cyanogenmod, you must add the following line in your build.prop file-

[HIGH]qemu.hw.mainkeys=0[/HIGH]

After this, reboot and the navigation buttons should be there!

Step 3- Disable the capacitive buttons (these are the buttons beneath the screen). This is somewhat tricky. You have to disable them in two places. Using a root explorer (ES File Explorer is my favorite), enable root access, and navigate to /system/usr/keylayout. Look for the following two files: atmel-touchscreen.kl, and shooter-keypad.kl. Open up atmel-touchscreen.kl, and erase all of the text inside of it (note- do NOT delete the file, just erase the text). BEFORE you do this, make a backup of it just in case. Next, open up shooter-keypad.kl. Look for the following lines:

[HIGH]key 102 HOME
key 139 MENU
key 158 BACK
key 217 SEARCH[/HIGH]

Change it to this:

[HIGH]key 102
key 139
key 158
key 217[/HIGH]

Again, create a backup. After this is done, reboot. Your capacitive buttons should no longer be enabled! If the lights are still on, download Kernel Tuner from the Play Store, and disable them via Kernel Tuner (under Misc.)

Step 4- Hardware fun time! In this step, we'll cover up the capacitive buttons. There are three methods to going about this step. Each one has its pros and cons.

a) You can use black tape to cover them up. To do this, simply take a piece of black tape, cut it so that it fits on the space between the screen and the rim of the phone (where the capacitive buttons are). Stick it on and you're good! Pros- Looks better than method b (subjective) Cons- Electrical tape (which is the most accessible black tape) usually leaves behind a residue, the matte texture stands out in light

b) You can also use a piece of clear tape, and stick it on the capacitive buttons. Then, color in the tape with a sharpie marker/black pen that will stay on plastics. Be careful during this process! Pros- The glossy texture blends in nicely, more accessible (everyone has a sharpie and scotch tape!) Cons- When you use a sharpie on plastic, they usually dry with a bronze like color which is apparent in light, sharpie tends to chip off after a while

c) NEW! This method involves a piece of black tape (electrical tape is what I use), just like method a. However, this one has more finesse to it. First, take a piece of paper and trim off a piece that is 6cm long, and about 2cm wide. Take this piece of paper and then put it over the capacitive buttons. Line it up with the bottom of the LCD display, and try to cover the whole bottom part of your phone. Next, trace along the bottom rim of your phone with a pencil on top of the piece of paper (you should be holding the piece of paper above the glass). Next, cut the piece of paper along those trace lines you created. You should end up with a piece of paper that fits over the whole bottom part of the phone under the screen. Next, tear off a piece of tape that is longer than 6cm. This is where it gets... sticky (ah!). Stick the piece of tape on top of the paper. Make sure the entire piece of paper is covered. Make sure the paper is not completely stuck to the tape! You want it to be a little loose, for reasons you will see soon. Cut the tape around the piece of paper. After this, peel the tape off of the paper. Now stick this piece of tape on your phone! Pros- Looks the nicest (subjective) Cons- time consuming, same cons as method a

A thing to note about method c- if you have matte finish tape, it kind of looks like the "chin" on the HTC One, or HTC One V.

Congratulations! You've successfully Nexus-ified your Evo V/3D! :D

Note- Sweep2Wake works with the tape on! Also, even though the capacitive buttons are disabled, they technically receive input, so when you touch the bottom part of your phone, the screen will not accept input.

Some pictures-

My phone when I used method a

nexus3d.jpeg

Bronze-like color that results from method b

bronzingnexus3d.jpeg

Method c in light

CvI2Zez.jpg

Method c from a normal angle (somewhat bad lighting)

ZY8t03U.jpg

I apologize for the bad pictures, all I have is an iPad 2 camera to take pictures with. :p

Reactions: goshjosh and redgjm
I dont understand why you would want to lose screen space.. For buttons that are already available and dedicated to the same functionality.... But thats just me. :thinking:

You're not actually losing that much screen space, they look pretty cool, and I like how they work (autohide, rotation, just plain out being slick).

Also, Google designs their apps (most notably the launcher) to look good on their flagship devices. If you compare the homescreens of the Nexus 4 and the "Nexus" Galaxy S4, you'll notice the Nexus S4 looks a bit off. In this image for example, notice the dock and the first row of icons have a large, odd space between them. You don't see this on the true Nexus devices, partly due to the fact that they have navigation buttons.

TL;DR: It looks better. :p

Upvote 0
The big piece of tape across the bottom of the phone kind of wipes out any cool factor.

Well Then, figure out how to make it cooler and then share !:D
s
INteresting hack TY for taking time to share.

Actually, I think I figured out a way to make it look even better. Adding to the OP now. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones