• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to organize my photo on a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

MikeMyers

May 31, 2012
PREVIOUS PHONE:
My old iphone put all the photos together into one folder on the iphone. After looking around on the 'net, and in the iphone support forums, I found that itunes provides a way to 'sync' with any specified folder on a PC. Then, in that folder, you can have as many folders as you want, so I can create folders for New York, Chicago, Seattle, etc.... So far, so good. Unfortunately, there is no way to create folders within those folders, meaning when I post my photos of say, New York, all my photos are mixed in together - I'd prefer a sub-folder for "Empire State Building", "Statue of Liberty", "Brother's birthday", and so on. That is not possible, and there are a huge number of people in the iphone forums who are even more frustrated than I was.

NEW ANDROID SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS (ICS):
Desired file structure:

• Main Folder 1
    • Sub folder 1
    • Sub folder 2
    • Sub folder 3
  • Main Folder 2
    • Sub folder 1
    • Sub folder 2
      • Sub-sub folder 1
      • Sub-sub folder 2
    • Sub folder 3
    • Sub folder 4
  • Main folder 3
  • Main folder 4
    • Sub folder 1
    • Sub folder 2

In other words, I'd like to create a folder for each year. Maybe I want folders for different months, or cities, or people within that folder. Then, perhaps in a folder of New York (which is already in the 2012 folder) I can have folders for a visit with family, or a trip to the Statue of Liberty, or whatever - all the photos would be nicely organized, and even if I have thousands of photos, I'll be able to find them.

It would be nice if all this work were to be done on the phone, but I'd be perfectly happy to create the folder (file) structure on a PC, and then simply copy it over to the phone.

There have been discussions about this in the past, but I've never seen any solutions. With all the new software, apps, phones, etc., has anyone solved this problem?

The gallery in ICS has the ability to "group items" by location, time, people, tags. Just open an album and click the menu button in the upper right. I haven't tried it but that may work for you. You'd just have to tag each of your pics. I don't know if there's an app that can do that or if you'd need to connect to a PC and tag them, or if there's a 3rd party camera that lets you tag photos.

Upvote 0
Ya know, android is just so awesume. I just tried to see if I could do this on my Atrix 4G and I was able to create subfolders within the main folders. I use "Quickpic" as my main gallery app and "ES File Explorer" to organize all my files and folders. I was able to create both main and subfolders within the Quickpic's app. So, yes you can.

Upvote 0
The gallery in ICS has the ability to "group items" by location, time, people, tags. Just open an album and click the menu button in the upper right. I haven't tried it but that may work for you. You'd just have to tag each of your pics. I don't know if there's an app that can do that or if you'd need to connect to a PC and tag them, or if there's a 3rd party camera that lets you tag photos.

Tim, that won't help. I don't need the gallery to do anything other than display the images as posted on the phone (in the appropriate folder, and in the same order). The last thing that I would want is for the software to change my grouping.

For other applications, sure - that could be very helpful to some people, but its not what I'm after here.

Upvote 0
Ya know, android is just so awesume. I just tried to see if I could do this on my Atrix 4G and I was able to create subfolders within the main folders. I use "Quickpic" as my main gallery app and "ES File Explorer" to organize all my files and folders. I was able to create both main and subfolders within the Quickpic's app. So, yes you can.

ES File Explorer seems to do the job perfectly. For now, I think my problem is solved - but I'll gladly try out "Quickpic" as well.

Even the built-in Gallery application is good, as long as I'm not needing to do a lot of folder navigation. That's much easier for me to do in ES. Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones