• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How-To] Prevent FRG83D OTA

1. In Root Explorer, go to /system/

2. Tap Mount R/W at the top, then long-press on build.prop and scroll down to Open in Text Editor

3A. Once the file is open as a text file, scroll down until you see the line that says: "ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG01B/45394:user/release-keys" (or something similar; the numbers may not be the exact same for you) and CHANGE it to read as follows:
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2.1/FRG83D/75603:user/release-keys

3B. Find the following (located just before the line listed in step 3A):
ro.build.description=voles-user 2.2.1 FRG01B 45394 release-keys (or something similar; the numbers may not be the exact same for you) and CHANGE it to the following: ro.build.description=voles-user 2.2.1 FRG83D 75603 release-keys

4. Tap the back key and say "Yes" when it asks you to save (it will automatically back up the original file for you)

5. Tap Mount R/O at the top

6. Reboot

Please note that your original numbers listed may not be the same as listed above because you may be coming from a different build. However, the lines will be the same (different numbers) and as long as you change it to read as listed above, you will be fine.

Kratos

woke up to having to do this..

but I noticed an error.. in 3A you said

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG83D/75603:user/release-keys

but I think it should be

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2.1/FRG83D/75603:user/release-keys

no?

Good catch! Thank you very much. I'm trying to do everything on my phone since my laptop died the other day... LOL

Kratos

Upvote 0
reroot it... theoretically speaking

So would I, er, I mean, would this theoretical person need to complete one of the un-rooting procedures, and then re-root?

After the ota update, I still have the superuser app installed in my app list, but none of the apps that require root work. So I'm not sure if I would need to un-root and start over, or if there was something else I could do.

Upvote 0
On the last update clockwork blocked the installation of the update, are you saying it installed the update on a rooted phone?

Did you try opening superuser to see if you can allow the apps access?

Yes, my phone was rooted, and I sleepily allowed it to update to frg83d.

And yes, I can open superuser, and the list of allowed apps are still there, but when i try to run any of root access apps, it says my phone isn't rooted.

Upvote 0
So would I, er, I mean, would this theoretical person need to complete one of the un-rooting procedures, and then re-root?

After the ota update, I still have the superuser app installed in my app list, but none of the apps that require root work. So I'm not sure if I would need to un-root and start over, or if there was something else I could do.

I would not unroot, I would just try to reroot as I would think rooting again the process would see the superuser app and such in place and not touch that, but would complete the rest of the process.

Upvote 0
made the changes via terminal emulator but im still being told to update. the first line says

ro.build.id=FRG01B

does this need to change as well?

the above steps are very clear, if it did not work, it is user error I would say. maybe in the emulator, versus just Root Explorer and editing it like a text file, you messed up and added invisible characters or wrong commands.

and no, do not worry about what ro.build.id=FRG01B says as technically, you still have FRG01B... your blocking FRG83D. same with me.

Upvote 0
was this change supposed to change the build # in the about phone section because mine still says frg22d?

it says that build # as that is the build # your on.

as above with FRG01B.... this just blocks FRG83D, so no reason to change your build # and it does not as that is the build your on.

that being said, you can change your build # to anything you want in build.prop. Mine is "FRG01B Locked-n-Loaded"

Upvote 0
it says that build # as that is the build # your on.

as above with FRG01B.... this just blocks FRG83D, so no reason to change your build # and it does not as that is the build your on.

that being said, you can change your build # to anything you want in build.prop. Mine is "FRG01B Locked-n-Loaded"

ok i dont know how but you confused me a little bit. So what you are trying to say is that as long as it says frg83d in build.prop it doesn't matter what your build # says in about phone?

Upvote 0
I have a rooted droid and it keeps prompting me for an update. I really dont understand the steps. Is root explorer an app off the market? Do I have to pay for it? Do I have to mount the Droid to my computer (if so, could it be a Mac)?

Root Explorer is an app on the market. It is a paid app, but is a very useful app. I highly suggest getting it.

No, you don't have to connect to your computer at all (nor should you). When you open Root Explorer, you will see a button at the top that either says "Mount R/W" or "Mount R/O" depending on whether you are currently R/W or R/O.

Once you get Root Explorer, you will have a better idea what the steps are saying and how to follow them.

Kratos

Upvote 0
Just to be clear, it doesn't matter what's actually in these two lines versus what the phone is actually running? It only matters that these lines have what's necessary to fool the version checker. My phone is running BB 0.4 and the lines show as:

ro.build.description=voles-user 2.2 FRG22 46998 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys

So I need to change both lines to read:

ro.build.description=voles-user 2.2.1 FRG83D 75603 release-keys

Upvote 0
Just to be clear, it doesn't matter what's actually in these two lines versus what the phone is actually running? It only matters that these lines have what's necessary to fool the version checker. My phone is running BB 0.4 and the lines show as:

ro.build.description=voles-user 2.2 FRG22 46998 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys

So I need to change both lines to read:

ro.build.description=voles-user 2.2.1 FRG83D 75603 release-keys

Correct, all this file does is identify the build info (along with a lot of other info). When your phone checks in (or pinged, not sure which happens) for updates, the info in those two lines is given to the server. If they do not match the current build info, then you will prompted to download and install the update.

So, yes, as long as you have an Original Motorola Droid and do not want to be prompted for this update, that is the change you need to make.

Kratos

Reactions: mudtoe
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones