• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to relock bootloader

No I don't believe there is, unless you unlock it through unofficial means first (go s-off)
I'll look into it further though; it also may mention it on the HTC dev site though.

Edit: from the website

Some content on your device may also be invalidated and cannot be accessed any more because of invalid DRM security keys. This includes content that you may have purchased through a 3rd party vendor and through HTC. Furthermore, although you will still be able to receive updates to your device via FOTA (“firmware over the air”), we do not guarantee that updating your device via FOTA will not render your device unusable. Please understand that you will not be able to return your device to the original state and going forward your device may not be held covered under the warranty for all claims resulting from the unlocking of the bootloader. HTC bears no responsibility if your device is no longer usable afterwards.

But I assume, that even if you unlock the bootloader through this method you would still be able to follow the guide for rooting 2.3.4 and downgrade back to froyo and achieve s-off, then install then standard hboot, then follow the process to unroot, BUT I'm really not sure.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
If I unlock my DROID Incredible's bootloader with HTCDev, is there a way to lock it back at any point?

to relock,youll simply use the fastboot command fastboot oem lock

at this point your bootloader will say **relocked** instead of **unlocked** and it will remain so until you run an RUU that overwrites it.

re-locking your bootloader with a custom rom installed will give you a **security warning!** that will lock your phone into bootloader and not reboot(read: make unusable :eek:) and remain that way until you run an ruu that is your current firmware or newer.

i have flashed the htcdev unlock hboot and flashed back to the .92 hboot several times with s-off.

i would pretty strongly recomend that you do NOT htcdev unlock unless you are s-off first.

as sdraw said,i *think* it will be possible to follow the guide and downgrade back to rootable froyo,but im not 100% sure. it is quite feasible that this hboot will perform checks that prevent us from doing so,and you could be stuck with it forever. a similar situation happend with the evo 3d,and they still have not figured out a way to downgrade. :(

Reactions: speedster63
Upvote 0
I used htcdev to unlock my Inc2 - only to find that I would have to flash the boot.img for every custom rom I wanted to flash. I tried to downgrade the bootloader AFTER unlocking it, and while everything appeared to be fine, I got an error right at the very end.

In order to get back to the original state of the phone, do you think I'm going to have to run the RUU before I re-lock the bootloader?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it will let you run an ruu until you relock it. If you do that,and it works,let us know. :)

As you've found out,recovey cannot write to the boot partition. The EVO 3d guys have found that softbooting the recovery from fastboot works to flash kernels and roms with different kernels in the conventioneal manner

Upvote 0
hi i have a htc evo 3d i'm italian and i bought it used

i found it unlock so i put a custom rom mikrunny now i would put another rom but i have to change radio

i put pg86.zip in sdcart hboot found it but doesn't do nothing

someone explained me that's because i have unlocked with htc-dev

now with htc super tool i did relock bootloader but than it tells me ***security warning*** and i cannot do anithing so always with supertool (by htc dev) i have re unlocked it

i have downloaded this ruu

RUU_Shooter_U_HTC_Europe_1.20.401.8_Radio_10.59.9020.00_10.15.9020.06_M_release_219793_signed.exe

but doesn't work..

should i try to relock bootloader and then start the ruu??

thanks

sorry for my bad english

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones