• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to return to pure V4 or V6 Verizon stock with only CWM recovery

So i did the restore and got the v4 files when i downloaded the v6. had the m5 errors too but the posts here helped me clear that up. I tried to use the ota, vzw and lg tools and ended up with all the same error " your phone is up to date" or "cannot be updated by this tool" so i'm trying to locate the tool that neph was mentioned to have posted or the method to push .cab files to the phone from the computer. any replies with links would be appreciated! and thanks for all your hard work on this! neph and all of you!

Upvote 0
So i did the restore and got the v4 files when i downloaded the v6. had the m5 errors too but the posts here helped me clear that up. I tried to use the ota, vzw and lg tools and ended up with all the same error " your phone is up to date" or "cannot be updated by this tool" so i'm trying to locate the tool that neph was mentioned to have posted or the method to push .cab files to the phone from the computer. any replies with links would be appreciated! and thanks for all your hard work on this! neph and all of you!
Here ya go, make sure you follow the instructions exactly or it won't work.
Flashing LG signed Firmware - LG Spectrum - RootzWiki

Upvote 0
A couple of things, did you return to stock recovery as well? If you still have CWM, it's gonna fail. Two, there has been a lot of trouble with OTA for this update. Three, v4 should still let u update to V6 then to V6B then to V7. If you can't do that, I have a thread in the main part of the forum that has a tool neph made to push the update to your device, use that and it'll get you there no matter what, just be sure to follow instructions exactly.
http://http://androidforums.com/lg-spectrum/638673-root-return-stock-tool-pushing-v7-your-phone.html

Upvote 0
This may be stupid but would this (as far as you know) have any luck with the LG Lucid?
ICS is good & all but I am more accustomed to GB & I also want to check out the Broken Out Connect ROM as I read it was the only custom ROM that will work on the Lucid.
Just a few problems though:
1st) My Lucid (I don't know about yours, for those who actually have one) did not come with an SDcard so at the time of getting & rooting it (on 2.3.6), I could not try the ROM, by the time I got an SD (yesterday) it was already updated.
2nd) I can't get CWM on 4.0.4 (as far as I know, I've tried) rooted or not.
Or would anyone who has tried this ROM on the Lucid have reasons as to why it may not be worth it?
I just figured if they're enough alike to have the same custom ROM then maybe this would work as well.

Upvote 0
This may be stupid but would this (as far as you know) have any luck with the LG Lucid?
ICS is good & all but I am more accustomed to GB & I also want to check out the Broken Out Connect ROM as I read it was the only custom ROM that will work on the Lucid.
1st) My Lucid (I don't know about yours, for those who actually have one) did not come with an SDcard so at the time of getting & rooting it (on 2.3.6), I could not try the ROM, by the time I got an SD (yesterday) it was already updated.
Or would anyone who has tried this ROM on the Lucid have reasons as to why it may not be worth it?
I just figured if they're enough alike to have the same custom ROM then maybe this would work as well.
I don't think this method would work because this basically flashes a nandroid backup of the stock lg rom for the spectrum, I don't think they are similar enough that the stock rom for them would be the same, of course I could be wrong. You should pm one of the devs before you try anything though.

Upvote 0
Never cross device ROMs or Nandroid backups. Similar hardware does not mean the same. The Nitro and Spectrum are similar hardware, but different partition layouts. You have been warned. Also, doesn't the lucid already have a forum on here?

Upvote 0
Hey Neph81,

Not sure if you are still watching this topic or not, but just in case, do you know if anyone has gotten the stock recovery/nandroid for v7 yet?

I'd love to get a hold of some links for those (backed my stock/rooted OTA up, but somehow the backup became corrupted). On the off-chance this phone ever sees another update from LG it might be handy to have those, right?

If you or someone else could post those or add them to the OP, I would *greatly* appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Hey Neph81,

Not sure if you are still watching this topic or not, but just in case, do you know if anyone has gotten the stock recovery/nandroid for v7 yet?

I'd love to get a hold of some links for those (backed my stock/rooted OTA up, but somehow the backup became corrupted). On the off-chance this phone ever sees another update from LG it might be handy to have those, right?

If you or someone else could post those or add them to the OP, I would *greatly* appreciate it!

It won't happen. The stock ICS rom will not boot without a locked boot loader and I have no intention of writing a boot loader re-lock tool when the .cab method is available. If your nandroid is corrupt, I suggest grabbing one of the ICS rom available here. If you're looking to go back to pure ICS with bluetooth, then your only option right now is the .cab method.

Reactions: PhoenixPath
Upvote 0
It won't happen. The stock ICS rom will not boot without a locked boot loader and I have no intention of writing a boot loader re-lock tool when the .cab method is available. If your nandroid is corrupt, I suggest grabbing one of the ICS rom available here. If you're looking to go back to pure ICS with bluetooth, then your only option right now is the .cab method.

Did the cab already. Was just wondering. Thanks for the reply. :)

Upvote 0
If anybody has wisdom, I did a root today with my Spectrum on my Mac, but it didn't really work. I tried to update the software, but that failed. I looked at some of the tutorials out there for unrooting, because it must have done at least a poor job of rooting if I can't install the latest update, but it is really convoluted and crazy because none of them agree. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
If anybody has wisdom, I did a root today with my Spectrum on my Mac, but it didn't really work. I tried to update the software, but that failed. I looked at some of the tutorials out there for unrooting, because it must have done at least a poor job of rooting if I can't install the latest update, but it is really convoluted and crazy because none of them agree. Any ideas?

What "latest update" is failing?

Edit: If you are referring to the ICS update, go here - http://androidforums.com/spectrum-a...pdate-trust-me-your-answer-probably-here.html
You will find your answer there.

Upvote 0
What "latest update" is failing?

Edit: If you are referring to the ICS update, go here - http://androidforums.com/spectrum-a...pdate-trust-me-your-answer-probably-here.html
You will find your answer there.

According to my phone, I have 2.3.6

Phone is brand new, basically. I rooted it on my Mac. Then, I noticed that I had a message to update, and I did but the update failed multiple times. I have no problem with just wiping and starting over, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to brick my phone in the process. According to your link, it sounds like I can just factory reset and keep on trucking?

Upvote 0
Whoa, whoa, whoa, what knocked out my my bluetooth exactly? Running stock ICS, rooted, just flashed the unofficial CWM touch recovery. Never use a headset, didn't notice my bluetooth wasn't working till I tried to transfer a file from my Spec to the Nex7 I just got for xmas. A little help, please? Thanks!

The ICS update came with a locked boot loader. In order to circumvent that, a kernel with broken Bluetooth was used. Its all over the place, just look. CM10 or AOKP41 both have working Bluetooth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones