• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How To] Root 2.3.4/downgrade and Get S-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iowa did you extract he reflash package on your PC? I don't remember if there's an image there or not. Im at work So i can't look till later. :(

I didn't realize at first that you need 7zip to extract the files from the exe, so I just ran it. I did get errors in the recovery area, pulled the battery, and now I have root.

Not sure if the errors were because I didn't extract first...

Upvote 0
i joined the forums for this thread alone, thank you guys so much for trying to root this, I have been so frustrated not having a rooted phone

problem though - the link for unrevoked 3.22 is not a package, its an exe file, and on windows is installing vGrabber for some odd reason. do you guys have the slcd-friendly 3.22 package by chance?

I'll gladly be another guinea pig for this, id rather my phone be bricked than unrooted lol

Upvote 0
i joined the forums for this thread alone, thank you guys so much for trying to root this, I have been so frustrated not having a rooted phone

problem though - the link for unrevoked 3.22 is not a package, its an exe file, and on windows is installing vGrabber for some odd reason. do you guys have the slcd-friendly 3.22 package by chance?

I'll gladly be another guinea pig for this, id rather my phone be bricked than unrooted lol

You need 7zip to extract the files. Not that that will help you with the s-lcd issue...

Reactions: noobROOTer
Upvote 0
I was just going off memory about the recovery img file... I could very well be mistaken, anyone confirm that there is one yet? I definitely remember the option to choose a different recovery before running the reflash package.

I thought I remembered it too after you said it. But I recall running the Unrevoked .exe and then it auto-extracted some files to the desktop. The one you then ran was the reflash utitlity. That's the way it was when I used it waaay back when, and I think there was in fact a recovery.img file in that group of extracted files. Anyway, I haven't hooked up and tried it but I was unable to find it using 7zip. That's what I had been trying earlier this morning with no luck.

Also, it's remotely possilbe that a different recovery.img could make this not work. After all, this has failed with othe versions of Unrevoked and I'm STILL not sure why it's working with this particular version. At any rate, it's still an excellent idea to try another recovery image file if we can figure out how to get to it. It would help the SLCD crowd to avoid that circumstance. If you do have an SLCD though, and you get SU, you can always reflash recovery in Rom Manager which is a pretty easy task in and of itself.

Upvote 0
If you do have an SLCD though, and you get SU, you can always reflash recovery in Rom Manager which is a pretty easy task in and of itself.

This is me... I installed ROM Manager and did Flash ClockworkMod Recovery from with the UI. Then I chose Reboot into Recovery. From there I chose Backup/Restore. I got the black screen and pulled my battery.

Is there a step that I am missing?

Upvote 0
Sometimes it takes mutliple flashes from within Rom Manager for it to "take". If that still fails, we may be looking at something else that's a byproduct of the procedure. What version of CWM does it say you have when reflashing in Rom Manager? It should list it there.

In the ROM Manager UI it says "Current Recovery RA_GNM Recovery v3.02"

When I boot into recovery, it says "ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.5"

I just flashed it for a second time. Same result.

Upvote 0

The current version of cwm that you can flash via Rom manager is 5.0.2.0. If you aren't getting that, its not reflashing right. I would add that it sometimes takes many attempts. I've heard people say greater than 5 tries on somewhat regular occasion. Keep trying. Meanwhile, I will be thinking of a good workaround.

Upvote 0

Check the option in rom manager to erase recovery before flashing, then flash it again four or five times.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Hey guys. I'll do give my dues first as it is my first time on this forum and I'd like to be respectful, so thanks to scotty85 and anyone else involved with this process!!

If anyone could assist. I was able to successfully root my phone and I'm attempting S-off. I'm stuck at the command adb push mtd0.img /sdcard/ and getting a permission denied error. Note: everything else is successful up until this point. Can I skip this step for a second and use adb shell to get the root prompt and then give permission or is there a way to give permissions to write to the sdcard without doing that? I was thinking about changing to that directory via command prompt and manually giving permission or maybe doing it through the phone itself while plugged in. Not quite sure.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Hey guys. I'll do give my dues first as it is my first time on this forum and I'd like to be respectful, so thanks to scotty85 and anyone else involved with this process!!

If anyone could assist. I was able to successfully root my phone and I'm attempting S-off. I'm stuck at the command adb push mtd0.img /sdcard/ and getting a permission denied error. Note: everything else is successful up until this point. Can I skip this step for a second and use adb shell to get the root prompt and then give permission or is there a way to give permissions to write to the sdcard without doing that? I was thinking about changing to that directory via command prompt and manually giving permission or maybe doing it through the phone itself while plugged in. Not quite sure.

Thanks,

Almost sounds like your SD card isn't being recognized.

Reactions: egfromnj
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones