• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [HOW TO] Root Your Incredible, Whatever It's Status

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY GOT 2.2, BUT ARE NOT ROOTED, START HERE:

1. Go to public:unrevoked3 [RootWiki] and get the new root tool for 2.2.

Does finished mean rooted? Do I do this directly from the phone?
The "one-click" tool from unrEVOked is currently down (should be revised and ready to go soon they say).

Right now you'd have to downgrade to 2.1, then run the older version of the tool.

Upvote 0
I just used the unrevoked beta tool (from #unrevokedtest) last night... honestly I can't believe I was this concerned about it. Once you have the drivers installed, it's literally plug the phone in (charge only, USB Debugging enabled) and click "OK" on the unrevoked tool and wait for it to finish.

Thanks for the information here in this thread!

Upvote 0
When your instructions say "install" or "download and install" or "apply", do they all mean the same thing? For example, step #5, "install stock". This will wipe the phone. Do you mean simply place the file on the SD card in addition to what will be added in step #6 and then reboot to install 2.2? Should "8e5ad8d6ea2d.OTA_IncredibleC_Verizon_WWE_3.21.605.1_1.22.605.2_release_sign.zip" be renamed to update.zip?

Upvote 0
When your instructions say "install" or "download and install" or "apply", do they all mean the same thing? For example, step #5, "install stock". This will wipe the phone. Do you mean simply place the file on the SD card in addition to what will be added in step #6 and then reboot to install 2.2? Should "8e5ad8d6ea2d.OTA_IncredibleC_Verizon_WWE_3.21.605.1_1.22.605.2_release_sign.zip" be renamed to update.zip?

Each one is different, if you need specific help ask about a specific file.

Upvote 0
It's third party, google it.
Wow. I saw this post out of context (just yours and "Do you have a link to patience?") and just did a Google search for "patience droid app." Today was a longer day at work than I thought it was, I suppose!

In other news, dsb9938, thank you so much for the guide! I followed it to the letter last night and it was successful. :) Spent a little bit of time basking in the glory of the Superuser icon before removing all the pointless bloatware. I'm not sure if it's just psychosomatic or not, but I think that I'm getting better battery life and smoother scrolling among other things without so much crap running in the background.

I'm still weighing the pros and cons of the different ROMs to see if I want to go ahead and flash one of them or if I just want to stick with the stock HTC Sense for the time being.

There is a quick question, though, that I have about flashing a custom ROM. I currently swear by MyBackupPro as my backup app of choice; if I were to install a custom ROM on my DInc, then install MyBackupPro and load a backup of my data (messages, phone logs, etc) taken before the new ROM, would it work? Is there an app that would be better suited for this task? (if it can even be done) Or should I ask this in one of the ROM topics? haha

Edit: Answered my own question because I really wanted to hurry up and see what SkyRaider is like. I'm digging it so far, but it seems to be making my phone run pretty hot. That might just be, though, because I'm using it a lot setting everything back up. haha we'll see, though!

Upvote 0
IF YOU HAVE ALREADY GOT 2.2, BUT ARE NOT ROOTED, START HERE:

1. Go to public:unrevoked3 [RootWiki] and get the new root tool for 2.2.

AFTER THIS YOU ARE FINISHED.

Hi everyone, I'm currently on an Eris but am thinking of buying an Inc because they're much cheaper now. Quick question, with the method I've quoted above can you D/L it directly from the Inc's browser and install it that way or do you have to D/L it from your computer? Also, I rooted using the 1 Click Root for my Eris and was wondering if there is something like that or similiar for the Inc? Thanks in advance. Hopefully I'll be seeing you all soon :)

Upvote 0
I would greatly appreciate any help!

Two days ago my phone was having problems updating themes. I was rooted with
Clockwork 2.5.05 for the longest time but when the update for 2.5.1 was pushed I didn't think twice and I updated. Now I couldn't restore or flash because recovery would hang at MD5 Sums. After two days of nonstop attempts and fails I decided I would just backup everything on my computer and unroot, then reroot fresh.

So I unrooted my phone and thought everything would be fine. Nope, my phone was reset back to 2.1update1. Now Unrevoked wasn't working when I tried to root.
Now I found this page
[HOW TO] Root Your Incredible, Whatever It's Status - Android Forums
and followed and did step 2. That installed succesfully, but now I couldn't find a working to the May update. Luckily I found a link on the forums here and was able to install.

This may be where I went wrong but I accidentally flashed step 5 before step 4. But either way both step 4 and 5 installed without a hitch.
Now step 6 wouldn't work. It would error out at Update 7 or something along those lines.

Now I'm stuck with a phone with the Unrevoked splash screen(I like it, I just can't take it in to a verizon store and get a new phone under warranty because clearly I was messing with it), I think 2.2, and I can't put it into USB mode though my computer recognizes it under Device Manager. It hangs whenever I try to pull down the status bar.
On top of that I can't access any wireless network, both wifi and verizons, and
i can't get passed the activation screen because of that.
Reseting from the bootloader doesn't fix it, factory reseting from recovery doesn't fix it(Verizons built in recovery, step 5 uninstalled clockwork).

I am very lost:(

Upvote 0
I think I unwillingly traded one of my nine lives to the devil.
My phone, has been fixed.

By a complete blunder, or at least I think so, my phone has been corrected.
I got tired of the constant reboots and "System crashes" that would ail me before I even got to the Phone Activation screen I thought I would try and activate it even though I had a X where the reception bars are.
To my absolute astonishment after a minute or two pause my phone is dialed through and begins the *228 update!(Later today at work my friend suggested that the 228 number works like an emergency number and dials on whatever network is available.)
My phone reboots and I have access to the home screen! I still can't pull down the status bar and have X bars but this is better than nothing! Feeling headstrong I open up Revoked and try rooting:D
It works!...sort of:rolleyes:
It goes through the full process and when I get to the home screen I'm on a stock 2.2 device! Oddly no root however:thinking:
I boot to clockwork and install su-2.3.4-ef and payload-update.

And now it works somehow! S-on is back as well. I just got back from work and have successfully rooted! I really hope this is a Karma cash in;)

Upvote 0
ok ive read over this thing like 3 times and well heres what ive got....rooted 2.1-update 1...so i did the last set of instuctions. did the revoked-forever with no problem so now i am at S-off. then i goto the next step and the link isnt working, scrol down and fine the other one someone posted, changed the name to update and loaded into hboot. pressed apply sdcard update.zip and it starts to load then aborts because of errors blah blah status 7. then i took someones advice and copied all my stuff to desktop and formated to FAT32 then put everything back on including the update.zip. tried it that time and got the same result. so tried to reboot, now it just keeps on repeating the HTC brilliant and then to the verizon anamation over and over...so i kinda freaked and figured i could just restore my nandroid and thats where im at now, waiting for it to finish....any sugguestions?

Upvote 0
Hi, I am a new user of this forum and also new to the incredible. I have windows xp and also windows 7. I have never down loaded software disk for the incredible. I have tried to do the unrevoked but when I plug my phone in with the usb nothing happens. The scean said to enable usb to debugging I did that and still nothing. I am not sure what to do next. Thank you in advance for any seggestions....Jason

Upvote 0
hello, i am having a problem, i just went and picked up my replacement dinc that has official 2.2, and came home to root it. i downloaded the drivers and downloaded the evo root package. i went thru the steps of installing the new drivers and went thru the rooting process, and the phone has SU and in hboot says it is s off, but when i go into recovery screen goes black then comes on with incredible logo, then goes black with a white bar on sides and bottom of screen with no words or anything, everything seemed to go fine wit hrooting process and everything seems right, except this. anyone have any ideas?

Upvote 0
hello, i am having a problem, i just went and picked up my replacement dinc that has official 2.2, and came home to root it. i downloaded the drivers and downloaded the evo root package. i went thru the steps of installing the new drivers and went thru the rooting process, and the phone has SU and in hboot says it is s off, but when i go into recovery screen goes black then comes on with incredible logo, then goes black with a white bar on sides and bottom of screen with no words or anything, everything seemed to go fine wit hbooting process and everything seems right, except this. anyone have any ideas?

found a link to fix this issue and just fixed mine maby it will help anyone else that may incur this problem

flash file from root of sd card hit yes when asked to update. make sure file is PB31IMG only
http://adrynalyne.us/files/recovery/...MG_cwm_mod.zip

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones