• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to stop Avast for sending false notifications

tcfulmer

Nov 29, 2010
Had to "reprogram" my EVO 4G LTE last week at Sprint's direction. Phone was having issues and I believe the reprogram was just a reactivation. Did it the first time and it didn't work. Did it again later that day and everything seemed to be fixed. Both times were with a Sprint rep on chat.

Avast picked up that something had changed and assumed the phone was stolen. Both my wife and I started getting messages about phone location a couple times a day. I logged in to my Avast account via PC and per the instructions there marked the phone as found. The problem is that the messages are still coming and I can't figure out how to make them stop. They are really bugging my wife because they come through at text messages at all times of day. I'm looking to how to stop the messages without killing the service.

If you can't locate the proper settings in Avast then just uninstall the anti-theft module using the uninstall wizard located in the settings of Avast mobile security.

Launch Avast Mobile security, or reinstall Avast Mobile security if it is missing.

Click the | upper right hand corner and select settings.

Bottom of the list select the Avast anti theft removal wizard and follow the directions.

Once removed you can then reinstall the anti theft module and it should reset itself to your current device configuration and IDs.

If you are prompted for a pin and you don't know/forgot it, one of two things need to happen and they both involve losing all your data so make backups -

1. If the device is not rooted and Avast was installed as a regular app you will need to hard/factory reset the device. This will delete Avast completely and its pin protection.

2. If the device was rooted and Avast's anti theft module was installed as root, you will need to perform a complete system wipe and re-flash a factory image in order to remove Avast Mobile Security as it is rather impossible to remove otherwise and will come back with resets.

Its a great piece of software and very robust when properly installed and pin protected, just be sure you don't forget your pin.

Upvote 0
It looks like I figured it out. At least I didn't get another location notification this morning. When sprint "reprogrammed" my phone, they changed the internal sim card number which is what made Avast think the phone was stolen. So in Avast/Anti-theft/System State/Trusted Sim on my phone, I did the option to delete the existing trusted sim list and use the current sim as the trusted one. Seems to have done the trick.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones