• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to stop Play Store from updating itself in Android 5.1

Akis1919

Lurker
Dec 30, 2022
Hello, Android forums. I have a very towering question I need to stop the Play Store from updating itself, not its apps. I need to do this because of towering size constraints on my phone. Then your Play Store versions, or way too big, and need a way to stop them from updating themselves. The old versions work fine and I. And I don't know why it updates itself. I do not. I do not need a solution on how to stop updating the apps. I need a solution. I have to stop the Play Store from actually updating itself. Because the new Play Store versions are way too big. I am also using a ZTE blade A452 (And no, I cannot root my phone I have tried and I cannot There are too many risks)

From memory the Play Store is updated by Google Play Services. If so then logically disabling Play Services would prevent it from updating. However there are a lot of things which depend on Play Services, so disabling it is likely to have other consequences, e.g. certain apps may lose some functions or start using more power. Whether it causes problems for you will depend on what apps or functions you use. But on the other hand disabling can be undone, so if that does cause you problems you should be able to reverse it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones