• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to switch audio between dock audio and bluetooth?

JeffDerek

Lurker
Nov 9, 2012
I have a Galaxy Nexus on Sprint running Android 4.2.1. I use an LG Tone bluetooth headset when walking around during the day, and I have the Nexus car dock with the Pogo Pins for connecting the charger and audio out to my car's aux in.

If my bluetooth headset is off, and I put the phone in the dock, all media audio from all sources goes out of the car dock output and into my car's aux in, and everything is fine. Similarly, if the phone is not in the dock, and bluetooth is on, all media sources go to the bluetooth and everything is fine. Unfortunately, if the phone is in the dock and bluetooth is connected, everything still goes to the bluetooth. This is bad because I want the bluetooth connected for calls in case the phone rings, so I don't want to turn it off, but I want the media audio to go to my car speakers.

In the past, no matter what app was playing media (I use an audiobook app and a podcast app in addition to google play music), I would go to google play music and there was a button to switch between the dock speakers and the bluetooth speakers. It was cumbersome and a pain, and I kept meaning to find a way to make it happen automatically, but at least it worked. However, Play Music just updated and now I don't seem to have that button anymore. Now if the bluetooth headphones are connected and the phone is in the dock, the audio comes out of the headphones only, and I can't find any way to change that.

My ultimate question is this

1) Can I change the priority so that the car dock is a higher priority than bluetooth for media? I still want the bluetooth to be the highest priority for calls.

2) If not, can I at least get back the audio output switching functionality that used to exist in Google Play Music?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones