• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to unlock the Nexus 10's bootloader

I had this exact issue, and flashing the factory image through fastboot didn't help, only a factory reset through recovery worked.

(Hold all 3 buttons to get to bootloader, then use volume keys to get to recovery mode, power button to select. When you see android on his back hold power button and tap columns button briefly to get the recovery menu up - a few people, myself included, had trouble getting this to work first time!)

Did you get yours unlocked in the end? Nervous about trying again until there's more in stock in case anything goes wrong again...

Anyone else have this problem? I've had many Nexus devices and never run into this problem before...

Yep mine is knocked and functioning. Had to use the last link I posted to write and flash factory

Upvote 0
I couldn't wait any longer. :D Rooted and running TWRP now. TWRP works great, it just hasn't been optimized to fit on this tablet yet.

Rooted mine earlier today. I had trouble booting after I unlocked it, kept sticking on the Google screen. I could boot back into the bootloader mode, but not recovery. Flashed a fresh image and everything was smooth sailing from there. Would like to see a optimized version of TWRP for this tablet.

Upvote 0
Where do we find the developer options?:thinking:

Goto Settings > About Tablet and tap on the "Build Number JOP40C" Seven times. After the first three times it will give you a message that you are "X" number of tabs away from becoming a Developer and then after the seventh time they will appear on the left menu.

Reactions: chiph411 and Atma
Upvote 0
I haven't rooted mine yet. I was waiting on WugFresh to update his Nexus Root Toolkit. You would need to install a recovery first and then flash SU.

Here is a thread explaining and another with a video.

Why do we need to install a recovery first before the SU? Reading about about this "recovery" stuff and I"m missing some fundamentals. It doesnt sound nearly the same as when I rooted my Motorola Bionic. Just needed to install some zip file while in some other mode (dont recall the specifics anymore).

Upvote 0
I don't think you have to with the toolkits. They will push SU to the correct place and you can keep the stock recovery if you want it. You can also use a temp recovery without installing it permanently.

Cool thanks. I'm reading up on Wufresh. I see the button to root, and the addition checkbox for custom recovery. So I think thats what you are talking about.

what is a temp recovery?

do you have a sense about how OTA will work once unlocked? once rooted? how it works with/without custom recovery? Have see some indications but nothing super clear.

Upvote 0
Cool thanks. I'm reading up on Wufresh. I see the button to root, and the addition checkbox for custom recovery. So I think thats what you are talking about.

what is a temp recovery?

do you have a sense about how OTA will work once unlocked? once rooted? how it works with/without custom recovery? Have see some indications but nothing super clear.

I haven't used WugFresh's toolkit much. For some reason I can't get fastboot to work with it. I used the other toolkit. Its pretty easy.

The temp CWM recovery, I really not sure how they do it. Its some kind of virtual recovery. I flashed the permanent TWRP recovery. OTA will work if you're unlocked. If you're rooted, I think it just unroots you. I did the OTA's before I rooted so I'm not 100% sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones