• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to update a custom ROM?

Hook

Ever since DU... ;-)
Mar 17, 2010
Northern VA, USA
Looked for this but didn't find anything on point. Sorry if I missed it. :eek:

How do I update a custom ROM? I have CM7 RC2. If I want RC3, do I have to flash it and if I do so, does it just update the ROM and leave my apps and data intact, or would I have to wipe before flashing?

Or is there an update method that I missed? Maybe ROM Manager (I use Amon RA recovery, by the way).

Any help I can get when the eyes stop rolling would be appreciated. ;)

Looked for this but didn't find anything on point. Sorry if I missed it. :eek:

How do I update a custom ROM? I have CM7 RC2. If I want RC3, do I have to flash it and if I do so, does it just update the ROM and leave my apps and data intact, or would I have to wipe before flashing?

Or is there an update method that I missed? Maybe ROM Manager (I use Amon RA recovery, by the way).

Any help I can get when the eyes stop rolling would be appreciated. ;)

99% of the time when upgrading CM to CM you do NOT need to wipe the device. Still the 1% means you should make a backup of your current ROM which includes all your programs and system state in case you have a problem.

Once your backup is complete flash the new ROM over old via RA or CWM following it's instructions.

Reactions: Hook
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones