• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to Update the Moment (instructions)

ok, let me see if my newbie powers serve me correctly.

basically, this is damn near the same exact update of the official cl14 update. so if we upgrade to this, pretty much we save the hassle of going to sprint.

not only that, but we still have rooting privileges

not only that, but we still can flash to other roms in the future as you genius creates them

not only that, but we can still can flash back to the original at any time

not only that, but now we run a less of a chance of bricking our phone because in 'THEORY" since most have tried this method, there is over a 95% success rate (i havent seen or read of anyone actually bricking their phones)

but in the event that we do brick our phone, we could always blame some download from MARKET like pandahome or whatever that app is that isnt compatible with 1.5 cupcake?

so basically, we just need to find legitimate apps to blame for bricking our phone if we unsuccessfully flash and brick it our self???

so whats the other CON for this procedure???? it appears that this is a GREEN LIGHT to me!!!

Upvote 0
I'm having trouble installing the samsung drivers. I've unzipped them and everything but can't assign them to enable my computer to recognize my phone? help please!

edit: nm got it working. phone is now updated!

I just have a question though. It still says 1.5...isn't there currently an update for 2.0? please correct me if im wrong

Upvote 0
I'm having trouble installing the samsung drivers. I've unzipped them and everything but can't assign them to enable my computer to recognize my phone? help please!

edit: nm got it working. phone is now updated!

I just have a question though. It still says 1.5...isn't there currently an update for 2.0? please correct me if im wrong

No there is no update to 2.0 for our phones right now. We are going to see 2.1 sometime, but no one knows when it's going to be here.

Upvote 0
Which is the correct choice:

SPH-M900_ZE09.2_KERN.tar
or
SPH-M900_ZE09.2-patchoob_KERN.tar
?
:thinking:
There is a great explanation in this thread by Zefie explaining the difference between the versions and which to use.
To summarize, if the "official" sprint update has ever been installed on your phone, or if you have ever loaded the CL14 SBL, patchoob will have to be used forever more!

Upvote 0
There is a great explanation in this thread by Zefie explaining the difference between the versions and which to use.
To summarize, if the "official" sprint update has ever been installed on your phone, or if you have ever loaded the CL14 SBL, patchoob will have to be used forever more!
Thanks. I flashed to SPH-M900_ZE09.2_KERN.tar.

Nascar and NFL and Bejewelled are gone - yay! Phone is responding noticeably faster and it looks like battery life has improved - time will tell. So far, great.

Thanks Zefie! :D

Upvote 0
Thanks. I flashed to SPH-M900_ZE09.2_KERN.tar.

Nascar and NFL and Bejewelled are gone - yay! Phone is responding noticeably faster and it looks like battery life has improved - time will tell. So far, great.

Thanks Zefie! :D
glad to hear! im also on Ze9.2 and its great with cl14 system and cl14 modem. you might have already seen this, if you are interested in removing more of the stock apps than just nascar, nfl and bejewelled, there is a thread here with directions.

Upvote 0
Ok I'm curious.. is Odin supposed to say SUCCESS, or PASS?

I just did the initial update (haven't done CDMA yet) and it says PASS.. is this correct?

Thanks.

** edit **

I guess pass = success. Update shows on my phone and my wifes.. thanks for the detailed walk through.. I tried to have this done at Sprint and told me it takes 1.5 to 2 hours.. then they informed me their computer they use for it fried that morning. So to have it done I would have to drive 30 miles to the next closest tech location.. no thanks!

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
HHHHHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!!!!! lol

About a month ago, when I thought I had the balls to do this, I went to zeffie's page and downloaded all the tools that I needed. But I never attempted to actually flash my phone, I chickened out!!!

Back then, when I would connect my phone to my pc (W7), my computer recognized it and I could add/delete items from my sdcard.

Now that I have the balls to do this now, for some odd reason, my phone does not allow me to mount sdcard, so i cant see the storage card on my computer. But my computer partially recognized that it is plugged in, neither do I have any yellow signs by the drivers. So it appears the drivers are good, but the computer is not showing the phone being plugged in. And yes, it still charges my phone.

So now Im stuck, (and my newbie powers are tellin me that be a WARNING SIGN) lol

Upvote 0
Right after I hit start I get a fail message and this:

<1> Engine RUN!!!
<1> setup connection...
<1> odin mode.. check platform verification.
<1> START!!!
<1> odin mode.. do file mapping..
<1> e - unknown file - "recovery.rfs"
<1> check download environment.

did your phone come with CL14 already on it or did you load the CL14 full update?
if the CL14 SBL has ever been loaded on the phone, came stock or manually loaded, the patchoob version (item #3 in the linked thread) of Zefie's kernel must be used.

explanation of moment and flash file structure with SBL

Upvote 0
Qustion of the day (for me anyway). I've flashed the Zefie kernel, will this affect the 2.x update when it comes along? will we have to use a Zefie or will the sprint update work?
It all depends on how the 2.x update is implemented! it shouldnt be an issue though given the last update, CL14, Zefie had working before Sprint "officially" released it.

Worst case scenario, you have to flash a stock rom back onto the phone and wipe out your data. im thinking updating to 2.x will almost guarantee the phone will have to be wiped anyway.

I'm sure you'll see plenty of posts about the 2.x update as we get closer to "1H2010"!

Upvote 0
It's been two days since I flashed the Zefie CL14 as well as the ZE09.2 kernel and I have to say I'm impressed with the overall performance of the phone however, I am not seeing the fantasmic battery performance increase that everyone else seems to be enjoying. I have everything turned off as far as GPS, wireless, sync etc., but I'm a bit disappointed with the battery. I guess I must have had unealistic expectations. That being said, good work to all who spend their time and patience to do this stuff for the benefit of the rest of us. I look forward to future developments.

Upvote 0
I'm stuck, right at the beginning. I'm a computer geek, and usually don't have issues with this kind of stuff.

I can't get my Windows XP or Windows 7 installs to get the drivers right, so I can't connect to the phone to get started. I've tried 3 different computers, with and without the Samsung drivers referenced, as well as tried after installing PC Studio (but not running it)...

What am I missing?

As for PC Studio, I installed it, restarted Windows, did not load PC studio OR Firefox, and connected my phone, and I get 'Device not recognized'.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones