• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to upgrade from Android 4.0 to later version on a generic tablet

lord lucan

Jun 9, 2010
Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place in the forum for me to ask this question but I wasn't sure where else would be more appropriate.

I have a generic 7" tablet which I bought 2nd hand from ebay and I want to know whether a) it is possible to upgrade from 4.0 and b) if so, are there are recommended pages I should read on here or any how-to type guides on this forum?

Any help would be appreciated.

The short answer is "probably not."

Upgrades and firmware must be compatible with a specific device. There is no generic installation of Android. There may be a possibility if it's a fairly popular device from a known manufacturer that there is some development going on for it and there might be an upgrade path, but it's highly unlikely. If you let us know the make and the model, we could tell tell you with a reasonable amount of certainty.

If it's truly an off-brand device, you might want to read http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/631594-off-brand-phones-tablets-worth-low-cost.html

Upvote 0
I have a Chinese Tablet, Chuwi V99, there are some reviews and posts on this tablet, but not much else. The tablet works, although it's always slowing down, and displaying error messages about several different running apps, stopped working, and would I like to close them? It's running 4.1.1. Is there anyone out there that has successfully rooted one of these tablets? Any help would be appreciated. The specs are 9.7 inch retina display, 2gigs of ram, 16gig hard drive, micro sd card slot, mini usb, mini hdmi, proprietary power plug 5V-2.5amp, It has both dedicated hard buttons of volume, back button, standard power button,.

Upvote 0
I have a Chinese Tablet, Chuwi V99 ... Is there anyone out there that has successfully rooted one of these tablets?

Hello and welcome to Android Forums, anjelm68. :)

You should give towelroot a try. It's a minimal risk rooting method and it has been successful on many off-brand devices. It will either work or it won't but there's not much chance of doing any harm to your tablet.

Reactions: anjelm68 and mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones