• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to use Gmail on a China-bought Anroid phone.

I work in China and I recently bought the Samsung Galaxy S Duos s7562. I first manually installed the Gmail app but it doesn't work. Gmail will not even load in the browser. Here's the steps I've taken:

Manually installed Gmail app on the phone, Gmail still doesn't work.

Rooted my phone, Gmail still doesn't work.

Installed MarketAccess and changed the location of my SIM, still doesn't work.

The only option I think I may have left is getting a VPN for my phone. I wouldn't mind doing that but I'm a little worried this is something permanent with my phone, so even when I return to the States and use a new VPN perhaps I still can't access Gmail?

Please let me know what you think, and I'd especially like to hear from anyone who's BOUGHT AN ANDROID IN CHINA and found a way to access Gmail on their phone. Specifially Gmail, I don't really care too much if Google Play works as I've found other ways to get the apps I want on my phone, I just really want to be able to check my Gmail on my phone.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones