• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How's Texting On The Phone?

The N1 soft keyboard is not as accurate as the iphone. I wonder if those of you saying that the N1 features plus speech-to-text is enough, have even used an iphone(keyboard) for longer than 3 minutes. I owned the original and 3g and my wife has the 3gs, and the ONLY thing I miss from them is the soft keyboard. The rest of the features and offerings that Android and N1 have suit me much better, but you can't say that what features they have trump the iphone's soft keyboard.

Upvote 0
...really? What phone are you guys using? My Nexus One's keyboard is pretty laggy in any application. I don't have anything running in the background, and yet it's very laggy. Pretty terrible compared to the iPhone I came from.

Really? I'm seeing what everyone else here is seeing, very snappy, i like the multiword prediction, makes finding what i'm looking for much easier, and holy freaking cow, the speech to text function is downright amazing. I'm getting addicted to it very quickly.

Upvote 0
Really? I'm seeing what everyone else here is seeing, very snappy, i like the multiword prediction, makes finding what i'm looking for much easier, and holy freaking cow, the speech to text function is downright amazing. I'm getting addicted to it very quickly.

Then what's wrong with my phone? The keyboard is laggy and very annoying. And I hate the multiword prediction. It seems to randomly correct. And as much as I like speech to text, the major problem I have with it is that it doesn't automatically capitalise I and it never puts apostrophes in. This means I have to scroll back and add them in, thus defeating the purpose of speech to text.

Upvote 0
Then what's wrong with my phone? The keyboard is laggy and very annoying. And I hate the multiword prediction. It seems to randomly correct.
From this post, something must be wrong with 1) the phone; 2) your usage of the phone. I do not have these problems with typing nor does my typing "randomly correct."

I still, however, prefer my iPhone's OSK.

Upvote 0
From this post, something must be wrong with 1) the phone; 2) your usage of the phone. I do not have these problems with typing nor does my typing "randomly correct."

I still, however, prefer my iPhone's OSK.

I've tried restarting the phone and resetting the factory settings. Something I also noticed is that when scrolling in the browser it's horribly laggy and jumpy and the keyboard seems to be the worst in that application.

Upvote 0
Then what's wrong with my phone? The keyboard is laggy and very annoying. And I hate the multiword prediction. It seems to randomly correct. And as much as I like speech to text, the major problem I have with it is that it doesn't automatically capitalise I and it never puts apostrophes in. This means I have to scroll back and add them in, thus defeating the purpose of speech to text.

You got me. I'll give you the punctuation gripe, that's annoying. But I'm coming from an iPhone 3G and I dig it so far.

Upvote 0
I've tried restarting the phone and resetting the factory settings. Something I also noticed is that when scrolling in the browser it's horribly laggy and jumpy and the keyboard seems to be the worst in that application.

I also don't seem to be having any of the problems you're having. It's possible that you got a defective phone, quite unfortunate.

On a side note, noticed your screenname. Where do you jump. Perris and Elsinore here :)

Blue Skies

Upvote 0
The N1 soft keyboard is not as accurate as the iphone. I wonder if those of you saying that the N1 features plus speech-to-text is enough, have even used an iphone(keyboard) for longer than 3 minutes. I owned the original and 3g and my wife has the 3gs, and the ONLY thing I miss from them is the soft keyboard. The rest of the features and offerings that Android and N1 have suit me much better, but you can't say that what features they have trump the iphone's soft keyboard.

Not only can I...but I did.
Unless theres some behind the scenes drastic difference between the 3g and last 2 ipod touches I think my experience with Apples keyboards is good enough to spot the differences.

On the G1 I would throw it across the street in my mind it was just unusable.
On the Nexus one I havent experienced any lag in portrait or landscape.
USER DICTIONARY Im not sure if the Android does it by default but better keyboard prioritizes words in the dictionary. The auto-correct with this is much better than Iphone.
Yoo
Wassup
Bro
ManMythLegend
GTG
LOL
GTFO
Typing those or any acronyms or slang words is painstaking on an Iphone. I just plug them into user dictionary and there they are soon as I half look down and smash my XL hands onto the screen.

You add in Swype or talk to text it gives me a ridiculous array of options to input data so that any situation is covered.
In a car , on a bus in public , one handed , at home while websurfing , etc are all covered.

Upvote 0
You got me. I'll give you the punctuation gripe, that's annoying. But I'm coming from an iPhone 3G and I dig it so far.

Frankly speaking, due to its size, I found Nexus One is just as comfortable as my iPhone :) I am well trained in typing on an iPhone and Nexus One is very familiar. Hero's small screen estate is a clear downgrade but Nexus is very good!

Upvote 0
By the way, my keyboard's been getting weirder and weirder. Now the spacebar doesn't work sometimes unless I touch just above it. And one time when I way typing out a text, I kept trying to hit the 'P' key and it would hit the smiley icon. Same thing would happen with the backspace key. So trying to erase something would just produce more smilies.

Also, I have to press above the row of soft keys, not on, for them to actually register, so when I'm typing on the bottom row of keys sometimes the keyboard will hide due to me trying to press the '?123' button and it registering as a back press, or trying to hit the backspace key and search coming up, or hitting the home button.

Also, not having a multitouch keyboard really kills me.

Why is this happening?

Upvote 0
By the way, my keyboard's been getting weirder and weirder. Now the spacebar doesn't work sometimes unless I touch just above it. And one time when I way typing out a text, I kept trying to hit the 'P' key and it would hit the smiley icon. Same thing would happen with the backspace key. So trying to erase something would just produce more smilies.

Also, I have to press above the row of soft keys, not on, for them to actually register, so when I'm typing on the bottom row of keys sometimes the keyboard will hide due to me trying to press the '?123' button and it registering as a back press, or trying to hit the backspace key and search coming up, or hitting the home button.

Why is this happening?

currently i feel really crippled typing on the n1 keyboard. i'm coming from an e71, where i could type things out of muscle memory. i hope my accuracy and speed will increase the longer i use the phone. right now i'm just making too many mistakes and typing feels like a chore.

i also have the problem of trying to hit the spacebar and i'll accidentally hit the home key instead. that is really frustrating.

Upvote 0

Why is this happening?

Ugh! It looks like a very hassled typing for me. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Ugh! It looks like a very hassled typing for me. :thinking:
THERE IS MULTITOUCH IN THE KEYBOARD. I tested it out and it is there. I dont know why noone else noticed it. I had my N1 sense jan 6 and i'm not having any problems. Can type just as fast as my ipod touch. Speech to text is also great for long message and very accurate(faster than a hardware keyboard)

Mabey the peolpe who are having problems downloaded a 3 party app the slowed the phone down?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones