• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HowTo - My Guide To Rooting and Romming (Beginner)

i used rom manager...no worries, i think i am just going to customize it myself and not use a theme. I am going to wait for my apps to come back (i hope they do) and then move on to overclocking the phone (if necessary, i'll see how it performs first.
thanks for the help and any advice you can throw my way

Upvote 0
Ok, I've been reading as much as I have time to about rooting, Liquid FroYo, themes, kernels, the like. I have pretty much tumbled all the way down the rabbit hole and am already itching to flash something else new and shiny on my phone, just because I can. :)
What suddenly has me worried is if I have been backing things up correctly? I keep reading about Nandroid backup. All the backups I've done have been through ROM Manager, either clicking on "Backup Current ROM" or selecting the option to backup after clicking "Install ROM from SD Card".
Is Nandroid backup something different?

Edit: Did a little Google searching and found the answer. Yes, a ROM Manager backup is the same as a Nandroid backup. Should have just searched it to begin with.

Upvote 0
Ok. Yet another update rolls out tomorrow. (FRG22D). For those of us newly rooted, what does that mean? Will we get the update notice? If so, what do we do? If we accept does that mean we lose root (I would assume so).

Edit: found a thread that suggests the 2.2 update failed for those rooted and they happily continued as before. Not sure if the same thing will happen with this next one. I would post the link but I'm not that skilled yet with the iPad. I expect about 1000 posts on this subject shortly... Someone will figure it out.

Upvote 0
I used easy root to root properly (great results), then put on the Liquid Frozen Yogurt ROM (great), but then I installed Smoke LFY after the ROM and now my phone is completely haywire. It boots (and has some of the SLFY UI stuff) but it basically isn't operational and there's a constant error message in garbled text saying that something or other has stopped responding.

I've done all the backing up, but when I boot into recovery, I can't see any of the ROM Manager options... how do I find my backup ROMs? (Also, I can fight through the error messages and access the ROM Manager app in a pretty limited way (for example, I can't flash a clockwork recovery because it says there's no internet connection.))

(Oh, also when I first get into ROM Manager it gives me a "recovery failure" dialog... so, if I can get recovery mode to work, then I can flip back to an old ROM?)

Thanks for any advice anybody has.

i have the exact same problem and i was hoping to find an answer but no luck HEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!

Upvote 0
Thanks for everyone's comments. I went back and edited the original post to include some clarifications. If you think I should add anything else please PM me and i'll edit the original post again. This thread is quickly ganing popularity.. so i'll try to keep it updated. I am sorry if I don't answer your particular question. Send me a PM if you have a specific question and i'll try to answer it.

Upvote 0
Ok. Yet another update rolls out tomorrow. (FRG22D). For those of us newly rooted, what does that mean? Will we get the update notice? If so, what do we do? If we accept does that mean we lose root (I would assume so).

Edit: found a thread that suggests the 2.2 update failed for those rooted and they happily continued as before. Not sure if the same thing will happen with this next one. I would post the link but I'm not that skilled yet with the iPad. I expect about 1000 posts on this subject shortly... Someone will figure it out.

If you never flashed a custom firmware and have the official Google firmware, I believe the OTA update will work and should not effect your root access -- I will find out for sure once the official FRG22D (Google signed) update.zip is available for us to review :)

Upvote 0
I am running Liquid Frozen Yogurt, which I understand is sort of a hybrid built up from FRG22 (not released), so I wonder if it will make my phone look like I already have the update and I won't get a notice... I'll keep checking back to see what people report and figure it out from there. This forum is such a huge help!

Upvote 0
I have installed new ROM and got it to a point I am happy with and now want to back it up...i keep trying with ROM manager, but i keep getting the yellow exclamation point on restart....do i keep trying or am i doing something wrong?

If you have the exclamation point on your rec screen, you're on stock recovery. Go to ROM manager and reflash Clockwork Recovery. You can then just backup through the nandroid option on the Clockwork recovery screen.

Reactions: Amrov
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones