• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HowTo - My Guide To Rooting and Romming (Beginner)

I'm wondering ten same thing. I'm really only in a hurry for the wifi tethering (for my iPad). Thanks for any help/guidance
''

I'll speak from experience -- yes, you can just root and leave your OS as-is (no custom ROMs) by doing steps 1 and 2 and then get wifi tethering from market. I did that before I ventured into a custom ROM (I use LFY 1.41, no themes). Make sure you reboot after rooting for it to take effect. Then go get a wifi tethering app (if you don't reboot first, your system may not show as rooted in market). When you download the tethering app, it will ask for "superuser" permission. You'll know you're successfully rooted then.

The wifi tethering works GREAT with the iPad. I use Barnacle. There is one note on Barnacle -- you have to go into "settings" and check "skip wpa_supplicant" for it to work with 2.2. Have to do this each time you want to connect. After you do that, the iPad should find you no problem. The first time I connected, the signal was weak for a few minutes, but then I got full wifi bars after that and subsequent times.

Happy surfing!

Reactions: JYo
Upvote 0
I used this method to successfully root FRG01B, and found that Clockwork Recovery kept getting overwritten by the stock recovery on every reboot. Then FGR22D OTA hit, so I figured I'd let it load. It installed without any errors, but killed root.

Easy Root now goes through the motions and says I'm rooted, but BusyBox etc. won't install. The phone works fine, so I guess I'll just wait for Easy Root to catch up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones