• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Confrimed - Cannot change/remove lock screen icons

germ.sws

Jun 18, 2011
cliff notes: you cant change the lock screen icons or remove them at all.

so it seems the biggest gripe i have with this phone, albeit, not a huge gripe.....

you cannot pick and choose which icons show up on your lock screen tray. it reflects what you have in your unlocked home screen tray.

so if you dont want any icons in your lock screen, then you have to remove them from your homescreen tray.

i have seen many videos of other HTC phones that you can personalize the lock screen, however, on the 816 you do not even have that subfolder for lock screen personalization.

i cannot even remember the last time that i wasnt able to customize the lock screen with whatever icons i wanted to show up or none at all (which is my preference). I guess LG is a little more flexible about this one than HTC.

to me, this is a big PITA that could warrant me to not keep this phone.

it has been confirmed per HTC online chat.

do keep in mind, i have no plans on rooting or running a customer rom, nor do i want to hear anyone saying i should, because you're wasting your time.

this isnt something i should have to hack my phone for or to install a launcher or separate lock screen app to do this.

this phone is limited in storage and i shouldnt have to load it up with this crap.

Upvote 0
yeah, this is one of like 4 small things that I don't like about this phone coming from a galaxy s3.

the others being the insane number of icons in the status bar, the default widget on the lock screen that can't be changed.

overall, I'm disappointed in Sense after hearing how great it is for years, but the phone is still excellent.

Upvote 0
OK, this isn't really for OP because he doesn't want to root but for anyone else that wants to use different apps on the lock screen...

Install the Xtended Settings module for Xposed. That will allow you to accomplish what OP wanted. Xtended Settings along with Sense6 Toolbox will allow you to change EVERY DAMNED THING on your Desire 816. And by everything I honestly mean it. I don't think I've found a color or setting that couldn't be changed.

Make sure you have a backup before you play around with things though because there is a lot and if you just play with it and test different things you might forget how to set it back.

Upvote 0
i think my point wasnt as obvious as i would have liked it to be.....

the point is, HTC included a custom launcher and locked it down. this phone doesnt have a whole bunch of storage space and is running an older CPU. my point is that i shouldnt have to download another launcher when HTC has already done it, and poorly at that.

Upvote 0
I have a Virgin Mobile Desire 816. The way I change the lock screen icons is by changing the stock launcher shortcuts. (The two app shortcuts you have next to the app drawer at the bottom) whatever those 4 are on the stock launcher, are what are on the lock screen for me. So I just have to switch from Nova Launcher to the stock launcher under:

Settings>Personalize>Home Screen

then just switch the 4 out I want, then switch back to Nova launcher under the previous location. This way I get the 4 launcher short cuts, and the 4 custom lock screen ones. If you don't want to use another launcher, then sadly they'll always be the same as your home screen. I agree with you that this is plain silly.

Hope this works for you.

Reactions: Rich S and EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones