• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire and iPhone 4

I had an iPhone 3G for over 2 years and agree, the iPhone is an amazing phone, really really good at what is does, well made and the apps and app store are the best anywhere.

Now I have a Desire. I got it because Android is really growing fast, because of the desires customizability, because of android and googles open approach and because it is less common than the iPhone has become.

Both Phones are amazing, and both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Upvote 0
Yes agreed, the Ferrari analogy works a little better with maybe a BMW or Audi, but let's not clutch at straws here, the point still stands.

Your point about the BMW approved roads and petrol is interesting. What if that petrol was just the same price as everything else and in some instances actually cheaper than other companies alternatives? What if BMW approved over 200,000 roads across the country, meaning that you can actually go (almost) anywhere you want? What if these BMW approved petrol pumps were on every street corner, filled you up in 10 seconds and allowed you to pay in a convenient manner? What if the petrol was better quality than other brands and the roads were all policed by BMW to make them safer? You would make a decision based on what you want from a car; if the places you want to go are all included in the 'approved road map' then the benefits the closed system offer are actually rather appealing.

Here's how one of these conversations might look...

"But BMW won't let you go to John O'Groats, don't buy a BMW!!!"

"Don't worry, I don't want to go to John O'Groats, I don't even know the way!"

Don't you agree? Ok maybe the car analogy is a little flawed (I really can't see BMW only allowing you to drive on certain roads) but you get the point.

Anyway, I think the iPhone 4 has everything the 3GS should have had when it came out. All of the hardware additions (apart from maybe the screen and front facing camera) are nothing new. Many of you are right in commenting that Apple do get a lot of press for stuff that isn't that amazing (Getting claps and cheers when announcing an LED flash for example.) But the iPhone works for people, and that's what's important.

There are pro's and con's to each device and ecosystem as outlined above, for most people the iPhone is still a better alternative, but hopefully that will change in the future.

Upvote 0
It's the way Apple talks about their products which cause hate, not anything else. The iPhone has a place and its a perfectly acceptable smart phone, but Apple insist in talking about it like its iJesus the second coming....and it just isn't.

I'm interested to see the new iPhone and how ppl find the 2 3rds multitasking etc but is never buy one for myself, to closed to strict.

On a side note my mum is loving her desire :D

Upvote 0
I don't think that works either, as android is definitely becoming cool

Note I used the word 'perceived cool'. BMWs used to be quite cool, but for quite a few years they've been anything but (IMHO at least). Somebody genuinely 'cool' wouldn't be seen in a BMW and probably wouldn't be trying to use a car to demonstrate their cool credentials at all (with the exception of the Isetta of course!)
14-80420146653-r1.jpg

Here's how one of these conversations might look...

"But BMW won't let you go to John O'Groats, don't buy a BMW!!!"

"Don't worry, I don't want to go to John O'Groats, I don't even know the way!"

Don't you agree?

I do sort of agree, but for me - even if I don't want to drive to John O'Groats I'd resent being told that I wasn't allowed to and I think that captures it in a nutshell.

My son's got an iPod Touch and whilst he loves it, and even I quite like it as a device, it annoys the hell out of me being forced to install pretty crappy proprietary software onto my PC in order to use it (or recover it when it crashes, which incidentally it's done quite a few times, normally when we're furthest away from the home PC and unable to recover from a laptop or an alternative computer). Even if iTunes were any good (something I would definitely disagree with) I'd still resent being told that I had to use it.

Ditto the app store telling me I can only buy apps approved by the supplier of the hardware, especially knowing that they're taking a big slice of the cash from the developer without giving them any option of another route to market).

Whether or not I choose to make full use of the freedom offered to me by an open solution is neither here nor there for me, the important factor is that feeling of choice and knowing that I can if I want to.

Upvote 0
And I agree with you in many ways about the locked down nature of the device and the software, which is why I own a Desire. However like I still maintain, we are a minority in that respect. Most people simply do not care.

However I have to say, I like iTunes. I use it as my default video and music player and I don't see why not. I buy CD's and iTunes makes it super easy to import them and keep everything organised, complete with album artwork and a nice, easy to use interface. I don't understand why you think iTunes is crap? Without iTunes the iPod or iPhone wouldn't be anywhere near as good. In fact, that's the only thing I miss about my iPhone; how slick the integration between phone and computer is.

No other route to market? I would accept that if Apple were the only ones with a mobile OS to develop for, but they aren't; there's Android, WinMo, Blackberry and Symbian. (mostly) So if the devs don't like it, go elsewhere. D'ya wanna know why they don't? Because 70% of sales from a market of that size is better than 100% of sales from a small market. Yeah OK I think that Apple are a little cheeky in taking a cut from the developers, but they offer a huge user base and the advertising to make the apps sell in huge quantities in return. If it was REALLY that bad for developers they wouldn't go down the iPhone route, there are plenty of other opportunities, but the figures seem to speak otherwise...

But hey, hopefully if Google get their act together and make some pretty simple changes to the market many devs will jump ship and come to android, which will be nice for us! :)

Upvote 0
"Android is a lot more fragmented from a development standpoint due to its open-source nature and myriad handsets all with differing capability. This can be both a good and bad thing. It's hard to keep an Android phone from becoming dated quickly due to the speed with which Android handsets hit the market. Software update frequency is hardware-dependent as well."
I read that somewhere...
Anyways, what would be a better choice for a 16 year old, iPhone or htc desire?
And would htc desire become obsolete in 1-2 years?

Suggestions? Why?

Upvote 0
a desire will still be perfectly capable in a year.

However Apple will release a new iphone with all the stuff the 4 should of had just like they have done with every single iphone before.

picture messaging, apple brand multitasking, wallpapers, camera flash, iOS 4 etc the list goes on.

and u can bet notifications, tethering etc will be included on the next iphone.

While Android may include new stuff each release i never feel it was cynically left out of the OS to ensure future sales.

Upvote 0
a desire will still be perfectly capable in a year.

However Apple will release a new iphone with all the stuff the 4 should of had just like they have done with every single iphone before.

picture messaging, apple brand multitasking, wallpapers, camera flash, iOS 4 etc the list goes on.

While Android may include new stuff each release i never feel it was cynically left out of the OS to ensure future sales.

But the thing is that android devices are coming out so quickly.
Like there are already rumors of 1.5ghz processor, 8mp camera for the European market etc.
Just so hard to choose the right time to buy.

Upvote 0
tech always out dates fast, as long as you pick ur device it will age well.

i will eat my desire if its still not capable at the end of my contract.

the iphone will be outdated just a quickly remember, as is no revolutiuonary bit of tech even before it comes out. But you will pay Apple like it is a world beater.

if u can go play with handsets go play.

the desire is top dog atm, id still take it over the 4 at the same price (which would never ever happen!)

Upvote 0
tech always out dates fast, as long as you pick ur device it will age well.

i will eat my desire if its still not capable at the end of my contract.

the iphone will be outdated just a quickly remember, as is no revolutiuonary bit of tech even before it comes out. But you will pay Apple like it is a world beater.

if u can go play with handsets go play.

the desire is top dog atm, id still take it over the 4 at the same price (which would never ever happen!)

Also, how is the quality of games on android for ex: FIFA 10 or something.
I've heard that you can get magazine subcriptions on an iPhone, is it also possible on android?

Upvote 0

You do realise that you can tether on an iPhone 3G?

And push notifications have been available for ages?

My dad is still using his iPhone 3G. It is not incapable just because the 3GS was released, not is it incapable just because the iPhone 4 was released...

The iPhone 4 seems to be a great competitor to the HTC Desire, and I simply don't see how anyone can deny that...

And if you do think that just because new hardware is released, a phone is useless, why are you on Android?

Upvote 0
yeah its a competitor...for a significant increase in cost with very few benifits and several significant draw backs.

if apples notifications are so good why have they hired the guy who did webOS's?

google hired the user experience guy because its what Android is weaker on...i dont think apple hired that guy for shits and giggles!

Upvote 0
Also, how is the quality of games on android for ex: FIFA 10 or something.
I've heard that you can get magazine subcriptions on an iPhone, is it also possible on android?

games are meh, its easily the weakest part of android, however there are more than enough things when procrastination calls =)

as far as im aware no you cant, however given androids recent market surge and several very good top end devices i would bet they will come within the year.

Upvote 0
Good read :) good thread OP!

As what I want to say has already been said, I'll say, 'Ditto' ...although I think it's stupid to have a forward facing camera that you can ONLY use on WIFI AND ONLY with another iPhone 4 :/ Oh...and notice that its iPhone 4 and not iPhone 4G as everyone had thought Apple would call its new iPhone.

iPhone users: People that like to have something nice/pretty and not really think on how to make it work better for them. The phone works as required out of the box without any changes needed and they are happy wtih that. Basically your average John Doe and Jane Doe

Adroid users: People that like options on hardware and options on what they can do with their phones with the ability to customize their user experience. Restrictions of any kind make these people go crazy :D These people are your tech savvy geeks...although this is changing as Android becomes popular and....mainstream and gets into the hands of our John and Jane.

On the posts about paid and free apps, I'd just want to say that the free apps still generate money for the developers. They don't get a onetime payment from the user, but their app generates money over its life, as long as people continue to use it. The developers get money from the ads on the apps. I hate ads, but I want the apps free, so this is something that I can live with.

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
yeah its a competitor...for a significant increase in cost with very few benifits and several significant draw backs.

if apples notifications are so good why have they hired the guy who did webOS's?

Did I say that Apple's notifications were "so good"? You didn't elaborate in your original comment, you simply stated that Apple currently didn't have notifications.

And the pricing has not, to my knowledge, been announced by any carrier.

Upvote 0
I had a desire. After 3 days it broke. I got a refund. In those 3 days it seemed overly complicated but potentially very powerful.
My wife has an iphone - has had one for a year. It's still working. It's slick. It does everything she wants and more.

Android needs work but has potential . There's no point in buying potential - it'll be overtaken before its realised. Life's too short.

So, I'm getting an Iphone4. It does everything I'll need to do and does it now. And will do for the next year or so. Then, I'll see.

Upvote 0
The problem for me with apple (any apple product) is how restricted they are. Locked down. Take an apple mac for example, want to change registry entries? Good luck!

I like to customise everything and if I can't, I'm not interested.

I would also mention taht everyone has an iphone, but teh desire seems to have taken off somewhat ;)

Exact same reason, I like apple to be honest but HATE iphone OS or "iOS" Not the best of names in my opinion. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones